Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 plate kuga Titanium AWD , Manuel TDCi 180ps
I’ve had this car a couple of years with no problems, regularly serviced etc. Last month whilst towing a loaded horse trailer it suddenly cut out its engine whilst doing 60mph on flat duel caridge way, I had been driving g nearly 2 hours when it first happened - it then continued to cut out about every 30 minutes in total 5 times. You can not bump start when this happens it has to come to a halt and switch off the car and re start it ( which it does perfectly every time) - on the way home the trailer was empty but it still cut out twice. I have rewired the trailer lights and it tried again but happened again with a loaded trailer after 20 minutes driving. The car went to the local garage and has not shown any specific faults for the mechanic to work on. I’ve been doing some long 4 hour plus drives twice weekly recently and have no issues unless I’m towing -any ideas as what to do !! Please 😊 I do need this car to tow.
7E936B15-A74F-4EF3-92E8-9700BC929C72.jpeg

·
Super Moderator and Mr Uses Lots of Words
5,431 Posts
Could be oil pressure regulator solenoid. It should throw a code but if your mechanic doesn't have the right equipment to read both HS and MS CANBUS systems then it may not show. You need to ask that question.

Welcome to the forum and please have a read here and update your signature with your car's details.

Reactions: KevinKugax

·
Registered
2016 Titanium X 180 AWD
3 Posts
We had something similar with an old Peugeot 807. Turned out to be muck in the fuel tank restricting fuelling when the car was under the additional load of towing. We were recovered several times and the car always restarted first time. Behaved itself on normal day to day journeys. I’m not a mechanic and it took a long time to diagnose as no fault codes generated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had something similar with an old Peugeot 807. Turned out to be muck in the fuel tank restricting fuelling when the car was under the additional load of towing. We were recovered several times and the car always restarted first time. Behaved itself on normal day to day journeys. I’m not a mechanic and it took a long time to diagnose as no fault codes generated.
Thanks - we will look into this

·
Registered
31 Posts
That must be very frustrating, but the 2 answers given make a lot of sense hope you get it sorted 👍

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,523 Posts
Ideally you would want some form of diagnostics connected to pull the code when it happens (without turning the ignition off).

For some reason the PCM doesn't store some DTC's (there was a thread on here recently where it tuned out to be an oil pressure solenoid fault but no codes stored).

A cheap ELM and a laptop with FORScan would do it, or an ODBlink MX+ and FORScan Lite on a mobile (easier to carry about but more expensive).

As said above, Diesel fuel filter is worth changing regardless, easy job (I used a primer pump to bleed all the air out prior to starting).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts