Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Ford Kuga PHEV Recall

66K views 311 replies 54 participants last post by  smartguy69 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

As the Ford Kuga PHEV recall in relation to battery fires said to fix the issue by sending parts end of this month.
As we are now near the end August 2020, is there anyone there yet to be called by the dealer to have it fix? or any updates will be highly be appreciated.

Thanks

Indigo.

#144 ·
Interesting that BMW seem to be having similar challenges.

If there is commonality of suppliers, somebody’s going to be getting a bit of a kicking! Hope they’ve got some decent product recall insurance!

Let’s see whether BMW are able to find a quicker resolution. Not sure how we’ll tell (unless anybody here has a PHEV BMW as well as a Kuga?) but I wonder if they’ll do a better job of keeping their customers informed of progress with finding a solution, as Ford’s effort to date has been diabolical!

#147 ·
Some info on recall, I have just visited .gov.uk website, their Check Vehicle Recalls section.

Two recalls listed as detailed below, includes number of vehicles involved in each issue:-

Dated 26th Sept 2020

FORD KUGA 2020
This vehicle has 2 recalls.

THE HV BATTERY PACK CAN OVERHEAT AND RESULT IN THE VENTING OF HOT GAS
Recall numberR/2020/224
Recall date04-09-2020
Recall typeSafety recall

Reason for recall
The HV battery pack can overheat and result in the venting of hot gas which can ignite vehicle components or in extreme cases the entire vehicle.
How to check if the vehicle is recalled
Contact the local FORD dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.
How the manufacturer will repair
To prevent a vehicle fire the vehicles should not be charged using the external charging cable and the vehicles should only be driven using the default Auto EV mode only.
Number of affected vehicles

THE HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY CONTROL CHARGER MODULE CONNECTOR MAY BE DAMAGED
Recall numberR/2020/196
Recall date02-07-2020
Recall typeSafety recall

Reason for recall
The High Voltage Battery Control Charger Module (BCCM) connector may be damaged
How to check if the vehicle is recalled
Contact the local FORD dealership or manufacturer. You will not need to pay for anything involving the recall.
How the manufacturer will repair
An inspection of the BCCM is required to confirm an undamaged connector. If a failed inspection occurs the vehicle must be reworked with a replacement BCCM and charge cable.
Number of affected vehicles

#150 ·
There seems to be 2 threads on the recall

Copied from Facebook

Hi Guys.

Hope you are all well.

So, I spoke with Mr. Barratt yesterday afternoon, apologies for the delay in updating but I wanted to digest our conversation.
I'm more than convinced that communication around the fix is near. As I've intimated before, this is not necessarily in Fords hands, they can only work as fast as others will allow. The implementation of the fix however is entirely in Fords hands and their dealers.
They are also working on the best way to roll out the fix, focusing on the specific types of situations cars are in currently, whether sat at dealers, in Valencia, at ports or on customers drives. There are 30k+ cars to attend to.
Next, they are working on the compensation package which I believe will be appropriate to the particular customer segments...owners, pending owners, lease owners etc.
Since the latter stages of the recall, I've heard various reports of certain customers being given interim cars, having their rejections granted without fuss and their specific situations being addressed by Ford UK. If that's YOU, please highlight your experience here.

I saw a post earlier on the question of a group case being brought against Ford.....not something I would be involved in. We've each got to find our own way of getting closure on the disappointment we've experienced.

I expect that the next time I post, will be with outline details of the fix and a timeline. [emoji1695]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#151 ·
Thanks Roasty for keeping us up to date. I came to a different Ford dealer the other day and pretending does not know anything about the recall and the service manager mentioned to me that they have are 3 Kuga PHEV that they don't release due to this recall (so sorry for the owners ) and yet no update still about this recall.

It's been almost 2 months now using petrol where I am free to charge from our company site. I hope in few weeks time a fix will come up.🤞

#153 ·
So our fix came. And then we were told we still can’t charge it.

I cannot believe that they recalled our car today, to do a recall, which literally does nothing to stop it from setting on fire.
Even the service manager at Evans Halshaw Cardiff said he has no idea when it will be fixed. His best guess was that the batteries will need to be replaced.

Rejection of the car has begun. Hopefully the New Hyundai Tucson has a PHEV model.
Such a shame because our Kuga is such a great car to be in and to drive.

#156 ·
Definitely sounds like a battery issue if the cars in America are not affected. I doubt the American version would have a different design to European unless emissions were involved.

#178 ·
I'm from Canada. Nobody have received an Escape PHEV in North America. Production is delayed to the first half of 2021, they will not have any Escape PHEV 2020 on the road. Some people are waiting for their Escape since February. I'm waiting for mine since August.

#168 ·
Not sure if this is related to the issues afore mentioned but I've had my Kuga ST Line x on order since August with no news of a delivery date (late Oct he thought). The dealer rang me the other day to say it had been put back because of battery issues to probably December, this was because of damage that could be caused going over bumps - speed bumps etc, to the underside of the battery. Production had stopped and all cars recalled. He said Ford have sorted a fix but I'll just have to wait.

#169 ·
I think I would be cancelling anything to do with their Phev models until such time it is officially sorted. I went and had a look at the MK3 yesterday. It does remind me of a cx5. Only critism externally was the tyres look too big for the wheels.

#170 ·
I’ve said that from day one about the tyres.

I’m one of those folks that see a new motor and says, “nope” then they grow on me, like the mk2.5. I just can’t get over it’s front looks, arsed end is ok and the interior is not to my liking.

I guess all new models have “teething issues” and I feel for the new owners and what appears to be “Fords” generic, who gives a 💩 response.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.