Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
And now for something completely different.

Media over here is making a big thing about upcoming food shortages in the UK.
Is this idle mischief and post brexit UK bashing or is there any truth in it ?.
Media in the UK is very careful to point out that whilst Brexit has compounded disruption other factors, such as pandemic, also play a part. A big problem is a shortage of lorry drivers in the UK which, in part, has been caused by foreign drivers leaving the UK and the pandemic preventing new drivers qualifying. Whatever the cause a quick visit to any major supermarket, in a big city in the UK, will prove there are definitely shortages.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Media in the UK is very careful to point out that whilst Brexit has compounded disruption other factors, such as pandemic, also play a part. A big problem is a shortage of lorry drivers in the UK which, in part, has been caused by foreign drivers leaving the UK and the pandemic preventing new drivers qualifying. Whatever the cause a quick visit to any major supermarket, in a big city in the UK, will prove there are definitely shortages.
Thanks for your very clear answer .

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,830 Posts
@Safrane - you raised an interesting subject when you posted this. Something else to consider is due to whatever reason the wholesale price of gas rose here by 70% in August. Why that is I don't know.

We have a system here where you can fix your energy tariffs for 12 months, 24 months etc. My son text me last night to say his energy supplier has gone bust and a new supplier will be charging him £100 per month more for his energy. He has a small two bedroomed house !!

Irrespective of issues in the supermarket with bare shelves, there will be some people in this country who will need to decide whether to buy food or keep warm this winter.

It would be interesting to know what is happening in yours and other countries regarding the cost of energy as well as food supply and distribution.

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,521 Posts
Went to my local Tesco garage to fill up,,long queue ,most of the petrol pumps were close,,was told shortage of tanker drivers.,I had to pass Sainsbury’s as well so I went to look at their fuel station same there some pumps closed.,,BP near where I work was only open for the shop,,I had to go in the BP shop so I asked them why the pumps were closed again same answer but was expecting a delivery that night,,hopefully..

·
6,830 Posts
Crazy isn't it. It makes you wonder if there is some sort of master plan to create shortage, which will increase demand, pushing the prices up further to possibly make up for what has been lost in the pandemic. As we know it is very rare that prices ever come down.

If wages don't cover the increases then that just drives a bigger divide between the ones who can afford and the ones who can't. I was going to change my Kuga this year but due to the pandemic I thought what's the point. Now it would cost me about another £3k maybe more to buy the car I was after. I won't pay it and why should I pay 20/25% more than it was in January. I would rather run it into the ground.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
My reason for asking in the first place is that I've booked with easyjet for a family visit back to the UK at the end of
next month . I just wanted to know if the media over here was partaking in a bit of sh*t stirring or just plain mischief
making. They are using the old Brexit thing -" we told you so , the Uk will get the worst of it " etc,etc.
Energy prices have indeed gone up by about 10% but our wank**ers in Den Haag blame this on the fact that
gas production in the north of the country has had to stop due to land susidence causing structural damage to
homes and buildings.
No shortages in the supermarkets but then again the vast majority of truck drivers here are east european .

·
6,830 Posts
So long as easyJet planes don't run on gas you will be fine. Book an extra suitcase and fill it full of food just in case.

What will be next. Massive increases in air travel due to shortage of pilots. Airports closing because they can't get Kerosene delivered.

Whatever you read in the news about Brexit and the UK probably isn't true........in reality it will be worse lol. I'm surprised that you can't tune into the BBC or ITV.

·
6,830 Posts
Not as simple as that, if you do ever get stopped, they will check everything. Could end up on dodgy ground if your tyres aren't rated to carry the weight of the trailer. I'm guessing you mist have changed the tyres, as they would have been rated to carry the 1300Kgs when it was a caravan. You need to get some commercial tyres on it, just like it would have had as a caravan. To be honest, it's in your own best interest.
I am glad you mentioned this @andspenka . The tyres are old and I would have probably just changed them like for like. Not sure what it had originally but I doubt they would have been up to spec after I had fitted the replacement A frame hitch. Just glad I didn't buy one that came from a plant trailer lol. Managed to source a couple new on eBay that come with wheels for about £25 more than i can get tyres for locally so I will go for them. I have small trailer too which I replaced both tyres a few years back and checked that too but it's ok and the tyres have a higher rating than the plated weight of the trailer.

Reactions: andspenka

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So long as easyJet planes don't run on gas you will be fine. Book an extra suitcase and fill it full of food just in case.

What will be next. Massive increases in air travel due to shortage of pilots. Airports closing because they can't get Kerosene delivered.

Whatever you read in the news about Brexit and the UK probably isn't true........in reality it will be worse lol. I'm surprised that you can't tune into the BBC or ITV.
Richmond pork sausages , tins of haggis , packets of Paxo sage and onion stuffing are top of my ( smuggling
into the EU ) list.

·
6,830 Posts
@Safrane - yesterday on the news it reported that BP had to close some garages or at least close for fuel sales, as they were unable to get fresh deliveries of fuel. BP allegedly blamed it on the driver shortage problem. Tanker drivers are possibly the best paid of all drivers and I would have thought that would be the last area there is going to be a shortage of drivers.

The problem with the media reporting things like this is it just makes people buy what they don't need. Reports in our local rag this afternoon of people queuing for fuel. I been out twice today and didn't see it myself but it's just crazy. One thing is for sure though, if September fuel sales were down, they won't be now.

Not much bacon in Lidl tonight possibly down to the CO2 scare at the beginning of the week. I wonder what it will be next week.

Not food related but our local B&Q and Wickes haven't got any cement, or at least they are showing zero stock online. It was the same weeks ago when I needed some. Builders merchants have plenty.

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,521 Posts
Local roads were jammed packed here,around 5pm queues waiting to get to fuel stations,,usually takes me 30 mins to get to work,,tonight hour and ten mins,.CRAZY

·
6,830 Posts
Back to the 70's. Fuel rationing and power cuts.

Reactions: Ross J

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,521 Posts
Well on the way home from work this morning,at 05.50am,,local BP and texaco sites closed,queuing in Tesco,,called in at the BP on the M4 no problem straight to the diesel pump,but petrol pumps and ultimate diesel pumps closed.only used that one as I was passing it anyway and same price as local BP and 3p more than local Tesco.

·
6,830 Posts
That's weird @Ross J - no issues here at all. People even commenting on Facebook saying no problem getting fuel. Perhaps it's area specific. We are very close to the refineries.

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,521 Posts
Strange cause some of the fuel stations here are either closed or queue’s.

·
Registered
South Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
1,521 Posts
It's Like this in my area and Bridgend

·
6,830 Posts
It's hit us now. No fuel at Sainsburys near me and Asda where I filled up yesterday is rationing to £30. What a mess our country is in.

I just spoke to a mate of mine who has about 7 or 8 of his own trucks and he said he doesn't have any fuel problems as he has a large storage tank and he orders his fuel for the first day of the month and tops up during the month where required. He deals with a small local fuel company so it looks like the issue is with the large companies for whatever reason.

There has been a shortage of decent truck drivers for years. It was a problem when I was involved with it over 20 years ago. A lot of people have left the industry and the days when lads went away with their dads and followed them in their footsteps have gone.

Funny how our current crisis has just happened overnight though. Must be a worry for anyone who is on holiday at present.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Or those considering a holiday in the UK !.

·
6,830 Posts
Or those considering a holiday in the UK !.
You will be fine if you go everywhere by bus.

There wouldn't have been a fuel crisis if the media had kept quiet about BP having some issues. You can't blame people for panic buying but you CAN blame the media for causing them to do it. Make sure you pick up a pack of toilet rolls when you get fuel......just in case lol.

Back on food topic, I got the last 4 pack of napolina chopped tomatoes today at Sainsbury's. Not many single tins on the shelf either.

·
Registered
2019 ST Line Edition AWD 180 Diesel
275 Posts
Been mental down on the south coast as well.
Roads blocked with car queues and stations sold out

21 - 40 of 46 Posts