Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Could anyone advise which would be the best engine oil to use, as the manufacturer manual just says WSS-M2C913-C.
I have searched online and it brings up 3 options, which are: Ford 5W-30 Formula F, Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 A5 4L and Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 Oil 5L.

I appreciate any advice or if there is something else better, as not got a clue about this. We have a 2.0, 2016 Titanium. Diesel.

Thanks very much x

·
Registered
869 Posts
I use Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 in our 2013.

Never had a problem with it.

Bulk buy 20l tubs are far cheaper per litre but depends on how long you're going to keep it!.

6 litres per change on ours.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Tjb1970 - You have not put your engine model so presume a earlier model of Kuga.

Mine is the 180ps 2016 model with the ford 950 spec oil.

I did a thread '950 spec oil' listing all the different manufacturers of that oil.

The same oil brands will do your spec.

I personally use Castrol magnatec as I have a local supplier. (0-30 for mine) and I buy it in 20ltr tubs.

(The oil change soon comes round - just like Christmas!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for all your help.

Apologies, our car is a 2.0L Duratorq (110kW/150PS) - hope that's the information needed.

Cheers
Tx

·
Registered
115 Posts
My hand book specifies Castrol 5 30 A5 WSS-M2C- 913-C oil, The Castrol oil on special offer at Halfords meets this specification.

·
Registered
772 Posts
My hand book specifies Castrol 5 30 A5 WSS-M2C- 913-C oil, The Castrol oil on special offer at Halfords meets this specification.
Seems to be a bleedin' minefield with different spec for different models.

I know when I enter my details on the Castro website, I get THIS, but mines a 2018 2.0 (180) AWD.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Seems to be a bleedin' minefield with different spec for different models.

I know when I enter my details on the Castro website, I get THIS, but mines a 2018 2.0 (180) AWD.
I like to use the oil that is recommended by Ford and I stick to their recommendation, what is confusing is that the PSA Duratorq diesel engines are used by lots of different car makers such as Volvo Jaguar Mitsubishi Citroen Peugeot and some others that I cant remember ,to look at these engines they look identical to each other and probably are identical, And yet they all recommend a different make of oil.
I would think that Ford changed the spec from 5 30 to 0 30 oil purely to gain a few more MPG to suite the EU regs.
For peace of mind its probably best to use what the handbook specifies.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The move from 10w40 years ago was all driven by "fuel economy".

Not what's best for the engine but how thin they can get away with while still holding out for 3 year warrany period!.

All the manufacturers get preferential prices for bulk oil supply if they recommend that manufacturer, thats how the world works.

Bit easier with the Motorcycles as majority of manufacturers just stipulate JASO or MA1 / MA2.

You are hard pressed to buy a bad oil nowadays, all down to marketing.

I serviced a bike today (BMW S1000XR), £70 for a 4l tub of Motul 300v 5w40!.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The move from 10w40 years ago was all driven by "fuel economy".

Not what's best for the engine but how thin they can get away with while still holding out for 3 year warrany period!.

All the manufacturers get preferential prices for bulk oil supply if they recommend that manufacturer, thats how the world works.

Bit easier with the Motorcycles as majority of manufacturers just stipulate JASO or MA1 / MA2.

You are hard pressed to buy a bad oil nowadays, all down to marketing.

I serviced a bike today (BMW S1000XR), £70 for a 4l tub of Motul 300v 5w40!.
My previous bike was air cooled Moto Guzzi Stelvio, oil was fully synth 10W60... Almost unobtanium

·
Registered
28 Posts
So Ford dealers use Castrol lubricants?
Do you think they stock both of these:
Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30
Magnatec Stop-Start 0W-30 D

Which would they be using? In this (my car) Kuga 180BHP Diesel 2017 AWD

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
So Ford dealers use Castrol lubricants?
Do you think they stock both of these:
Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30
Magnatec Stop-Start 0W-30 D

Which would they be using? In this (my car) Kuga 180BHP Diesel 2017 AWD
Have a look in your manual to find the exact spec Ford have listed for your engine, then find an oil that meets the specification.
The oil doesn't have to be Castrol badged.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just had mine serviced and they used Castrol magnatec professional D 0W 30

Ross

·
Registered
550 Posts
180 2.0ltr use any of these 950 spec oils.

·
Registered
2019 2.0 Diesel ST Line Edition AWD.
10 Posts
How on earth can you tell which oil has been used on a service, especially after a few hundred mile when it has turned black and looks like it has been in the engine for months.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Checked the invoice

Ross

1 - 20 of 28 Posts