Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Advice on rejecting a vehicle and UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 .
  1. The dealer is unlikely to meekly accept your rejection of the vehicle. A rejection will cost them thousands of pounds, so they will either want to fight you (and potentially force you to take them to Court) or offer you other incentives to keep the car. If you accept any such offers, you will almost certainly waive any further right to reject the vehicle.

The reality is this will not be fixed in 2020 and likely at the earliest it will be mid 2021.

£500 will not get a lot of fuel and washes Fords hands of the issue.

Just in case you aren't aware of the Ford statement.
Ford have made it clear that people can reject the car at any time for a full refund up to the point the car is fixed. There will not be any need for legal cases / advice.

£500 is intended to make up the difference between running in EV Normal mode and what you might achieve by plugging in. It is not intended to pay for all the fuel you use. I'm sure if the fix is delayed then there will be more compensation applied. Apart from plugging in, the car is working normally.

Timescales for repair - you are just guessing as you don't know what the fix is - nor do any of us. If it is a change to control systems to change charging logic it may be a quick fix. No point speculating about time scales.

The problem seems to be related to contaminated batteries from the supplier that also includes batteries for BMW.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In my opinion if the fuel card only replaces the extra fuel needed whilst the fix is sorted, then it will have been no extra goodwill on the behalf of Ford. Still paying monthly payments which are much higher than those just for a HEV model!
Ford have made it clear that people can reject the car at any time for a full refund up to the point the car is fixed. There will not be any need for legal cases / advice.

£500 is intended to make up the difference between running in EV Normal mode and what you might achieve by plugging in. It is not intended to pay for all the fuel you use. I'm sure if the fix is delayed then there will be more compensation applied. Apart from plugging in, the car is working normally.

Timescales for repair - you are just guessing as you don't know what the fix is - nor do any of us. If it is a change to control systems to change charging logic it may be a quick fix. No point speculating about time scales.

The problem seems to be related to contaminated batteries from the supplier that also includes batteries for BMW.
But what about monthly repayments being higher than HEV ones would be?

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my opinion if the fuel card only replaces the extra fuel needed whilst the fix is sorted, then it will have been no extra goodwill on the behalf of Ford. Still paying monthly payments which are much higher than those just for a HEV model!

But what about monthly repayments being higher than HEV ones would be?
The fuel payments are intended to put you back into the same position you would have been if you could have recharged it, nothing more. Why should you get more, you are being compensated for your loss. If you wanted the FHEV version you could buy that and save the money up front / monthly, although you will pay more in RFL and fuel so you wouldn't actually save anything in the long run.

The car still works in every respect apart from the plug in recharging, so that is the only thing you should be compensated for, which returns you financially to where you would have been if allowed to charge it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The car still works in every respect apart from the plug in recharging, so that is the only thing you should be compensated for, which returns you financially to where you would have been if allowed to charge it.

Sorry but I disagree with your statement as posted above that the vehicle is working in every respect.
It is primarily a PHEV vehicle which was designed and currently can't be used as intended.
Owners are currently unable to charge the vehicle or run it on pure electric power. Drivers are now being told not to drive in sports mode.
To sum up, the vehicle is unfit for purpose end of !

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
211 Posts
The vehicle certainly does not function In every respect you cant use any of the drive modes except normal ....the 12v battery has issues the blind spot indicator on the drivers side has a known issue where it keeps giving false indications not to mention the hassle maybe taking time from work to keep going back to the dealers the loss of the environmental saving as sold as a greener vehicle ....I could go on .....the package offered really only touches the surface.....In my opinion

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Ford are only obliged legally to recompense you for any financial loss suffered. Anything over and above that is purely goodwill. I would suggest to anyone who has bought the PHEV to make note of their personal financial loss and then take up with Ford individually or as a group if you don't think what has been offered is enough. There will be a big margin between low and high mileage users and what will be right for one person won't be the other. Not to mention it is still early days with no solution of a fixed date. I only spend £80 on fuel a month but some of you may spend that every couple of days.

What you cannot expect is for you to be £500 out of pocket and then be looking at Ford to compensate you £1,000's. The amount given back by Ford has to be reasonable with the loss sustained but not less.

There is something else to be considered though about the future depreciation of the cars manufactured in 2020 as that could have some bearing in the market if the fix doesn't work or has continuing issues and it doesn't bear thinking about if they withdraw the model from sale.

If it was me I would be considering giving the car back and recovering my losses now. I believe that Ford have said they will take the car back at the value paid for it. That sounds like a good deal to me and is one that could be removed in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What you cannot expect is for you to be £500 out of pocket and then be looking at Ford to compensate you £1,000's. The amount given back by Ford has to be reasonable with the loss sustained but not less.

There is something else to be considered though about the future depreciation of the cars manufactured in 2020 as that could have some bearing in the market if the fix doesn't work or has continuing issues and it doesn't bear thinking about if they withdraw the model from sale.
I wonder how will Ford compensate for the extra wear and tear to the petrol engine....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ford are also giving a 3 year service and maintenance plan as a good will gesture but what does this actually give you? The service intervals are 2 years or 30000kms so does that mean we will get 1 free service?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yes ...as the 12month and 36
check is optional I think not mandatory

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
It's just a mess and I am really really sorry for you guys (and girls). For me I would just be living with the problem (if not wanting to return), but if it was my wife's car she would be extremely upset about it all so understand how you feel. She bought an 11 month old Mokka only to find 2 days later it had some creases in the roof. She was upset for ages but its nothing compared to what you guys have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
I have a discussion with the Ford Finance in relation to bringing back the car and getting back my deposit. They actually in full support if the car is not really fit for purpose but you have write a letter and detailed the issues. According to them the normal procedure is once they received the letter, they will send an engineer to look at the car though I explained to them that this is a 2nd recall affecting all PHEV across Europe.

I also talk to the Dealer and of course there's a bit of a resistance of receiving back the car as they are saying "Ford has a fix but still on process and is doing their best to this issue" (so tired of hearing that).

It is so sad to do this because this is such a good car however, the uncertainties of this car in terms of depreciation and trade-in value in the future is a big question mark or Ford might phase this model out in the market.

I will wait until end of October, if there's no good update then I will attempt to return the car back, I don't know how if this is a good decision but will keep you posted.

·
Registered
39 Posts

In the last email i received from Ford it states: "we would like to remind you that your Kuga PHEV should not be charged via any kind of external power source and that you should only drive your Kuga in EV Auto mode and that you should not use the drive modes such as Sport, Eco or Snow/Sand mode" so just hope that
it doesn't snow in the meantime!
I have also asked about the status of the car for trailer towing. Can it still be done in EV mode??
So, not just about the battery issue at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In the last email i received from Ford it states: "we would like to remind you that your Kuga PHEV should not be charged via any kind of external power source and that you should only drive your Kuga in EV Auto mode and that you should not use the drive modes such as Sport, Eco or Snow/Sand mode" so just hope that
it doesn't snow in the meantime!
I have also asked about the status of the car for trailer towing. Can it still be done in EV mode??
So, not just about the battery issue at all.
EV auto mode will be fine for towing - it is the default on startup. Towing in EV mode - not sure what the handbook says but you wouldn't get far towing in EV mode anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
EV auto mode will be fine for towing - it is the default on startup. Towing in EV mode - not sure what the handbook says but you wouldn't get far towing in EV mode anyway.
It states that you should not tow in EV mode. But I am still waiting for a reply to ensure EV auto mode is still ok for towing. As for the car working normally, this is not the case. You cannot use the drive modes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope that was a joke ! The ICE is designed to run for 100k miles plus so will be completely unaffected.
Not joking at all. How many more miles are being done by the ICE that could be done with electric alone? I've had my Kuga since end of July and I've done nearly 11,000 miles, 2,000 of those (give or take) could have been taken by the electric motor

·
Registered
2020 ‘70 plate ST-Line X PHEV 1st Edition - assuming it ever arrives!
17 Posts
I was 30 minutes away from taking delivery of my Kuga PHEV back in early September. It’s a company car through a lease company and even though the car is registered, they’ve said I can cancel the order if I want to.

Trouble is any replacement I order is unlikely to arrive before Jan 2021. Wonder whether I’m likely to see a fully-fixed Kuga before then?

In some ways, it’s tempting to start again and go with something like an Evoque PHEV, but I wonder if I’m cutting off my nose to spite my face?!

·
Registered
2020 ‘70 plate ST-Line X PHEV 1st Edition - assuming it ever arrives!
17 Posts
I also wonder whether the ‘fix’ is likely to result in less harvesting of energy from regenerative braking and inferior economy to what was originally advertised?

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's not the over charge that's the issue ...its when the cells are fully charged that theres a potential problem hence dont plug in notice and the fact that sport mode you could feasibly nearly get a full charge if accumulated ....

221 - 240 of 249 Posts