Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Best recommendations for the above item please

·
Registered
51 Posts
I also have the MX Bluetooth, but one thing to keep in mind is that if you want to go the whole nine yards (flash firmware or do more complex cfg) , there's no replacement for a wired adapter. All explained in the post shared by AMC1.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
there's no replacement for a wired adapter
I only bought the MX Bluetooth after bricking my Kuga using a "wired" modified ELM327 with a switch. Searching Focus and Mondeo forums (where they are more active with mods using ForScan) it was the one most highly recommended. I did have concerns about it being wireless, but have not had any issues- it's a lot better than my modded ELM327 (which wasn't a cheap one and supposedly guaranteed to work with FoCCCus and ForScan.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, first, that's a switch based one one, which is said in said forum that it won't work for some operations, and secondly, yes, there are some "mines" in that said forum. But still, all the persons I have also seen that want to really do complicated stuff like programming, use the wired. I have seen this also on the Romanian Ford forum. Depends on the use case.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I use a VCM2 (poper 2 board unit) for module programming/ firmware updates on FORScan.

Wouldn't trust wireless and wouldn't trust my Proscan Automove ELM Config either.

I've done Powershift Gear and Clutch learns with the ELM without issue.

There are knockoff ELM adapters for sale with reduced instruction sets on the chip, someone on the FORScan forum posted a program up to check if you have a "real" one.

Like everything else cheap Chinese knockoffs have made buying a simple adapter a minefield..

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
But still, all the persons I have also seen that want to really do complicated stuff like programming, use the wired. I have seen this also on the Romanian Ford forum. Depends on the use case.
I did my research on mainly US forums- the MX Bluetooth is highly recommended on the Escape, Fusion (Mondeo) and Focus forums. eg. this guy does a lot of mods using the MX Bluetooth. FORScan - Modify Module As-Built Data (Detailed)

There are knockoff ELM adapters for sale with reduced instruction sets on the chip, someone on the FORScan forum posted a program up to check if you have a "real" one.
Mine was made by Shop Home - it failed dismally with FoCCCus. It might be okay with ForScan (which seems less demanding on the interface.)

I use a VCM2 (poper 2 board unit) for module programming/ firmware updates on FORScan.
Is the VCM II you've got a copy of what Ford uses; you need the software too don't you? eg. Ford VCM II | Bosch Diagnostics and Welcome - Ford VCM 2 IDS

·
Registered
913 Posts
I did my research on mainly US forums- the MX Bluetooth is highly recommended on the Escape, Fusion (Mondeo) and Focus forums. eg. this guy does a lot of mods using the MX Bluetooth. FORScan - Modify Module As-Built Data (Detailed)

Mine was made by Shop Home - it failed dismally with FoCCCus. It might be okay with ForScan (which seems less demanding on the interface.)

Is the VCM II you've got a copy of what Ford uses; you need the software too don't you? eg. Ford VCM II | Bosch Diagnostics and Welcome - Ford VCM 2 IDS
It's the same unit (Bosch VCM2 clone). With the drivers off the Bosch website it works perfectly with FORScan.

I have Ford IDS as well but frankly it's awful to use in comparison to FORScan.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's the Ford tool for module updates/ module programming and service work.

Works with their IDS software and FORScan, would expect Foccus as well.

As far as I can see it's industry standard interface.

Connects through ODBII port but has direct access to all modules.

What program were you thinking of running.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I was wondering if it would do the same as the Ford workshop kit. I'm guessing the issue would be getting your hands on the official Ford software?
You can get IDS (Ford workshop software) on a virtual machine but that is a bit questionable legally speaking.

For Module Updates etc you need the strategies/ calibrations etc from FORD but they are slowly pulling them all off the website (something to do with Snap-On I believe).

I have successfully programmed modules with a beta of FORScan and the VCM2 but you will have to request the software from the FORScan team.

I haven't come across anything yet that IDS can do but FORScan can't on my 2013 Mk2 Powershift.

Just be careful where you go poking as FORScan have a disclaimer about bricked modules and rightly so, use at own risk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts