Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help needed please.

I live in Scotland but I am often in England far from home. I am the daughter of an engineer sadly no longer with us. I am no mechanic :)

My Kuga 2ltr diesel AWD 62 plate manual 148bhp I think,. 128,500 miles.
Yesterday the engine management light came on. Still drives as always, guages all normal.
I check oil - just right but needs an oil change.
Last serviced September and oil service light has been on since as maindealer forgot to reset it.

I went to a local garage this morning who put two additives in my tank and said after work drive at 2500 revs for an hour then review.

Driving to work 8 miles approx the engine malfunction light came on. I checked and was advised to follow plan.
I guess limp mode happened a lot less power and max speed 73mph. Otherwise all as usual.

My husband has a Ford Transit Custom van - he has just had a similar experience and cured by a vapouriser.
I mentioned this to local guy who didn't know what I was talking about (we had the same problem initially in Scotland).

Got to where I am staying and found this forum and discovered that the Kuga appears to have a vapouriser too !

Please can someone who knows confirm.
Could this possibly solve my problem?
I need to drive back Harrogate to Inverness Friday night and Tuesday due to flight and train chaos I need to drive my elderly mother and two moody teenagers to Gatwick Airport.
I need my Kuga to be 100%

I love my Kuga and this is only my second issue (1st was radio/Bluetooth fault draining the battery- new radio fixed that).

Help Please.

Many thanks

Denise

·
The Detective.
2017 Titanium iAWD 2.0 Diesel
2,602 Posts
Welcome to the forum,,,I'm Sure someone here could help you.

Reactions: DVK

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
10,018 Posts
I sympathise with the above but you really need to find yourself a decent garage who can assist whether that be in Inverness or the Harrogate area. I wouldn't be going back to the garage who suggested putting additives in the tank. Additives are a waste of money in my opinion and will not help at all if either the vaporiser is blocked, the dpf pressure has failed, the dpf is full of ash and at the end of it's serviceable life, or there is an electrical fault.

The car needs plugging in for a diagnostic and checking for error codes. DPF pressure sensors are known to be an issue on the mk1 but at 128,000 miles the vaporiser may be clogged and the only solution is to have it replaced.

I don't doubt your car has been well looked after but at 128,000 miles and the type of journeys you travel it may be an idea to think about an upgrade if you can afford to.

Reactions: davidoff

·
Registered
423 Posts
The first thing to do is to get the diagnostics unit plugged in and see what error codes are causing the engine management light to come on.
It could be nothing to do with the vaporizer, it could be something completely unrelated.
Its worth at least getting the basic diagnostics, either by using your own tool or paying a garage about £30 to read the codes before you write the car off.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
2,292 Posts
They do have a Vapouriser, the MK1's are a lot more prone to DPF related faults (differential pressure sensor seems quite a regular part to replace along with the pipe).

As said above get a good garage to have a look and diagnose it for you. The DPF itself could be at end off life.

You need to be careful as if calculated Soot Load gets too high, even with a new Vapouriser it will not Regenerate as it's a fire hazard.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
2,374 Posts
Hi @DVK and welcome, good to have you on board. good advice from the guys, it needs the codes checking to see what's happening. hope you get it sorted.

·
Mr. Happy. “Sweet Cheeks”
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
3,239 Posts
There's also a lot about DPF issues that we seem to discuss on a weekly basis with OUR mk1's.

Once you have got the codes then you can search on here for the BEST way to go about it.

There's been quit a few of us who HAVE had these DPF problems and have come out the other side ok.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There's also a lot about DPF issues that we seem to discuss on a weekly basis with OUR mk1's.

Once you have got the codes then you can search on here for the BEST way to go about it.

There's been quit a few of us who HAVE had these DPF problems and have come out the other side ok.

Hi @Happyarry,

Is it possible to be pointed in the direction of "hope" for sensor/glow plug/ vaporiser/dpf problems?
I'm scrolling through posts but everyone seems to have more money and/or mechanical know how than me and all I can see in my MK1 Kuga future is breakdowns and huge bills. It's currently with the dealer for the second time in a couple of weeks (bought it 5weeks ago). Non the wiser as to whether I should tell the dealer to keep it and refund me so I can get a miserable 1.6 petrol qashqai which seems to be the only thing without a dpf that I can afford! Haha.

·
Mr. Happy. “Sweet Cheeks”
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
3,239 Posts
Once you have some code's (DTC;s) then post them up on here and we can then asses the best way to proceed.

The DPF sensor always seems to go first tho, which is good if thats the only problem because the easiest to get to and the cheapest issue.
DPF cleaning can only really be done by removing the DPF and flushing through.

The Vaporizer will most deffoe be blocked on a high mileage mk1, got to have it changed otherwise the car will not REGENERATE.

Reactions: Psshaw and NigelB

·
Registered
Mk1 2009 Kuga 2.0 Titanium AWD
50 Posts
Could this engine light and limp mode possibly be caused by the engine service indicator not getting reset?
I'm sure I read that if the service light is ignored it will eventually put the car into limp mode as a safety measure because the car thinks the engine oil is well past needing changing.
There is a way to clear the service reminder on the mk1's by either holding down both the brake and accelerator pedals and then turn the ignition on, or it might have been turn the ignition on first and the hold both the brake and accelerator down until the cleared message appears on the screen.
Don't worry that the engine might start up when doing this procedure, it won't because you're not touching the clutch at all.
It's worth a try anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts