Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have to leave our Kuga for several months and in this time the battery will obviously drain down to zero. Any advice on how to start the engine other than a jump start from another car as there is no guarantee that we will have access to another car when we return.
we don't plan to disconnect the battery as per the handbook instructions, can we use a battery charger in 'situ' to recharge to achieve oiur aim?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Where are you planning to leave the car? Do you have access to a power socket? If so then a good battery charger with a maintenance function would do the job just fine. A charger like CTEK http://www.ctek.com has several charging modes and can be safely left connected over a long period of time. (My snowmobile has one attached during the 6 months it spends in a container over the summer ;-)

If you don't have access to power but are not coming directly from the airport then you could use a self starter pack which lots of different manufacturers have.

Otherwise I would be inclined to disconnect the battery - a really deep discharge is not good for it. There is also the solar charger solution -haven't yet collected my Kuga but if one of the power sockets is permanently connected like in the Focus then you can always leave a solar charger connected provided your outside. Batteries don't discharge that quickly while parked and if you're in Spain then I guess its not going to be that cold?

Hope this helps/ Snowman

Hope this helps

·
Registered
287 Posts
snowman is correct in that a trickle charger (solar or mains) will keep a battery fully charged.
it is never a good idea to allow a battery to go fully flat as it can ( did to me!!) have an effect on it's charging and in severe cases not allow a charge at all. ( plates sulphate up or something like that)
Best advise here will be to take note if thinking of disconnecting a battery of radio codes and have an air pump handy as tyres will also possibly lose pressure etc. avoid using handbrake (leave in gear with a note to remind you pasted on steering wheel)
For charging a car battery in situ ..this is done but not recommended as it may? cause a diode in your alternator to blow ( rare but possible).
a booster is used by garages for flat batteries but for most cases of a low battery or flat ( not dead) battery just a jump start form another vehicle will be fine. if you decide to jump start from another car etc have them rev their engine to around 1500-2000 rpm before and during cranking to keep voltage up or it can drop the voltage by current draw and you simply get slow cranking and no starting.
if left in open I would strongly recommend a solar charger placed in windscreen ideally with car facing best hourly path of sunshine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Had to leave my galaxy for just over two months when i had to have an opperation, i conected a solar panel which i bought from maplins i conected it to thefront power socket and it worked a treat had no probs starting it up and that was in november december time hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Snowman, hornchurchmale and proac, Some good options here. We may be able to access a power socket so will investigate chargers as suggested. As it will be left in Spain the Solar option may also be a good idea for us. Appreciate the prompt responses, will report back next year once we know how it went.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts