Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My 2013 Kuga TF Diesel has developed a problem with Adaptive Cruise Control. 5 minutes after I engage ACC, I get an error message saying "Front Radar Blocked" and ACC gets disabled. It will not reengage until the ignition is turned off and turned back again. Took the car to a dealer, and $150 later, they told me that the entire ACC module needs to be replaced. Cost - $2500 !!!!

I would like to check if there is a DIY option before I drop that kind of money on the problem. I have seen a few references to the ACC module being a bit loose requiring fastening, but I cannot locate the module on my car.

Will appreciate some guidance on this.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You could revert it to non-ACC in the settings and save yourself £2500. That must have been one of the very first cars to get ACC !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could revert it to non-ACC in the settings and save yourself £2500. That must have been one of the very first cars to get ACC !
I could, but I bought this car for the ACC feature :) Moreover, I believe the ACC module is also used for the Forward Collision System, which is another reason to fix this.

·
Registered
Vignale 2019 MK2 Platinum White
3,052 Posts
Ive had that message once in a snowfall, cleared when snow melted and never been back

·
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,050 Posts
Welcome to the fourm @fullerms

Please take a minute to fill out your car model details in your signature, it helps us when answering questions and saves you typing it in all the time. Details can be found here......Welcome to the Forum, Please Read

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Hi all,

My 2013 Kuga TF Diesel has developed a problem with Adaptive Cruise Control. 5 minutes after I engage ACC, I get an error message saying "Front Radar Blocked" and ACC gets disabled. It will not reengage until the ignition is turned off and turned back again. Took the car to a dealer, and $150 later, they told me that the entire ACC module needs to be replaced. Cost - $2500 !!!!

I would like to check if there is a DIY option before I drop that kind of money on the problem. I have seen a few references to the ACC module being a bit loose requiring fastening, but I cannot locate the module on my car.

Will appreciate some guidance on this.
Just to confirm what the dealer has told you, as there are very few dealers I would trust, buy an ELM 327 (modded) from Amazon or somewhere similar and download Forscan which is free. You will just need a laptop to connect to your car with. The programme is quite easy to use and it will tell you if there are any fault codes stored. From the fault codes either this forum or other ford forums may help you find a cheaper solution.

All too often we see dealers diagnosing incorrectly and throwing money at it. The dealer could be right but there is no harm in checking for the sake of £15/£20 for an ELM.

Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: murcod

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to confirm what the dealer has told you, as there are very few dealers I would trust, buy an ELM 327 (modded) from Amazon or somewhere similar and download Forscan which is free. You will just need a laptop to connect to your car with. The programme is quite easy to use and it will tell you if there are any fault codes stored. From the fault codes either this forum or other ford forums may help you find a cheaper solution.

All too often we see dealers diagnosing incorrectly and throwing money at it. The dealer could be right but there is no harm in checking for the sake of £15/£20 for an ELM.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the tip. I ordered a Veepeak Scanner, should arrive by Monday. Will check it out and share an update.

BTW, which type of scanner is preferred, USB or BLE? I have ordered both just in case :D

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I've not used the Veepeak scanners, but looking at the specs I think the USB one will be the only one to see both high and medium speed can bus used on the Fords.
Try both and report back.

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Received both Veepeak scanners today, and tried them both. Details below.

USB Scanner:
I followed the instructions, but the car started throwing quite a few errors which still persist, and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree :confused: What am I doing wrong with the USB Scanner? I tried the switch in both positions, no change

Some of the errors which came up when the USB Scanner was plugged in:
  1. Engine Service now.
  2. Parking Aid Malfunction Service Required
  3. BLIS: Left Sensor Fault. Service Required (similar one for the Right Sensor)
  4. Active City Stop Not Available
  5. Forward Alert Not available
  6. Service Beltminder
  7. Immobilizer Malfunction Service required.
BLE Scanner:
Detected the car, and Forscan did mention that MS-CAN is not available. Along with the other errors which cropped up after I plugged in the USB Scanner, it did pick up the Cruise Control Module Error.

I have attached the logs and screen shot of the Cruise control error, please help me to:

Clear the errors caused by the USB Scanner
Trouble shoot the ACC error with DTC code C1A67

Attachments

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Have you got the link from where you got the scanner from.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
It certainly looks to be compliant with both Ford Canbus systems. I can't really knock the one you have bought as I don't know the brand but I always recommend the one by OHP as it has the ftdi chip.

Amazon.com: OHP ELMconfig FORScan OBD2 Adapter - ELM327 USB Scanner for Ford and Mazda: Automotive

I have a cheap ELM327 adapter which works just fine for checking codes. As I wished to do some programming with mine I took on board some of the advice on here and bought an OBDLink EX. This one is actually recommended by Forscan but it's not cheap as the others.

Amazon.com: OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter: Automotive

Did you try this with ignition on and engine off. The only time I have seen those amount of DTC's on mine is when using the Focccus programme and when I loaded the secondary boot loader in Forscan. If Forscan has asked you if you want to download the secondary bootloader it will give you an horrendous amount of DTC's and bring the service now light on and it lights your dash up like a christmas tree.

All the codes go away if you go to service procedures and pick one of the modules to reset. I chose the GPSM module. As your fault appears to be with the Active cruise control module then just try resetting the module in service procedures and see what happens.

NOTE that to do any procedures in Forscan you need to ensure that your battery is in good condition and if performing any procedures it is advisable to have a battery charger connected or service procedure may get interrupted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It certainly looks to be compliant with both Ford Canbus systems. I can't really knock the one you have bought as I don't know the brand but I always recommend the one by OHP as it has the ftdi chip.

Yes, the USB one is defintely compatible. I don't understand why I got all those errors.
Did you try this with ignition on and engine off. The only time I have seen those amount of DTC's on mine is when using the Focccus programme and when I loaded the secondary boot loader in Forscan. If Forscan has asked you if you want to download the secondary bootloader it will give you an horrendous amount of DTC's and bring the service now light on and it lights your dash up like a christmas tree.

Yes. Ignition On and Engine Off. I only used Forscan, and definitely did not see any references to a secondary bootloader
All the codes go away if you go to service procedures and pick one of the modules to reset. I chose the GPSM module. As your fault appears to be with the Active cruise control module then just try resetting the module in service procedures and see what happens.

Ok will try resetting the ACC module. I hope a DTC reset will not cause any other issues?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Seems odd why you got all those DTC's but clear the codes, try the reset of the ACC and then run the DTC check again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems odd why you got all those DTC's but clear the codes, try the reset of the ACC and then run the DTC check again.
I know how to clear DTC codes, but how do I reset the ACC? Can you please walk me through the steps?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Yes, it's not really that much different to clearing the codes.

Open Forscan as you would do normally after connecting to the car.
Go to service functions - that's the spanner about halfway down on the left
Click on the module you wish to reset, it will highlight in blue
Press the play button at the bottom of the screen.

Make sure you only reset the module that is causing a problem. It basically turns it off and turns it back on again.

You will get a warning sign, press ok.

A quick video guide here.

Forscan - How To Navigate - What Each Button Does - Bing video

It is best not to try and change anything in Forscan until you are familiar with the programme. Back ups, screen shots, pictures etc are always good too take.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it's not really that much different to clearing the codes.

Open Forscan as you would do normally after connecting to the car.
Go to service functions - that's the spanner about halfway down on the left
Click on the module you wish to reset, it will highlight in blue
Press the play button at the bottom of the screen.

Make sure you only reset the module that is causing a problem. It basically turns it off and turns it back on again.

You will get a warning sign, press ok.

A quick video guide here.

Forscan - How To Navigate - What Each Button Does - Bing video

It is best not to try and change anything in Forscan until you are familiar with the programme. Back ups, screen shots, pictures etc are always good too take.
Thanks for that, I cleared the DTCs and reset the CCM module. Still no luck, the error reappeared after driving for a few minutes with ACC engaged.

(WARN) DTCs in CCMii: C1A67:97-2C

and BTW, the USB Scanner does not work at all and whatever I did was with the BLE one.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Ok, I would try the OHP one that I recommend. I don't think the bluetooth ones do both CAN systems but are useful.

We have another member who recommends the Proscan one but not sure if its available in your country. If you are going to have a Ford for a while I would definitely recommend the OBDLink EX. It seems expensive compared to the cheaper ones but it has decent reviews everywhere.

On fixing the CC fault I could only suggest you check the mounting and connections of the front camera that's in the housing behind the rear view mirror. The DTC is saying the view is obstructed so could be a faulty camera. It may have been disturbed if a new windscreen has been fitted at some point. Obviously not based on any experience but that is where I would start. I would not be wanting to pay all that money for a CC module. I sometimes wonder where companies get prices from for such things when you think how much other electronics cost. I would be looking at buying second hand but it is still a risk that you could end up spending money and still not fixing the issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On fixing the CC fault I could only suggest you check the mounting and connections of the front camera that's in the housing behind the rear view mirror. The DTC is saying the view is obstructed so could be a faulty camera. It may have been disturbed if a new windscreen has been fitted at some point

Ok, but I thought the Radar Sensor was mounted behind the bumper?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, I would try the OHP one that I recommend. I don't think the bluetooth ones do both CAN systems but are useful.

We have another member who recommends the Proscan one but not sure if its available in your country. If you are going to have a Ford for a while I would definitely recommend the OBDLink EX. It seems expensive compared to the cheaper ones but it has decent reviews everywhere.
Ok, will the OHP or the OBDLink Ex work on other car brands with OBD connectors too? If yes, then it might be worth buying one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts