Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a new member with a 13 plate titanium x with all the extras. I've had the car since March and love the way it drives. The only problem is I am experiencing an engine malfunction warning light and reduced power nearly every thousand miles I cover! The car has been back to Dagenham Fords to be looked at but this problem is still occurring.

The engineers have told me it's the particulate filter and now are saying they cannot find the problem.

Can anyone tell me if this is a common fault and whether Ford are working on a software update, or have I a bad egg?

Losing the love of the car now and getting annoyed with getting nowhere!

I have written directly to Fords and the dealer complaining and asking for some answers but I'm getting nowhere. They now want the car back for further testing, possibly for a long period of time.

Anyone know anything?

Thanks all

·
Registered
665 Posts
Hi KugaFace,
Could it be the DPF playing up ? If you use the search function on this forum you will see a few have spoken about it. It's normally plays up if you do short trips. I hope the info below helps you.
Mad Dog

Diesel particulate filter
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A diesel particulate filter

Off-road - DPF Installation
A diesel particulate filter (or DPF) is a device designed to remove diesel particulate matter or soot from the exhaust gas of a diesel engine. Wall-flow diesel particulate filters usually remove 85% or more of the soot, and under certain conditions can attain soot removal efficiencies of close to 100%. Some filters are single-use, intended for disposal and replacement once full of accumulated ash. Others are designed to burn off the accumulated particulate either passively through the use of a catalyst or by active means such as a fuel burner which heats the filter to soot combustion temperatures; engine programming to run when the filter is full in a manner that elevates exhaust temperature or produces high amounts of NOx to oxidize the accumulated ash, or through other methods. This is known as "filter regeneration". Cleaning is also required as part of periodic maintenance, and it must be done carefully to avoid damaging the filter. Failure of fuel injectors or turbochargers resulting in contamination of the filter with raw diesel or engine oil can also necessitate cleaning.[1] The regeneration process occurs at road speeds higher than can generally be attained on city streets; vehicles driven exclusively at low speeds in urban traffic can require periodic trips at higher speeds to clean out the DPF.[2] If the driver ignores the warning light and waits too long to operate the vehicle above 40 miles per hour (64 km/h), the DPF may not regenerate properly, and continued operation past that point may spoil the DPF completely so it must be replaced.[3] Some newer diesel engines, namely those installed in combination vehicles, can also perform what is called a Parked Regeneration, where the engine increases RPM to around 1400 while parked, to increase the temperature of the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, thanks for all the info. I was told it could be the dpf although they ruled that out the second time round it went into Ford. The last time this warning light came on was just after a 100 ,lie motorway and a round journey home. Not sure where to go from here. They want the car back again so I will stress this as a possible problem. I bet they won't like me telling them how to do their job lol

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again. Sounds like the problem tbh

·
Registered
33 Posts
Had the same on my February 2013 model with 8k km on it. Occurred twice, each on motorway with limp mode initiated. Having got to dealer, made mistake of switching off engine. When fitter came out to look, the cpu had re-set itself and cleared the fault. Means I lose confidence in going on long trips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This has happened to me again! Limp mode and am engine malfunction all the way home! Not happy!

I've had several conversations with ford and they have told me a calibration update is being worked on to resolve this problem. They are not admitting to the fault but a bulletin board message has been submitted telling dealers that an update is coming.

Let's hope this happens very soon or I will be going to watchdog and possibly getting rid of the car!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same car, same problem. Just been in to Ford for 2 weeks. They have no idea what is up with it. The update came out on 18th November and has been done to my car. It has malfunctioned again twice since we got it back and as I write this my husband is limping home down the M62 in it.

The car is not fit for purpose and I am after a replacement. This problem has been ongoing since August/September. Same old rubbish about the computer resetting and not storing a fault code. How pointless is that? And how stupid do they think we are that they can just say the car is too complicated to work out what is up with it and unless you bring it straight here whilst it has the problem we won't be able to tell you what is wrong - and if you have to turn the engine of for any reason before bringing it back in there will be no trace of a problem.

If enough people send their cars back and refuse to accept this appalling customer service (a car is a very expensive purchase) Ford will work out very very quickly how to fix/prevent it.

And it's not the DPF on mine either. This always happens on long runs and on the motorway. It is not an urban traffic problem. Although that annoys me as well. When you are buying the car does anyone point to the page in the handbook which tells you basically you should not buy one of these cars if you do do a lot of urban driving?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information and sorry to hear about your ongoing problem too! My car is booked in for the update next week. If the problem continues after this I will be seeking legal advice and requesting my money back! Please keep me informed with your progress. Watchdog here we come!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My kuga is only 3 weeks old and has spent the day back in fords due to an engine warning light.... After a few hours I phone them up to be told there is a fault with the DPF..... They have to order a new sensor,.... The joke part is the sensor has too come all the way from Germany.... They have told me I can still drive the car but the warning light will keep coming and going.... I just have to wait until the new year until the part arrives.... Am sensing this car is going to be problematic in its lifetime

·
Registered
389 Posts
I just found this post after our MK2 Kuga flashed the engine warning yesterday. Car stalled while turning around in road. Drove off then had this warning before stopping no more than mile down the road. Hasn't come on again since. Should I be worried our is it just a consequence of over sensitive sensors after stalling?

Only done 3700 miles so far, mix of city, A roads and motorway.

Jamie

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the warning message and engine management light staying on
permanently having done less than 200 miles from new. It didn't appear to effect
the performance in any way. I had it booked in at the dealer and was
then taken into hospital for nine days and had to cancel the
appointment. On coming out of hospital and done a further 150 miles from
short to distance runs the warning message and light has not displayed.
Will see what happens now, as I am at the dealer for the inaccurate fuel
remaining issue on Monday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am sitting in the ford dealership now waiting to see if they can read the error code. Brought the car in just now as the light came on as I was passing. We'll see what they say this time!

·
Registered
389 Posts
How many times has your warning flashed up? Keep us posted

Jamie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Loads off and on since August. Car was new in June. Ford kept it 2 weeks late last year and found nothing. Told me to bring it in without turning the engine off with the light on. That is not generally convenient. It happened twice yesterday and it wasn't possible to take it in. But today it happened as I was 200metres away so I did and hey presto they can tell what the problem is. However they still have to persuade ford to replace the turbo which they have already said ford will try to get out of doing. I will update you next week. It's going in and they have booked me a coutrtesy car for at least 2 days whilst they sort it out. I have taken a copy of the error details for my records.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it sorted. There's no way the turbo should be failing on a car this new.

Keep us posted.

Jamie

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kuga 4Me said:
permanently having done less than 200 miles from new. It didn't appear to effect
Having been into the dealer there were no error codes recorded for the time when the engine management light remained on and without any intervention now remains off.

The fuel remaining and average fuel consumption appears to be working fine now after the software update.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Kuga TDCI titanium delevered in May. I live in Oslo, Norway. I have had this warning light number of times. My Ford dealer has now decided to replace the turbo. Hope that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Kuga 4Me said:
Kuga 4Me said:
Having been into the dealer there were no error codes recorded for the time when the engine management light remained on and without any intervention now remains off.

The fuel remaining and average fuel consumption appears to be working fine now after the software update.
The light is back on again at 400 miles and a warning that an engine service is due. Will keep the forum posted with events. Booked in tomorrow for investigation.

Edited by: Kuga 4Me

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes please. Still only had the light once following an engine stall, but if anything needs to be done I want to get it into dealer as soon as possible.

Jamie

1 - 20 of 53 Posts