Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have a 2009 2.0l TDCI all wheel drive model. We bought it in December and intermittently the Engine Malfunction light has been coming on and putting the car into limp mode. We found that if you restarted the engine this went off but yesterday the car wouldn't turn over at all. We are getting the engine malfunction warning as before and now a transmission malfunction warning which is new. There is also a little red light flashing on the dash (which I've red is the engine immobiliser)? In the handbook it says that the transmission malfunction light is for automatic gearboxes, which does not make sense as ours in a manual car so should not have this issue? Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before or anything similar to this? We had a call out mechanic come out who could not even read the codes on the car as his machine does not pick the car up, and it does the same on our own code reader. Is this an easy fix or a big expensive job? TIA

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Did the mechanic check the battery and alternator?

Always the first things to check.

As to whether it is easy or expensive - no clue until you find a mechanic with a decent code reader I'm afraid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He put something on the battery which said it was medium function and it was reading 120. we’ve had 3 different people and machines check and it’s not reading so the assumption is that it’s an ECU issue with it sending the wrong signals

·
Registered
104 Posts
Battery is good at least. Multiple random warning lights could simply be a bad ground connection. This would be my next step. Also, fully disconnecting the battery for an hour or so to fully dissipate capacitors can sometimes clear up gremlins. Worth a shot; nothing to lose

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have been advised by a mechanic friend to disconnect the battery for a while and swap the ECU fuse which I believe in our car is F12 40amp fuse - if we left the battery disconnected for a bit longer do you think that would help? I’m also contemplating just replacing the battery anyway as when the mechanic tested it it only came up as medium capacity on his machine - Also which ground connectors do you think it could be? We’ve already checked and changed fuses in both fuse boxes to no avail

·
Registered
104 Posts
Might be showing up as medium capacity if the starter has been spanking it but with the car failing to turn over its not getting a recharge. At 12.4v thats still a strong voltage so I would hold off replacing it.

With both terminals disconnected for an extended period of time, there would be no need to remove the fuse, as the capacitors have ample time to fully dissipate.

Apart from the obvious ground wire from the battery, I am not 100% sure of the locations of others. I have looked at the wiring diagram Forum link for files and if u go to section 700-00-4, you can scroll down and see the cars entire wiring loom and ground points.

Also 700-03 lists the area of grounds

Hopefully someone else can chime in with known ground point locations

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The other area to investigate is the earth and power distribution connections in the passenger footwell. The Mk.1 is prone to water leaks with resultant corrosion in this area due to cracked or missing sealant where the floor pan meets the firewall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Does the internal power come on when you initially push the start button?

If you have a long rubber handled screwdriver, you can jump the starter solenoid by using the screwdriver to touch the positive terminal and the control terminal on the starter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nothing is working sadly. We have now sent it to an auto electrician so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts