Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And now for something completely different.

Media over here is making a big thing about upcoming food shortages in the UK.
Is this idle mischief and post brexit UK bashing or is there any truth in it ?.

I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
True. Went to Toby Carvery on Saturday night and you know there is an issue when the desserts all came out with no flakes. Turns out there is an issue with their suppliers. Whether it's due to staff shortages on the delivery side and/or brexit who knows. All I know is when you can't have a flake in your dessert then that's when you know you've reached crisis point! :cry: 馃槀

Reactions: Happyarry

Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
According to what our government said last week about empty shelves we don't have a problem. It would appear it was dismissed along with other things which are now buried in the sand.

Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
Yup the shelves are becoming empty by the day.
Been Asda, and Tesco's and they are lacking a lot of the normal food stocks.

I got me beers tho 馃榿 (y);)

Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
Been shopping today, only shelves that were full were the alcohol ones!鈥︹..man cannot live by liquid alone, but will keep trying

We have a CO2 problem and not just what we create but evidently it's used in food processing to prolong life. Now if we are creating too much CO2 then why on earth are we releasing it into the atmosphere every time we open a packet of bacon.

We have a shortage of labour to do the jobs where foreign labour was used.

We don't have enough delivery drivers.

We now impose an import levy on all goods from the EU and unnecessary delays due to customs. It was never quick before when I worked in shipping back in the 70's and 80's.

We now have an energy crisis because allegedly the wholesalers are putting up the price of gas.

Best stock up on your toilet rolls now and get some bacon and sausages and stick them in the freezer whilst you can. My guess is your local village butcher will still be ok supplying fresh produce. We have one in our village and whilst you may pay more it's very busy and you don't have to get them to price check items that are supposed to be on offer that go through the till at full price.

Random shortages at my local Lidl such as long life milk and Asda could be domestos, certain types of bottled water. There wasn't any fresh chicken dinners on Sunday. Plenty of vegetables, red meat and dairy. Last week there wasn't any salmon or dove handwash and they often run out of Branston beans. Napolina Tom's are up 10%. Our freezer is always rammed even pre pandemic.

Must dash as going to buy a greenhouse so we can grow our own.

Registered
2009 Kuga tdci 2.0 4x4
A lack of CO2 in conjunction with a shortage of LGV drivers looks likely to cause problems. If you are struggling to move produce then an inability to store that produce is a big problem.

Plastic packaging and CO2 seems likely to be environmentally irresponsible on the face of it. I believe that the ability to store fresh produce for longer means that this is actually better for the environment than loose fruit and veg. It's slightly counter intuitive.

Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
They're making big noises lately about the shortage of HGV drivers, so much so that they have even changed the rules on the B+E requirement they brought in in 1997. For anyone who doesn't know what that is, they introduced a 3500Kgs limit on Gross Vehicle Weight, previously this was 7500Kgs. They have changed the rules to allow car drivers (B licence category) to now allow them to tow a trailer up to 3500Kgs (within the limits of the towing vehicle). There's no actual date set for when this is going to change but as of today 20th September, you can no longer book a B+E test.

Also, they have changed the C1+E, many years ago you could take lessons and test straight to the old Class1 HGV, so straight to articulated. Some years ago (not sure on the exact date) they brought in that you had to do the rigid C1 category first before being allowed to take the C1+E. The new rules have made this change back to being allowed to go straight to C1+E without having to do the rigid category first, so they're definitely taking the shortage of drivers seriously.

Reactions: smartguy69

Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
Got on the plane in Tenerife and they said there was a shortage of canned drinks due to the Brexit deal and how they stocked up the plane.
What!

My son only mentioned to me at the weekend regarding the B+E as he asked if a towbar was available for his partner's car so he could borrow my trailer. It's a braked one converted from a caravan so when I said you need to take a test he said what you have. I am surprised I didn't see it in the press.

Got on the plane in Tenerife and they said there was a shortage of canned drinks due to the Brexit deal and how they stocked up the plane.
What!
You should be glad you went to Tenerife and not La Palma although if you are back now you would have missed it anyway if you have seen the news.

A lack of CO2 in conjunction with a shortage of LGV drivers looks likely to cause problems. If you are struggling to move produce then an inability to store that produce is a big problem.

Plastic packaging and CO2 seems likely to be environmentally irresponsible on the face of it. I believe that the ability to store fresh produce for longer means that this is actually better for the environment than loose fruit and veg. It's slightly counter intuitive.
Commercial growers use CO2 in their greenhouses or glass houses as they are more properly known. If CO2 is damaging to the planet then why are they allowed to use it. I assume it will be because it makes whatever they grow, grow quicker and no doubt the "for" argument will be the plants absorb most of the CO2. However, for that to be true then wouldn't those buildings need to be sealed.

Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
You should be glad you went to Tenerife and not La Palma although if you are back now you would have missed it anyway if you have seen the news.
I did see it on the news. I was on the wrong side of the plane to see the ash clouds.

Administrator
My son only mentioned to me at the weekend regarding the B+E as he asked if a towbar was available for his partner's car so he could borrow my trailer. It's a braked one converted from a caravan so when I said you need to take a test he said what you have. I am surprised I didn't see it in the press.
The requirement isn鈥檛 that it has brakes, it goes off plated weights. A lot of people think you can鈥檛 tow more than 750kgs without B&E, which is wrong. It鈥檚 because they don鈥檛 read the second line in the piece of legislation. There鈥檚 an OR after that sentence which people seem to not bother with. The reason the 750kgs is important is because it鈥檚 the legal limit for a trailer without brakes.

If your trailer is plated, it goes from the MTPLM of the trailer, just as it would with a caravan. Theoretically maximums for both car and trailer.

Oh, and the law hasn鈥檛 actually changed yet! He needs to wait, if the above takes him over the 3500kgs that is. Even empty!

The requirement isn鈥檛 that it has brakes, it goes off plated weights. A lot of people think you can鈥檛 tow more than 750kgs without B&E, which is wrong. It鈥檚 because they don鈥檛 read the second line in the piece of legislation. There鈥檚 an OR after that sentence which people seem to not bother with. The reason the 750kgs is important is because it鈥檚 the legal limit for a trailer without brakes.

If your trailer is plated, it goes from the MTPLM of the trailer, just as it would with a caravan. Theoretically maximums for both car and trailer.

Oh, and the law hasn鈥檛 actually changed yet! He needs to wait, if the above takes him over the 3500kgs that is. Even empty!
I may have a problem with the plated weight on mine......I changed the A frame as I couldn't get spares for the original B & B one. Just been and checked and it's stamped into the Al-ko one I put on at 1300kg. The tyres are only rated for 385kgs so I best not carry anything heavy.

Administrator
I may have a problem with the plated weight on mine......I changed the A frame as I couldn't get spares for the original B & B one. Just been and checked and it's stamped into the Al-ko one I put on at 1300kg. The tyres are only rated for 385kgs so I best not carry anything heavy.
Not as simple as that, if you do ever get stopped, they will check everything. Could end up on dodgy ground if your tyres aren't rated to carry the weight of the trailer. I'm guessing you mist have changed the tyres, as they would have been rated to carry the 1300Kgs when it was a caravan. You need to get some commercial tyres on it, just like it would have had as a caravan. To be honest, it's in your own best interest.

I built the trailer in about 2000/2001. I think the caravan I used was from the 70's and was dumped at our works one day. The boss asked me if I could get rid of it so I did lol. I did read something about home made trailers on another forum years after that but didn't give it much thought at the time.

I can't remember now what the original tyres were and I have only replaced them once. I assumed like for like but obviously not. I also didn't think when I bought the replacement hitch as it means I would need a tyre that has a 93 load rating or higher which I can do if I go to a 165/80/13. The tyres are due to be changed again as they are starting to crack. I don't really want to change the hitch as I refurbished it last year with new bushes and a brand new coupling

Reactions: andspenka

Registered

i thought CO2 was a green house gas , so every time we open 'fresh packaged food we kill a bit more of the planet ,? strange concept , cut green house gas emissions but use it to keep food fresh ,

Registered

sadly judging by how empty the supermarket shelves are , I would say its not gossip or scare tactics, it really is pretty poor here now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts