Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the correct section for this but here goes. I'm sure there are many posts regarding mapping already but I'm totally inept at all things mechanical so please explain it to me in the most basic terms. We have a 1.5 ecoboost manual kuga titanium 2019. It's not the car of my dreams but wondered if having a remap would give it the get up and go it is distinctly lacking. What are the benefits, what are the drawbacks, how much does it cost and more importantly will I notice a huge difference in the performance. Also my insurance is up for renewal so is it something I have to declare??? Cheers all.

·
Super Moderator
3,585 Posts
Insurance first, yes you will have to declare it.

Yes you will notice an improvement in bhp and, quite possibly, in mpg and the torque curve is levelled out meaning less 'grunt' needed, hance less fuel, at the low end.

As to cost, check the insurance first. Typically, something like a BlueFin will cost in the region of £50 but they have an offeron at the moment. Bluefin petrol and diesel engine tuning, DIY ECU remap software unit.

·
Super Moderator
6,919 Posts
Yes you’ve posted in the correct area.

As to the remap, there are a few on here that have done it and say the benefits are good.
@SiJY , are you one that’s done a remap?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Insurance first, yes you will have to declare it.

Yes you will notice an improvement in bhp and, quite possibly, in mpg and the torque curve is levelled out meaning less 'grunt' needed, hance less fuel, at the low end.

As to cost, check the insurance first. Typically, something like a BlueFin will cost in the region of £50 but they have an offeron at the moment. Bluefin petrol and diesel engine tuning, DIY ECU remap software unit.
Hi Nigel.

Many thanks for the reply. £50 appears to be very cheap. I'm quite wary about something that's potentially quite significant in terms of engine management that's costs so little. Any idea how reliable and trustworthy these guys are?? Apologies for being so cynical .

·
Super Moderator
3,585 Posts
Hi Nigel.

Many thanks for the reply. £50 appears to be very cheap. I'm quite wary about something that's potentially quite significant in terms of engine management that's costs so little. Any idea how reliable and trustworthy these guys are?? Apologies for being so cynical .
Sorry mate that was a ruddy typo and should have said £350 (before the current discount) Apologies.

BTW Blufin is very highly regarded.

·
Super Moderator
6,919 Posts
£289 for our diesel from £389. Mmm, still can’t bring myself to do it. Too old for that now but I see why you may wish to upgrade your 1.5 petrol.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,556 Posts
@SiJY is the man you need to put his recommendation forward.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So another silly question is, does the remap stay with the vehicle for as long as you own it? Its not like a yearly subscription that has to be updated? 300 quid sounds OK to be fair. At least it might make me enjoy driving the bloody thing a bit more.... whoever said that diesel cars are a thing of the past wants shooting.....

·
Super Moderator
3,585 Posts
No, its yours and may even have a trade-in value when you come to sell the car. I have just traded 8n my final Diesel😢 It's now demonised in London with an up £2.00 premium for parking and a 50 per cent uplift on parking permits. Bloody stupid with current clean Diesels.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So another silly question is, does the remap stay with the vehicle for as long as you own it? Its not like a yearly subscription that has to be updated? 300 quid sounds OK to be fair. At least it might make me enjoy driving the bloody thing a bit more.... whoever said that diesel cars are a thing of the past wants shooting.....
how does a remap affect insurance, is the uplift small for the modification ?

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,556 Posts
No, its yours and may even have a trade-in value when you come to sell the car. I have just traded 8n my final Diesel😢 It's now demonised in London with an up £2.00 premium for parking and a 50 per cent uplift on parking permits. Bloody stupid with current clean Diesels.
Because they know that banning diesels is going to be a money spinner. 1,000's of people who don't or can't buy new looking at upgrading their cars will be unable to upgrade to a newer diesel in a few years time meaning they have to go petrol. 40mpg down to 30mpg or less. Roughly that means 33% more fuel used = extra fuel duty and VAT. We had one member quote that Ford have dropped the diesels as there is no demand. That maybe so from a business user perspective who buy new, but then it may also have something to do with the tax incentives which push people onto hybrid or electric. Money talks at the end of the day and I wonder if there wasn't any money in it to try and combat climate change, would we be doing it. 2 days of stupid heat in the UK and now 5 days later it looks like I need to reach for a jumper.

·
Super Moderator
3,585 Posts
how does a remap affect insurance, is the uplift small for the modification ?
Depends totally on your insurer and record. Call them and stress that its an economy remap It may be modest, unless you are young and they will hammer you

Reactions: rra

·
The Detective.
2017 Titanium iAWD 2.0 Diesel
2,878 Posts
With bluefin you can take it off and on whenever you want to
You can check with superchips to keep the bluefin device and they maybe upgrade the bluefin device for another vehicle.I think someone here bought a second hand device and used it on their kuga,,might have been @Phil Doggo again I might be wrong.🤔

Reactions: Psshaw

·
The Detective.
2,878 Posts
You can try remap kings mobile remap they come to you,,looks like they use bluefin as it’s the same price and figures

·
The Detective.
2,878 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
We had ours remapped by Superchips/Remap Kings. Very professional service and it didn't affect our insurance too much. Even though ours wasn't exactly lacking punch, it's made it more driveable (it used to hesitate about 2800rpm but now just keeps pulling) and it's given it a bit more power and torque for towing our caravan with ease.

Reactions: Psshaw

·
I am Batman!
Kuga ST - Manual 6 Speed - 200PS+ Petrol.
826 Posts
Definitely recommend a remap. I've had it done on all my cars in the last 20 years+ for a Ford Focus ST 2.5 petrol to an S-Max 2.2 Diesel. No issues so far either. Better mpg from not having to rev the car as much as the increase in 60Nm of torque starts from below 2000rpm. I average around 30mpg around town - short journeys with air con blasting all the time - not too bad & not exactly plodding along either. Much better on a long run - up to 44mpg. More power too but to gain the most it must be revved up to 5000 where there is another surge - handy when overtaking or when pulling away. Superchips is only £300 or so remapped (by a mobile engineer who visits you) or an extra £50+ where you can install it yourself with the handset that plugs in to the ODBC Port (like I do) as well as being able to remove it for Servicing etc if under warranty. BTW just received my insurance quote renewal and is £309 but I'm sure I can reduce it further and that includes all my mods below (no cost for Bluefin). Admiral or Adrian Flux and I'm under 50 (just!).

Reactions: Smurf79 and Psshaw

·
Super Moderator
6,919 Posts
Definitely recommend a remap. I've had it done on all my cars in the last 20 years+ for a Ford Focus ST 2.5 petrol to an S-Max 2.2 Diesel. No issues so far either. Better mpg from not having to rev the car as much as the increase in 60Nm of torque starts from below 2000rpm. I average around 30mpg around town - short journeys with air con blasting all the time - not too bad & not exactly plodding along either. Much better on a long run - up to 44mpg. More power too but to gain the most it must be revved up to 5000 where there is another surge - handy when overtaking or when pulling away. Superchips is only £300 or so remapped (by a mobile engineer who visits you) or an extra £50+ where you can install it yourself with the handset that plugs in to the ODBC Port (like I do) as well as being able to remove it for Servicing etc if under warranty. BTW just received my insurance quote renewal and is £309 but I'm sure I can reduce it further and that includes all my mods below (no cost for Bluefin). Admiral or Adrian Flux and I'm under 50 (just!).
I knew you would support the remap in a positive way and excellent feedback from someone who has it.
The Caveat of course is, it may not work out for all.

As to insurance costs, I’m 61 and pay over £400 and they know that I’m one of the best UKs advanced drivers. I hear you ask how they know that….I’ve told them! Lol

·
The Detective.
2,878 Posts
Turned 60 last December insurance with Esure £238.53,,,,went through GoCompare and get £250 Free excess cover.
Might remap mine but want to use a company which uses dyno rolling road to see what I’m getting.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts