Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if front differential oil can be topped up or changed? We have had a humming noise coming from the front somewhere for some time. Wheel bearings have been changed, and now my husband is replacing the front drive shaft. When he took the old one out, he expected oil to come with it, but there was none! It is completely dry where it connects to the diff?? It even looks rusty. He can’t see any drain plug in the diff housing at all. Does anyone have any idea please?
Whilst he was doing it he fount a broken coil spring in the suspension. New pair ordered. He doesn’t think that would cause a humming noise, but the headlights haven’t been properly auto adjusting, and I wonder if that had an effect on things.
Thanks for any help on front diff issue 😊

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm pretty sure the differential is in the gearbox; you might be talking about the transfer box which only has a filler plug, not a drain plug.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Can anyone tell me if front differential oil can be topped up or changed? We have had a humming noise coming from the front somewhere for some time. Wheel bearings have been changed, and now my husband is replacing the front drive shaft. When he took the old one out, he expected oil to come with it, but there was none! It is completely dry where it connects to the diff?? It even looks rusty. He can’t see any drain plug in the diff housing at all. Does anyone have any idea please?
Whilst he was doing it he fount a broken coil spring in the suspension. New pair ordered. He doesn’t think that would cause a humming noise, but the headlights haven’t been properly auto adjusting, and I wonder if that had an effect on things.
Thanks for any help on front diff issue 😊
I sucked mine out with a syringe and some clear hose, not easy to do and refilled the same way. Use volvo oil as cheaper than Ford and same type that goes in rear diff ( not haldex)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure the differential is in the gearbox; you might be talking about the transfer box which only has a filler plug, not a drain plug.
Thanks for your reply. It’s the bit the end of the driveshaft goes into (offside)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sucked mine out with a syringe and some clear hose, not easy to do and refilled the same way. Use volvo oil as cheaper than Ford and same type that goes in rear diff ( not haldex)
Thanks for your reply. Are you talking about rear diff? I need to get him to come online as I am just the go between 😂😂 We are in the process of downloading a manual. It seems the diff is part of the Power Control Unit, but when the driveshaft came out the end was totally dry??? He can’t find a drain plug or a filler plug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts