Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
MY22 Kuga PHEV ST-Line
12 Posts
Thanks, it's strange as it was the dealer who highlighted these features and told me to sync the app with my car, so I assumed that on board modems were standard now. It's would be a shame to lose out on all the connectivity it offers.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Is it new, or preloved?

Like you, I’d assume the modem was now standard based on the features offered up by the car/Sync.

Looks to me like the Modem is missing, not recognised or not enabled. Probably one for the dealer I’m afraid!

The Emergency call thing is probably related, as it’d make use of the modem/sim/phone capabilities I’d assume.

Reactions: davidoff

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A quick Google for ‘Ford ESN missing’, seems to suggest a faulty/missing modem 😩

Some suggestions such as pulling the fuse/disconnecting the battery to ‘reset’ mate help. But being honest, my gut would be faulty/missing. And if new, I’d just go the dealer route. A real shame/ballache, but hopefully you get sorted quickly!

Reactions: davidoff

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Hoping someone can give me some advice... collected my ST Line PHEV from the dealer today, doing fine, just can't connect it up to the Ford pass app... keep trying to activate from my phone and it fails.

I'm wondering if there is some issue with connectivity in the car itself... I looked in the settings to see the serial number for the on board modem and it shows nothing... when trying to do connected stuff from the dashboard it shows 'Emergency call system malfunction service required'. Perhaps something needs reset? I've attached some screenshots to show what I mean.

I've emailed the dealer for assistance in any case, has anyone seen this type of issue before?

View attachment 12342

View attachment 12344

View attachment 12345
Straight back to the dealer as you have a fault with emergency call and on board modem. Yours is the third emergency call fault I have seen this week. The on-board modem needs enabling by the dealer as part of the PDI, get them to confirm that they have done this. All new Kugas have a modem. All you should need to do is turn on mobile data on your phone and pair it for a properly loaded app to work.

·
Registered
MY22 Kuga PHEV ST-Line
12 Posts
Thanks for all the help, it's brand new, got it today, so thought it was strange that it wasn't working. Not urgent but more annoying than anything... will give the dealer a call tomorrow.

·
Banned
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
2,464 Posts
It’s outrageous you pay that much for a new car and they don’t prep it properly. Makes you wonder what else they missed.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Thanks for all the help, it's brand new, got it today, so thought it was strange that it wasn't working. Not urgent but more annoying than anything... will give the dealer a call tomorrow.
Do keep us posted Ford pass should automatically find your vehicle if you have mobile data switched on on your phone.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Be interesting to hear the outcome. My unit was clearly tested as I had Spanish journeys & addresses (of the factory/compound) stored in my FordPass when it arrived as new.

Im wondering if your modem has simply failed, or maybe even come loose or, is demand so high that it just got missed/not tested.

it’s annoying for sure, but these things happen, and how you’re treated now plays a large part in the over all customer satisfaction/experience.

Reactions: NigelB

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
What is wrong with Fords QC?

How many members with new mk3 have had issues with components failing in a very short period. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: NigelB

·
Registered
MY22 Kuga PHEV ST-Line
12 Posts
Taking it in this afternoon so one of their technicians can have a quick look, think they are going to try resetting everything, if that doesn't work will need booked in for a longer slot.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
The modem should activate as soon as it comes out of transit mode and the PDI is commenced. I actually got an alert on my phone as transit mode was switched off. Hopefully it's just a simple oversight.

·
Registered
MY22 Kuga PHEV ST-Line
12 Posts
It looks like the issues are with Ford Pass at the moment, the servicing guy was able to talk to the car on his system, it just wasn't able to transfer any information over as it hasn't been activated in Ford Pass yet. They have had a couple of other customers with new cars (different models) with the same problems, so said to leave it a few days and see if Ford fix the issue.

The service manager tried to activate another car with the app (hadn't been done yet) and it did the same thing... doesn't get past activate vehicle. Just love it when all this new tech works first time!!! 🤨

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Ford's QC with Ford Pass has always been "toilet" with constant server issues. Hopefully when they find the guy with the key to the broom cupboard in which they keep the server they can reboot it and solve the issues.

·
Registered
MY22 Kuga PHEV ST-Line
12 Posts
Just had communication from the dealer saying that there is an internal error with the Ford Pass app that they are working on... sounds very reliable!

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Just had communication from the dealer saying that there is an internal error with the Ford Pass app that they are working on... sounds very reliable!
Par for the course Paul, I could never get it working for more than a week or two at a time on my old Kuga. Just when you got it working Ford 'improved' it. Their definition of 'improve' is, of course, somewhat divorced from the real world.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga Mk3 1.5 EcoBlue 120 PS 8 Speed Automatic ST-Line X Editon. ecs as at 5 Oct
10 Posts
Ref Ford Pass. Mine was working fine and I was receiving info on my journeys, eg, distance, braking etc., then I was informed they were "improving it", and that particular facility was never to be seen again. For the last two days, I have been unable to activate Ford Pass. I also asked a well known motoring site about the legality of remotely starting the car using Ford Pass and leaving it running for the maximum of thirty minutes. It took two weeks and three hasteners to inform me, by email, that it is only legal if the car is parked on private land such as one's driveway. My question did not appear on the readers' question section of the website and it leaves me with the question, why not? I believe other cars are using this now so perhaps it's a good selling point but one which they don't want too many folk to know about especially given the present climate fears.
I also tried updating the satnav by using an Apple MacBook Air. I informed the software folk that it was unsuccessful and they said to use a PC, which I did, and it still didn't work. I am fortunate to be able to download using my house wi-fi but my neighbour tried the PC method and using my wi-fi, but was unsuccessful. That particular aspect of Ford is sadly lacking.
I agree that the Ford dealer is responsible for supplying you with a vehicle that is fit for purpose and for which you paid and probably waited quite a while for.

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
I recall being taken to task by someone when I said the car should come fully updated with nothing outstanding…..this cements my views.

·
Super Moderator
3,650 Posts
Ref Ford Pass. Mine was working fine and I was receiving info on my journeys, eg, distance, braking etc., then I was informed they were "improving it", and that particular facility was never to be seen again. For the last two days, I have been unable to activate Ford Pass. I also asked a well known motoring site about the legality of remotely starting the car using Ford Pass and leaving it running for the maximum of thirty minutes. It took two weeks and three hasteners to inform me, by email, that it is only legal if the car is parked on private land such as one's driveway. My question did not appear on the readers' question section of the website and it leaves me with the question, why not? I believe other cars are using this now so perhaps it's a good selling point but one which they don't want too many folk to know about especially given the present climate fears.
I also tried updating the satnav by using an Apple MacBook Air. I informed the software folk that it was unsuccessful and they said to use a PC, which I did, and it still didn't work. I am fortunate to be able to download using my house wi-fi but my neighbour tried the PC method and using my wi-fi, but was unsuccessful. That particular aspect of Ford is sadly lacking.
I agree that the Ford dealer is responsible for supplying you with a vehicle that is fit for purpose and for which you paid and probably waited quite a while for.
A lot of the previously useful functions like journeys and distance have now been permanently removed from Ford Pass. However, in so doing, they seem to have screwed up the basic functionality. Typical Ford I'm afraid.

·
Registered
MY22 Kuga PHEV ST-Line X Edition with Driver Assistance
30 Posts
I got the Emergency Call malfunction messages too a few times in the last couple of days, but I guess it is to do with the connection issues to their servers. We know in UK they use Vodafone and there have been issues on the Vodafone network in some areas in the last 2-3 days, Vodafone acknowledged this and planned fix is by 17 June (got this from other community forums i'm in)...so may be this is linked to some of the communication/connection alerts we see on our MK3s.

·
Registered
MY22 Kuga PHEV ST-Line
12 Posts
The servicing guy at the garage did say that the Emergency Call malfunction messages were likely due to the battery that powers that not having got enough charge yet since its a new car. Suggested this would go away after a few days and the battery had some power in it.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts