Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Kuga Titanium X 2014
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I’m new here and currently in purchase process of our 2014 Kuga.

Just starting a thread if anyone needs some Valeting/detailing advice, I ran a detailing business on the side for a few years after enjoying the car cleaning hobby, so knowledge is pretty good compared to the usual car cleaner, so get in touch and I’ll do my best to help

Jay:)(y)

·
Registered
2020 Kuga ST Line 1.5 EcoBoost
29 Posts
Hi,
I’ve just joined the club following acquiring a solar silver st line 1.5 petrol yesterday.
I had to wash it today as the dealers valeter looked like he’d licked it clean!

Can you recommend a descent glass cleaner that doesn’t leave residue or smears behind please? It’s a bugbear of mine having streaky smeared glass...
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Kuga Titanium X 2014
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @Kevmond.

I use Autobrite Direct products now as its easier to have an arsenal of same brand products. but generally all glass cleaners are good and have similar make ups. less is more and a glass cloth is a good investment. blue paper towels are good two.

Autobrite direct have a mega sale on in 2 weeks where its very cheap! i always bulk buy as most 5L products are a price of a litre. its a very popular sale so get in early if you wish to buy products. any other bits you need just Holla

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you recommend a descent glass cleaner that doesn’t leave residue or smears behind please? It’s a bugbear of mine having streaky smeared glass...
Thanks in advance!
I use Tesco glass cleaner, and plenty of paper towels for cleaning it off, I too have the aversion to streaky glass and this is the best stuff I have found. Couldn't say how much it was as I didn't buy it...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2015, Titanium X Sport, 2.0tdci, 178bhp, manual
2 Posts
Another "weekend warrior" here ;)
If the outside is smeary I use Meths to decontaminate it, also use it to cleanse the blades, never failed me yet! I've tried so many glass cleaners on the interior I've lost count however Autoglym Fast Glass actually works, especially with a dedicated glass cloth.

·
Registered
Kuga Titanium X 2014
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another "weekend warrior" here ;)
If the outside is smeary I use Meths to decontaminate it, also use it to cleanse the blades, never failed me yet! I've tried so many glass cleaners on the interior I've lost count however Autoglym Fast Glass actually works, especially with a dedicated glass cloth.
Autoglym do have a few good products, and like I've said before most glass cleaners are the same its all about the method and tools. less is more with glass cleaner. blue paper towel helps with less streaks and glass cloths are great too

·
Registered
Ford Kuga MK1 Titanium TCDI 2.0 AWD 163BHP
28 Posts
Hi
I hope someone can help me, I put rainx my windscreen about a month ago but now at night when I do have to use the wipers the screen is really smeared.
What is the best way to fully get rid of it off my screen and wipers? I’ve looked on a couple of other forums and someone said try white vinegar but it didn’t do anything

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,003 Posts
I use methylated spirits and then autoglym glass cleaner with good quality microfibre cloths to clean a smearing screen

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,037 Posts

·
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
3,552 Posts
I put rainx my windscreen about a month ago but now at night when I do have to use the wipers the screen is really smeared.
Yes, made the same mistake many years ago. You basically end up with what looks like millions of tiny water droplets spread over your windscreen.

·
3,552 Posts
@J9dwy what are your thoughts on ceramic coatings? eg. Opticoat, Feynlabs etc. Some are very expensive and seem to make outlandish claims on how long they last.

·
Registered
Kuga Titanium X 2014
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for absence guys, been a hectic few months!

@J9dwy what are your thoughts on ceramic coatings? eg. Opticoat, Feynlabs etc. Some are very expensive and seem to make outlandish claims on how long they last.
ceramic coatings are really good, personally u need it applied under the right prep and conditions (indoors or at least undercover) during curing times. U can get ceramic infused waxes and now shampoo and quick detailers which are very user friendly and more budget fitting! I’m an advocate for Autobrite Direct, all I use now!

·
3,552 Posts
ceramic coatings are really good, personally u need it applied under the right prep and conditions (indoors or at least undercover) during curing times.
I was considering getting it professionally done on my new car (GR Yaris) but have decided it's about AUS$1k that can be better spent elsewhere! It lives in a garage so isn't exposed to the weather and other undesirable things a lot.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,301 Posts
I haven't polished a car in years and due to the amount of fall out we have I don't plan to start anytime soon. I washed the wife's Mokka today which is coming up to 5 years old and we have had for nearly 4 years. It was an ex rental car for the first 11 months but when I towel dry it off it just feels like it's polished. Could have been applied by the rental company perhaps but the paint finish surface is much better than my Kuga.

·
Registered
Kuga Titanium X 2014
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was considering getting it professionally done on my new car (GR Yaris) but have decided it's about AUS$1k that can be better spent elsewhere! It lives in a garage so isn't exposed to the weather and other undesirable things a lot.
Personal choice really, a nice wax or sealant would do the job if the car is in the garage. My personal cars I use supersonic range from Autobrite Direct

·
Registered
Kuga Titanium X 2014
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't polished a car in years and due to the amount of fall out we have I don't plan to start anytime soon. I washed the wife's Mokka today which is coming up to 5 years old and we have had for nearly 4 years. It was an ex rental car for the first 11 months but when I towel dry it off it just feels like it's polished. Could have been applied by the rental company perhaps but the paint finish surface is much better than my Kuga.
If it has any protection I would be impressed, nothing it life king like the sale person pitches. If u experience a lot of fallout, use fallout remover, clay bar, SRP hand polish and then seal with wax or sealant. Fallout can bond into the paint and for rust spots so go careful. I plan to machine polish the Kuga this summer I’ll do a write up when I get round to it!

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,301 Posts
If it has any protection I would be impressed, nothing it life king like the sale person pitches. If u experience a lot of fallout, use fallout remover, clay bar, SRP hand polish and then seal with wax or sealant. Fallout can bond into the paint and for rust spots so go careful. I plan to machine polish the Kuga this summer I’ll do a write up when I get round to it!
My own car is black. It has "fall out" 1 hour after cleaning lol. It does need some attention. The wife's Mokka though after I towel dried it felt like it was polished. Never really noticed before but that's possibly because it's her car and being metallic I just wash it, rinse it and leave it. I have to towel dry mine or there is no point in washing it.

Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: baz xsport

·
Registered
2017 Ford Kuga 1.5L. ST Line diesel duo torque Ruby Red metalic.
26 Posts
Personal choice really, a nice wax or sealant would do the job if the car is in the garage. My personal cars I use supersonic range from Autobrite Direct
Hi All

I’m new here and currently in purchase process of our 2014 Kuga.

Just starting a thread if anyone needs some Valeting/detailing advice, I ran a detailing business on the side for a few years after enjoying the car cleaning hobby, so knowledge is pretty good compared to the usual car cleaner, so get in touch and I’ll do my best to help

Jay:)(y)
Hi could you let me know if Bilt Hamber all purpose cleaner is good to use on my Kuga Ruby Red, or is there any other better foam, What do you use, Thank You alimack3000

·
Update Ninja
Vignale 2019, Platinum White
4,003 Posts
I’ve just today began using Autoglym Polar Blast and have to say it is brilliant, gave the car a spray with TFR first as I always do, then used the Polar blast snow foam, after a rinse, off dryed off with a microfibre towel and have to say I am well impressed with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts