Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2.0 ford kuga 14plate with only 35,000miles, recently when starting the car the engine would tick over for around 3-7 seconds and then fire up but always on the first attempt after firing up the revs would try to settle and within 3 seconds of firing up the engine would just cut out... I’ve had it to several garages who put in on diagnostic test and no faults where found from all three garages... I bought a new battery but the same thing kept happening so I took it Halfords and again the battery has no fault either.. 3weeks ago I had the car serviced and again they couldn’t find no fault.. this often happens once the car has been sat for more then 3-4 hours.. any suggestions to what could be causing this problem?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
From my days of being a diesel fitter on buses and HGV’s, we had many issues like that called “air locking”. It’s when air seeps in through a fractured pipe, bad seal or loose joint. What an absolute PITA to resolve. I can’t recall if the Kuga has a mechanical or electric pump (prob the first).

I’d research where the fuel priming pump is and see if it’s is easy to pump (prob by the main engine comp fuel filter, attached to it. Like a disc or push button) If so, then there’s air in it but it it’s slow and hard then fuel starvation isn’t an issue.

I guess this would explain why there’s no fault code.

Nightmare, good luck and let’s us know!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
It's an electric pump and, a fuel /air leak is the most likely cause.

The guy in this thread had and cured a similar problem

·
Registered
707 Posts
They have an electric lift pump in the tank but the high pressure pump is in the engine bay and driven by the engine.

Someone had similar issues and replacing the whole fuel filter assembly cured it. Sometimes they can be damaged after the filter itself is changed..

I'd be logging starts on FORScan, especially fuel rail pressure when faulting.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ah, the mysterious FORscan. The answer to all questions......
Look into my eyes the centre of my eyes, you feel sleepy, go let go drift off and FORscan will free youuuuuuu forever!!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I know what you are saying chaps.....but I likening it to this.....if you borrowed a blood pressure device would you use it once or keep checking to see if your BP is ok?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for the advice, I had a look and it seemed the vacuum hose was lose (not attached) so I took it to the garage, everything seems better but time will tell.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I know what you are saying chaps.....but I likening it to this.....if you borrowed a blood pressure device would you use it once or keep checking to see if your BP is ok?
Considering Ford wanted £100 to put our Kuga on diagnostics and read the codes ONCE, £26 for an adapter was a no brainer.

It can do all sorts, Clutch and Gear Fork calibrations on the Powershift, read codes in depth (engine state at time of fault etc). Code new modules and ABS service blead etc.

I would say it's invaluable personally.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If that was meant for me “HIS CAR IS NEVER OUT OF WARRANTY “ then I guess it never is. However almost everything is not covered from day one, so don’t be fooled and it may be not be!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you are good enough to use , understand and implement the results of FORscan, then that’s good but for most folks it’s prob out of their reach.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I learnt nearly everything I know by trying and having a go!.

Even if you get stuck you could always post a few screenshots and ask for advice..

I built and tuned my own ECU from scratch years ago, that put me in very good stead for what I do now which involves diagnostic work on a daily basis.

If you don't try you'll never know if you can..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts