Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I am new on forum (moderators sorry if topic is on wrong place).

Everyone i have seen few topics regarding automatic transmision on Kuga but couldnt figure it out fully, so I would ask you for help and advices.
First of all I want to buy Kuga AWD, automatic, 2010-2012, 2.0 diesel 103kW so here are my questions so I would kindly ask you to help :). Thank you in advance.

1. Im bit scared of what I have read on internet about automatic gearbox. Are all gearboxes in Kuga that I am looking for Powershift or there is a "classic"version? I cant see difference on pictures, only on some gear knobs there is written powershift and others are just black. Also on some there is black piece (P,N,R,D) on left side of gear knob, on other.on right? What are the most common issues of automatic gearboxes, and what should I test when buying?
2. Generally what do you think I should test/check for this model of car when buying.

thanks

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,830 Posts
All 2l Diesels are Powershift unfortunately.

You're buying the 1st generation with the woeful clutch damper design.

I wouldn't buy one full stop, our Mk2 163 had the same gearbox and failed at just past 60,000 miles.

You can roll the dice and hopefully get lucky but put asside £2500 into a rain day fund..

Even if you have to finance it, put some more money in and buy a Mk2.5 2016 on Kuga if you really want a Powershift, completely different drive coupling design with proper Dual Mass Flywheel.

If you want an Auto Mk1 where the gearbox isn't a timebomb then the 2.5l Petrol is the only option really with it's "normal" auto.

This is what I pulled out of our Powershift, didn't stand a chance imho.

Office supplies Wood Circle Paint Table tennis racket

Knowing what I known now I would never have bought our auto Kuga, I'd have bought a Volvo XC60..

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Everyone I save from buying this debacle of a gearbox design makes all my hassle and out of pocket loss more bearable.

Also steered a potential Mondeo owner away from a 2011 Powershift as well tonight.

I've been working on vehicles for 25 years and in all that time I've never seen a design and use of materials more unbelievable than these clutch dampers (which in turn destroy the rest of the gearbox due to polluting the fluid and blocking the filters).

Costly lesson for me but hopefully beneficial to others.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,830 Posts
Everyone I save from buying this debacle of a gearbox design makes all my hassle and out of pocket loss more bearable.

Also steered a potential Mondeo owner away from a 2011 Powershift as well tonight.

I've been working on vehicles for 25 years and in all that time I've never seen a design and use of materials more unbelievable than these clutch dampers (which in turn destroy the rest of the gearbox due to polluting the fluid and blocking the filters).

Costly lesson for me but hopefully beneficial to others.
It was after reading your post @keithmac that I put my daughter's partner off a 14 plate Galaxy. It was mint with only 1 owner I think and 32k miles with all the toys. I didn't know what to say as he had set his heart on it so I said Google powershift and see what comes back and then I will tell you what I know. Before he did that he had rung the garage (ford dealer) to book a test drive and they said it was in the garage having the auto oil changed. Coincidence perhaps. He rang me the next day and said he was going to bother taking it out. Maybe he came across one of your posts.

I was so lucky I bought a manual as I was interested in a 14 plate when I was looking a few years back but the battery was flat. Lucky escape perhaps.

Reactions: keithmac

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've seen them fail at 25,000 miles (not me but shops I have been in conversations with), out of warranty time wise and out of luck.

Ford have washed their hands of it all, gone on to the new design for the Mk2.5's and as far as I can see completely removed Powershift from the Mk3 lineup.

Their DCT250 dry clutch effort was even worse if you can believe that, fitted to Fiesta and Focus iirc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts