Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,
so i've been having to do a few trips to Hull from West Yorkshire!. I've set the car on "ev later" after entering the main "open" speed roads, but on arrival, at my destination in Hull the ev range had still dropped to half of what i set off with?,
I then set the mode to "recharge"as an experiment on my return journey only to find it actually removed millage beyond 19 mls? anyone had any issues with this?, mine is a 1st edition which was returned for a battery replacement & tbh i'm not convinced the new one is at the same spec?, I'm keeping a log of charging etc & it's not a like for like comparison at the mo!, I've been told the new battery has to "bed in" but it's now over 6 months & the range is no where near what the origional battery was?

·
Registered
761 Posts
EV later will maintain a maximum of 80% charge so that the car can still run as a hybrid and also apply regenerative braking. The recovered energy has to be able to go somewhere, it can't just 'vanish' hence the need for the 20% buffer. So this is normal behaviour. Recharge is just the same, and pretty pointless too as it uses a lot more fuel.

·
Registered
Ford Kuga PHEV, april 2021, ST Line X, Winter pack, technology pack, retractable towbar
85 Posts
Recharge doesn't do anything in my case. I was driving it for around one hour to see whether my battery will be topped up. Not even 1%, so I am not sure how that works. If the car needs to heat up the cabin, I belive that it only uses the HEV battery (it has electric heater only). I am using EV only for my daily commute and the petrol engine never fires up even if the temperature is below 0 , but the car is still heating the interior. So I am assuming that that will cut down the battery range as well.

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
221 Posts
When I using "Battery Charging" mode, my battery is charged to around the 21 - 26ml range by the engine, with it constantly chugging away til it gets to that range. Still trying to find the best mode for my use.

·
Registered
761 Posts
When I using "Battery Charging" mode, my battery is charged to around the 21 - 26ml range by the engine, with it constantly chugging away til it gets to that range. Still trying to find the best mode for my use.
Charging mode achieves very little and costs a lot. You are asking the petrol engine to drive the car and charge the battery. Better to just run in EV auto or EV later if you want to save charge.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Conversely, i found "Sport Mode" actually recharges the battery a lot more than "normal" or "eco" because it seems to utilize the regenerative braking much more. Ive had 2 miles added to an empty battery because i stuck it in sport mode.

·
Registered
Mk3 ST-Line X PHEV Lucid Red
97 Posts
Only used Auto EV so far and these are my observations:

During recent cold weather car will start ICE to warm cabin. Didn't happen when weather was milder.

Road into our village is a 1.5 mile downhill run. Not particularly steep, regen controls speed (30mph) without using L. This adds 1% to battery charge, shown on dash.

Trips with depleted battery, A road or mixture of motorway and A road, have electric miles at about 35-40%. Not all of this can be off throttle/braking regen so can only assume some charging takes place during normal running. At no time in these journeys does the battery state show anything other than 0%.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Kuga St-Line First Edition 2.5L PHEV Hybrid
38 Posts
My EV later is a mixed bag.

Sometimes it does follow commmands and sometimes i turn it on with 10 miles range left and it just ignores me and drops to 4 or 3 and THEN stops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts