Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I ordered a Ford Kuga Plug-in Hybrid in August 2020; before delivery, it was recalled due to a global hybrid recall where the battery needed replacing. In July 2021, I finally took delivery of the Ford Kuga, yes 11 months since ordered!!!

The dealer was always helpful, and I decided to wait.

The car was delivered on the 1st of July 2021, and within days, I spotted faults, and the dash was reporting errors, smell or burning, and other issues, all said to Ford's Customer Relations and my local Ford Dealer. The Ford Kuga was finally booked in for Service on Saturday, whereby The Ford roadside assistance was called out to follow me because the dash kept powering off. The car was taken to my local dealer, and whilst booking in for service, someone came running in to say a vehicle in the car park had caught fire. My heart dropped.

The car on fire was mine.

Since the event, I keep worrying about what would have happened if my children were in the car.

Link to video below and timeline of events

Fast forward to today (3 days since the fire), and Ford Customer Relations and Ford Executive Team have told me to go through the insurance company. No apology nothing

Shocked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is shocking. Did you take the GAP insurance from Ford?
I’m insured with ford insurance which I believe has this included.

my glasses were in the car which are damaged and Fords haven’t even offered to cover that.

Been a nightmare since I ordered the car. Was hoping Ford would assist

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m insured with ford insurance which I believe has this included.

my glasses were in the car which are damaged and Fords haven’t even offered to cover that.

Been a nightmare since I ordered the car. Was hoping Ford would assist
Dreadful customer service, but hopefully you’ll get everything sorted and get fully comped

·
Premium Member
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,564 Posts
Memories of the Mk3 Kuga owner who had the emergency brake assist decide to activate on a freeway (for no reason.) I think someone rear ended the vehicle. Ford weren't interested, IIRC a third party offered to reimburse the purchase cost. It's all detailed on here somewhere.

PS: A possibility of fires from the battery was why they were all recalled/ delayed.

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
Why aren’t Ford completely covering the cost of the fire and a like for like replacement?

I know it’s probably early days after the fire but is there any indication of what caused the fire?

Is that maybe why Ford are not accepting any fault….

early MK2 suffered burn outs. Maybe a call to a national motoring magazine or press outlet might work for you.

keep us updated and best wishes.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts

·
Registered
Mk3 Titainium 1st Ed, Lucid Red 1.5 Diesel
705 Posts
Personally I’d be writing a strongly worded letter to Ford Motor Co customer relations asking why the vehicle was so dangerous to drive, what they will be doing to replace it under warranty or make a refund. If no reply within 21 days that I will be seeking legal advice, informing the DVLA and trading standards that Fords are supplying a product that is dangerous to use. Clearly Fords know that the electric Kugas have a power management problem otherwise they wouldn’t have recalled vehicles for battery replacement. Maybe an e-Mail to martin Lewis and other consumer perception media outlets National newspapers may/should focus their minds.

Reactions: RonnieM and Psshaw

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
248 Posts
Personally I’d be writing a strongly worded letter to Ford Motor Co customer relations asking why the vehicle was so dangerous to drive, what they will be doing to replace it under warranty or make a refund. If no reply within 21 days that I will be seeking legal advice, informing the DVLA and trading standards that Fords are supplying a product that is dangerous to use. Clearly Fords know that the electric Kugas have a power management problem otherwise they wouldn’t have recalled vehicles for battery replacement. Maybe an e-Mail to martin Lewis and other consumer perception media outlets National newspapers may/should focus their minds.
Just a little point.
My dealer said the original recall was due to "Samsung" batteries which were used had the potential to catch fire(remember Note 7 & S8 debacle), and the recall swapped them all out for LG made batteries.
Maybe someone could correct me on this?

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
204 Posts
I would have thought that as the fire occurred within 30 days of picking up the new car you are well within your rights to demand that Fords refund your money or provide a replacement

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Just be aware that the fire damage is nowhere near the HV battery and looks to have started around the fusebox area.

If it was a pre-existing fault from build then your insurance company will not pay out. If you have legal cover through your insurance policy they should be talking to Ford. A full post fire report from an independent expert will be required. The car is owned either by you or a finance company (not Ford) so you retain the vehicle at the moment.

·
Registered
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,544 Posts
I would be contacting chief exec directly, Ford CRC are shocking, hope it all works out for you

·
Banned
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
2,464 Posts
Just be aware that the fire damage is nowhere near the HV battery and looks to have started around the fusebox area.

If it was a pre-existing fault from build then your insurance company will not pay out. If you have legal cover through your insurance policy they should be talking to Ford. A full post fire report from an independent expert will be required. The car is owned either by you or a finance company (not Ford) so you retain the vehicle at the moment.
Good advice, it doesn't make up for the fact that Ford have been shoddy in helping you. Absolute disgrace really.
just out of interest is there a hard wired dash cam and if so who fitted it.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
:D The pics/ videos wouldn't open for me.

Surely someone will be required to examine the vehicle to establish the cause?

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
Looked like the seat of the fire was from the glove box area. Can the OP add where the fire crew thought it had started?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.