Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Fighting the steering

Tags
steering
8K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  smartguy69 
#1 ·
Just wondered if this is what the Kuga is like to drive or is there something else that needs attention to resolve it.

When going over bumps in the road the steering pulls and pushes from left to right, it makes driving really tiresome. If there’s a slight camber in the road the car wants to follow it.
Im getting to the point where I don’t want to drive it anymore, I want a relaxed drive not one where I have to keep gripping steering wheel.

#3 ·
On my mk1 we have the choice of which driving style you want to drive in?

Normal
Comfort..........................My choice.
Sports

Or it could be something a little more serious and require the "Tracking" to be adjusted.
Have you also checked the tyre pressure as if they are flat or low this indeed will affect the steering?

#6 ·
I would suggest a full wheel alignment check first

#7 ·
When going over bumps in the road the steering pulls and pushes from left to right, it makes driving really tiresome.
What Ronnie said above.

(Plus those symptoms can happen if you have a shock absorber/ strut that's failed. I had it on an older car I bought secondhand- it turned out someone had replaced the front strut on one side and the other side appeared to be original... on a 40yo car! It would pull to one side and wander badly over bumps.)

#8 ·
As murcod has said it could be more serious and a strut.
And RonnieM has suggested it should have a full wheel alignment.

It is a process of elimination and I would start from the cheapest and work my way up the cost ladder matey.

#13 ·
Just an update, no change...still have the issue.
You know there's something wrong when you drive a VW Crafter dropside at work with 100k more miles on the clock that's older than your car and your envious of how it drives lol!

I've had the tracking done and no adjustment needed, bang on perfect already.

Tyres checked, all ok.

:unsure:
Wheels swapped - no change.

#15 ·
What's like on a fast, straight road?

I only ask because I had with my previous car, Mondeo 2.0 (163) Titanium X and driving that got very tiresome at times due to having to micro-adjust the steering when mainly on motorways.

It was hard to get across to the Ford technicians what I meant, but how I tried to explain it was, when at speed and holding the steering in a totally neutral/central/straight position (in relation to the speedo housing), the car wanted to veer to the right quite badly into oncoming traffic (if I'd let it).

Their initial suggestion was to hold the steering wheel slightly off-centre, to the left! 😡 Hmmm, OK!

I don't know about anyone else, but it doesn't 'feel' right driving with wheel off centre (even by a degree or so).

So every time I was on the motorway, I always seemed to be making micro adjustments to keep straight and it was tiiiiiring and not a pleasant drive.

Tyres were original OEM (Contis) and tracking was OK and the car was only 4 months old and had only covered 4000ish miles.

Eventually, after moaning a second time, they took it in and altered something (steering angle sensor perhaps?), which did change the 'veer' from right to very slightly left.

Not perfect, but I'd rather a ditch than an oncoming car and coudn't be bothered complaining again, when the tech just looked me funny with a WTF is he on about expression.

It was obvious something wasn't right, but hard getting it across to them without demonstratiing the issue on a long stretch of DC or motorway (of which the nearest is 40 miles away).

Now the Kuga! 2018 ST LineX (2.0 180 AWD).

Just changed the front OEM Continentals @ 21,000 miles for some 'All Season' Maxxis All Season AP3 SUV - 235/45 R19 99W XL TL from Camskill for £96.50 (+ fitting).

Half the price of 'Premium' All Season brands and as a consequence, they do feel a bit different in that the feedback seems to be bit less precise than the OEM.

They are however a **** of a lot quiter than the Contis have ever been since I took ownershipt @ 2000 miles.

The reason I menion this and it may have no baring at all on your issue, is that I also noticed that I need to make very slight adjustments to the steering to go in a totally straight when driving local roads.

Not much, but wasn't there with the Contis and may may be due to the softer compound, different style tread pattern or maybe they need bedded in as some say.

Thought it may have been a tyre pressure issue, but on checking, they are 33psi, which is correct for 235/45/19.

One thing you say is that all four corners have 'Premium' tyres (what brand/model), but are they XL, which are designed for heavier vehicles, such as SUVs, MPVs, Crossovers etc?

Clutching at straws, I know, but maybe something to look at?

Reactions: smartguy69
#17 ·
I only ask because I had with my previous car, Mondeo 2.0 (163) Titanium X and driving that got very tiresome at times due to having to micro-adjust the steering when mainly on motorways.
:rolleyes: I had the issue on a Mondeo ST24. It was very unnerving on fast sweeping corners too. I tried a few things to fix it but it never felt secure on corners and would require constant small adjustments on straight highways. Bought new and came with decent spec Michelins.

With the Kuga, the EPAS has all sorts of corrections via software built in (eg. to compensate for road camber etc.) As you said decent tyres can make a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.