Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

201 - 220 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
220 Posts
Update from A Ford rep posted on the facebook group
All,
This is Jay Ward from Ford of Europe here. I wanted to follow up on a note you may have seen from Colin regarding an update that relates to the operation of your car and also regarding the 12v battery issue that some of you have faced.
Firstly and most importantly, you should know that we place the safety of our customers at the heart of everything that we do. We also are very aware of the huge inconvenience that the issues with your car have caused you and once again, we sincerely apologise for this.
For those of you who have followed various posts on the 12v battery issue that some cars have faced, you may have seen comments from owners about running the car in Sport or Snow/Sand mode as a way to drive charge in to the 12v battery.
Following on from these posts, there were follow up posts from some members who pointed out that the amount of charge that could be returned in to the high voltage battery was beyond what we at Ford had understood to be possible.
Since then, the teams around the world have been working to replicate this scenario in different tests, and we have discovered that this is indeed possible when running the car in Sport or Snow/Sand mode. Of course, this runs counter to our advice to not put charge in to the high voltage battery until the main issue is resolved.
As part of this testing, we also concluded that in fact, there was no benefit to the 12v battery in running the car in Sport or Sand/Snow mode and that the act of running the car in Normal mode had the same result but without the side effect of driving additional charge in to the high voltage battery.
As a result of this, we are asking our Kuga PHEV customers to please run their cars in EV Auto and Normal mode (which is the default mode that the car starts in).
In addition, we are letting any customers who have had 12v battery problems know that they should contact their dealer. The dealer has a service fix for a number of modules that affect the performance of the 12v battery. The work should take around an hour to complete. As a reminder, this is only necessary for customers who have had issues with their 12v battery.
Of course, we are very aware that this is yet another piece of advice about how to run your car, but we trust that the software updates that are available to address the 12v battery will mean that if you have had these issues, they should be addressed.
As I said up front, the safety of our customers is paramount to us. This is why we are informing you that as a result of our testing, we please ask you to drive your car in EV Auto and Normal mode.
Once again, on behalf of all of us at Ford Motor Company, I apologise for the situation we have placed you in, and I will stress that we are working day and night to fix these issues and get you back to enjoying your cars again
34You and 33 others
45 comments

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
So let me get this straight. Owners of the PHEV have been told not to plug the car in to charge it as there is a potential fire risk due to the batteries getting too hot and are unable to vent correctly.

Owners/drivers/persons not employed by Ford have discovered that by using Sports mode that the car drives a higher charge into the batteries than Ford thought possible.

If the first thing isn't bad enough, how on earth could the second point have got past fords research and development. Surely can't be that hard a test seeing how much charge is created depending on what mode is being used. It doesn't hear thinking about the batteries over heating whilst you are actually driving the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has Anyone through about rejecting their PHEV based on it is not fit for purpose? If you paid the deposit over £100 on a credit card you would be covered under section 75
I have decided I want a refund !
I work in manufacturing and if we have an issue we put a plan in place and assign a Project Manager & a team.
A project plan is put in place and timelines are defined.
This issue is ongoing for months now without a resolution in sight.

I didn't spend my money on a vehicle I can only partially use.
As stated " This issue is likely to take months rather than weeks"
The earliest this issue is likely to be resolved is 2021. My vehicle will be a year older and I still haven't had full use of it.
I have decided to return my vehicle to my dealer and requesting a full refund.

By law, sellers or suppliers must treat you fairly, for example, by making sure products and services are safe and of a high standard.

Sale of goods and supply of Services Act 1980 (Ireland) (Similar to The Consumer Rights Act 2015 UK)

When you buy products, they must be ‘in conformity with the contract’.
This means they must be:
Of merchantable quality – this means of reasonable and acceptable standard, taking into account other factors such as durability and price
Fit for the purpose you bought it for – they should work and do what they are reasonably expected to do
As described – they should match any description given in an advert or other information provided by the seller at the time of sale If the products you receive are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or do not match the description you were given, you have a right to certain remedies. A remedy could be a repair, replacement or a refund.

I was very happy with Kuga for the 2 weeks I was allowed to charge it and drive it.
When this issue is finally resolved I may purchase a new Kuga,
It will be a 2021 (Possibly 2022 by the way Ford are dragging their butt on this one).

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X first edition In Lucid Red
220 Posts
Yes I myself reported back to Jay from Ford I could re gen 54% in sport mode as well as others ...... maybe that’s fine if the batteries were healthy ..... but I suspect as they think the batteries are contaminated this is not safe.?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
It’s a huge risk charging the battery that we don’t know (even Ford) what the problem is to charge it via Sports Mode. If your Kuga caugth on fire on that mode it will just make the situation worst as Ford did not advice it at all. As our frustrations grow, still, we should not experiment on a 14,000 volts battery, let Fod solve their own engineering failure, car can be replaced but life won’t.

On the other hand, Ford Custmer Service said they will relaese the fuel card/voucher this week but never received it, I wonder if anyone of you got the fuel voucher or card already?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It’s a huge risk charging the battery that we don’t know (even Ford) what the problem is to charge it via Sports Mode. If your Kuga caugth on fire on that mode it will just make the situation worst as Ford did not advice it at all. As our frustrations grow, still, we should not experiment on a 14,000 volts battery, let Fod solve their own engineering failure, car can be replaced but life won’t.

On the other hand, Ford Custmer Service said they will relaese the fuel card/voucher this week but never received it, I wonder if anyone of you got the fuel voucher or card already?
I haven't received the fuelcard as yet. If we end up using it until no more money is left on it and there's still no fix what then I wonder?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
I haven't received the fuelcard as yet. If we end up using it until no more money is left on it and there's still no fix what then I wonder?
That is a possibility, as this is not a small problem, this may take next year in my best estimate. As battery replacement is not a plug-n-play device, it involves a lot of changes from connected components to computer boards, sensors etc.

As for those have the car already like me, frustrations and disappoinments are at the tipping point, how much more for those still waiting.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That is a possibility, as this is not a small problem, this may take next year in my best estimate. As battery replacement is not a plug-n-play device, it involves a lot of changes from connected components to computer boards, sensors etc.

As for those have the car already like me, frustrations and disappoinments are at the tipping point, how much more for those still waiting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Indigo, hope you don't mind but the HV battery voltage is around 300v not 14,000v as quoted in your post #206.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We cancelled our order last week as there is now no realistic time line for a fix. Our vehicle had been delivered to the dealership and I honestly think they will have difficulty selling stock cars.
I may look at the 2021 Kuga PHEV later next year, or bite the bullet and go full EV with the forthcoming Mustang.
One thing for certain, I won't be buying either until the vehicle has been out on the road for at least 6 months and any potential faults identified.
Good luck to those who've already taken delivery that this is sorted soon either way.
Ford UK need to come up with a better compensation offer for those affected in addition to free servicing and a £500 fuel card.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Update from A Ford rep posted on the facebook group
All,
This is Jay Ward from Ford of Europe here. I wanted to follow up on a note you may have seen from Colin regarding an update that relates to the operation of your car and also regarding the 12v battery issue that some of you have faced.
Firstly and most importantly, you should know that we place the safety of our customers at the heart of everything that we do. We also are very aware of the huge inconvenience that the issues with your car have caused you and once again, we sincerely apologise for this.
For those of you who have followed various posts on the 12v battery issue that some cars have faced, you may have seen comments from owners about running the car in Sport or Snow/Sand mode as a way to drive charge in to the 12v battery.
Following on from these posts, there were follow up posts from some members who pointed out that the amount of charge that could be returned in to the high voltage battery was beyond what we at Ford had understood to be possible.
Since then, the teams around the world have been working to replicate this scenario in different tests, and we have discovered that this is indeed possible when running the car in Sport or Snow/Sand mode. Of course, this runs counter to our advice to not put charge in to the high voltage battery until the main issue is resolved.
As part of this testing, we also concluded that in fact, there was no benefit to the 12v battery in running the car in Sport or Sand/Snow mode and that the act of running the car in Normal mode had the same result but without the side effect of driving additional charge in to the high voltage battery.
As a result of this, we are asking our Kuga PHEV customers to please run their cars in EV Auto and Normal mode (which is the default mode that the car starts in).
In addition, we are letting any customers who have had 12v battery problems know that they should contact their dealer. The dealer has a service fix for a number of modules that affect the performance of the 12v battery. The work should take around an hour to complete. As a reminder, this is only necessary for customers who have had issues with their 12v battery.
Of course, we are very aware that this is yet another piece of advice about how to run your car, but we trust that the software updates that are available to address the 12v battery will mean that if you have had these issues, they should be addressed.
As I said up front, the safety of our customers is paramount to us. This is why we are informing you that as a result of our testing, we please ask you to drive your car in EV Auto and Normal mode.
Once again, on behalf of all of us at Ford Motor Company, I apologise for the situation we have placed you in, and I will stress that we are working day and night to fix these issues and get you back to enjoying your cars again
34You and 33 others
45 comments
Which Facebook group is this please?

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV ST Line X 1st Edition
80 Posts
If we can’t drive the car in sport mode then Ford need to make an official statement, some communication guy announcing it on Facebook is not sufficient! What about all the people not on Facebook? I’d expect something to appear on the Ford App, letters etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has Anyone through about rejecting their PHEV based on it is not fit for purpose? If you paid the deposit over £100 on a credit card you would be covered under section 75
Advice on rejecting a vehicle and UK Consumer Rights Act 2015 .
  1. The dealer is unlikely to meekly accept your rejection of the vehicle. A rejection will cost them thousands of pounds, so they will either want to fight you (and potentially force you to take them to Court) or offer you other incentives to keep the car. If you accept any such offers, you will almost certainly waive any further right to reject the vehicle.

The reality is this will not be fixed in 2020 and likely at the earliest it will be mid 2021.

£500 will not get a lot of fuel and washes Fords hands of the issue.

Just in case you aren't aware of the Ford statement.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The dealer gets 1 chance to repair the fault, I wonder if those who have already had the first recall could count that as their 1 go?.

201 - 220 of 278 Posts