Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally found a use for the kuga's mains socket which I believe came as part of the family option pack.
Just bought a mains socket blow up double air bed (130w) for when we can finally go camping again.
Very impressed how quickly it inflated it.
Anyone found any other uses for the mains socket?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't even know it was an option, there must be an inverter somewhere then.
Brian

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Never used mine, just look now and again to make sure it’s still there😂

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Got one and never used it.
behind the centre arm rest where the 12v socket would be.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes i got one the sales man (sorry person) told me it was for the kid's to play video games and watch film's. I did ask what was up with 12 volt dvd player but got a blank look.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just checked I don't have that, not that I need it but you know.....

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Its part of the ' Familiy pack' and comes with electric child lock. Last time we used ours in anger was watching BBC breakfast on the 17" laptop with a TV stick as we parked up on the a hill near Endcliff park Sheffield, to watch the flypast for Tony Folds as well as see the TV close ups. Used mainly for charging the laptop when I was travelling.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
This one's an old workhorse Dell Inspiron 17 that's travelled many a London Bus route while carrying out test and evaluation on new buses. I have a Bestek 200W too.

The Kugas 230V was quite convenient then though don't really need that convenience now.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I didn't even know it was an option, there must be an inverter somewhere then.
There is and it's tucked away within the centre console:

When I bought my 2018 Kuga in February last year, it was the only optional extra missing, but which had been on my requirement list.

Only realised it wasn't included after I travelled 300 miles to collect the car.

So I set about sourcing one and managed to pick on up on eBay from a 2017 car for £100 including centre console, armrest, the lot (absolute steal tbh).

Installed it and and everything looks factory fitted now.
230V 2.jpg

I use one of these, which has a pass-through UK 3-pin socket and 4 USB ports for various devices:

You have to be careful if carrying three in the back though as centre passenger is liable break off the 230v socket cover.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Since lockdown, I have undertaken a Masters degree in electrical engineering and passed with a distinction.
So, I have converted our Vignale into a semi-hybrid model.
First I adapted the inventor to reverse output to input.
I then mounted the smallest alternator I could find, which was from a Fiat 500, mounted this where the towbar should be and used a fan belt to drive it from the left rear drive shaft and using a BS module, series 100c, unit and wiring harness.
Then sparred off from the ignition switch and and fitted a second switch to stop the engine but allow the starter motor to engage and run and drive the car like an electric car.
A thermostat on the starter prevents overheating and it is good for setting off and up to 10 mpg before manually using the right gear toggle switch to change gear and the car then returns normal mode. Bit of a faff but worth it.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Congratulations on the MA Phill.
I tried the starter motor hybrid, but only achieved 3mph maximum and less than a quarter of a mile per battery charge. Decided to just use Diesel as changing the battery or the long drive to charge it made it not worthwhile.. ;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Cheers Phill, I appreciate those comments.
I forgot to add (derr) I changed the main battery and fitted two 6v batts in series, so 12v but more oomph as they say. Maybe that accounts for the differential in figures you mention. The other battery in the boot by the way.
I thought you’d get the angle.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Psshaw,
It’s really great to see the lockdown hasn’t affected your imagination. Nice to see you adding some posts to make us smile and have a chuckle. Looking forward to your design for a Kuga to get to the space station to rival the Tesla option.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts