Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have purchased this on Aliexpress thought would give a try never used Forscan before new to me. I do not now wether it Chinese crap or user error but can not get software to find scanner. Any help or dustbin.

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
785 Posts
They are usually called an ELM327, make sure it's a modified one with a switch to enable both MS & HS Can.

The better quality ones like the OBDLink EX doesn't need the switch as it does it automatically, this is the one that Forscan recommend.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
They are usually called an ELM327, make sure it's a modified one with a switch to enable both MS & HS Can.

The better quality ones like the OBDLink EX doesn't need the switch as it does it automatically, this is the one that Forscan recommend.
I have seen the ELS alternative before and think it was in some Russian site making referrals to using UCDS on ford. It's a posh elm327 without the need for an external switch.

Reactions: andspenka

·
Registered
Premium White 2018 Kuga ST 183BHP Auto 4x4
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The unit is a ELS27 I was led to believe that this switches from MS and HS. I have read that this is a Chinese rip off of the Russian rip off model.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Most of the ELM327's are a clone or even a copy of a clone. I believe the original ELM327 is made by OHP. They are usually about £20 on Amazon.

I bought the OBDLink EX. I was a bit surprised how light it was and no real difference in size to the ELM. I guess it's what on the inside that counts. I have a DS150e which looks a quality bit of diagnostic hardware. It's quite big like the genuine ford interface.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You may have to install the driver manually for it first. If it doesn't show as connected in device manager then its not going to work. It would appear that the genuine ELS27 is about £50 and I just read an article on the Chinese clones. If you plan on having a ford for a long time it would be worth the investment of buying a genuine OBDlink EX or the genuine ELM327 by OHP.

OBDLink EX OBD-II / EOBD Car Diagnostic Interface (USB) designed for ForScan (gendan.co.uk)

ELMconfig USB device 500kbit/s ELM327 compatible interface with MS-CAN switch for Forscan FoCCCus OBD2 diagnostics …: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

·
3,000 Posts
If you plan on having a ford for a long time it would be worth the investment of buying a genuine OBDlink EX or the genuine ELM327 by OHP.
It will also work on other car brands. I'm not sure on what the compatibility of the ELS327 is like?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts