Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Couple of things:

Could we please try and keep this particular thread on the subject of a Club Discount on the Hendy DLRs?

There's been some negative comments regarding the quality or rather the lack of quality from some Chinese DLR units in the Mk1 DLR thread:
http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/all-mk1-daytime-running-lights-discussion-info_topic2924.html

And finally here's the relevant DLR thread for the Mk2:
http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/all-mk2-daytime-running-lights-discussion-info_topic7620.html

Thanks.

Edited by: Gazwats

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
Forgive me here G, I'm trying to alert people to the difference between the real thing and fakes and not be disappointed.

As Gazwats says, there is a thread on the quality or lack on in the MK1 thread.

Your obviosuly taken with tne price, but as
to whether they are that bad, yes they are. China imports do not use
high power LED in their builds, difference in price of £0.10 and £5 for LED's.
They dont provide adequate heatsinks which is critical for LEDs which is why their light output is low. They may quote the power or light output capability of the LED's (even the sum total of all the LED's) as the real light output but the devices run at just a fraction of the light and power they quote. Your eyes perceive that they are bright, but they are not.

How do I know. I wanted DRL's on my MK4 Mondeo, the 2008 model didnt have them fitted so not wanting to make my car appear fake, I opted for a different approach and not being a fan at all of the strip LEDs, I designed a single LED device that replaced the sidelight bulb that provided the same light output as a DRL so it actually looked like a Xenon lamp in daylight, and it switched to sidelight mode when dipped beams were switched on. Because it used the sidelight reflector it was very bright. Each LED cost £10, the machined heatsink for each LED cost £12, the constant current power supply and switching for each LED cost £25 each. Over 200 were made for Mondeo owners and sold for £135 a kit. So, £199 for real DRL's for the Kuga is pretty good, and if China did actually make the same quality and performance, the importers would be charging more for them than they are.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fitted mine on Saturday. Sea grey Zetec so had to spray myself. Hendy are a great place to deal with and 48 Hour delivery too. Looks fantastic.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I don't know if DRLs are still available from Hendy, but I got them pre painted for my MK1. They are really easy to fit both mechanically and electronicly, took me 70 minutes start to finish

·
Registered
823 Posts
If you search this forum, a chap once posted the whole excercise with pictures of fuse locations etc.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Piggy back fuse F15 in engine bay fusebox, took me 70 mins start to finish when I had my MK 1Edited by: phoneman

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've just removed them for a fellow member and took pictures but the
Can't find the instructions on here !!
I know I've found them on here before ....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Gents, are the Ford original type that Hendy supply/supplied effectively plug & play as far as the electrical side of the fitting is concerned? This is in relation to a late (Oct last year) Mk2

Thanks,
Rob.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Frozen Kuga said:
I've just removed them for a fellow member and took pictures but the
Can't find the instructions on here !!
I know I've found them on here before ....

Just found the Tiger Tony post with the link hosted by Kevm but of course its now broken...but hay its from over 4 years back, might just be more info in and around that time.

http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/all-mk1-daytime-running-lights-discussion-info_topic2924_post61387.html#61387

And as Gazwats has previously linked its all other DRL info in that one big section on DRLs.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts