Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. At the weekend whilst the wife was driving from Suffolk to the Wirral the engine service now message came up and the car went into limp mode. When she got home I plugged my bluetooth reader / torque pro in and got the code PO42E, egr valve stuck open. I cleared the fault but it came back within a few hundred yards of driving. Ive put some redex diesel cleaner in the tank but Im not really hopeful it will do any good.

Is removing and cleaning the egr valve a DIY job or should I bite the bullet and put it into the garage.

·
Registered
545 Posts
It shouldnt be too hard to locate the valve and clean it up.. The only way to clean correctly is to remove the valve and clean it by hand , soak it in paraffin overnight and then dry it off and then get a tin of spray on oven cleaner and thoroughly coat the valve , leave it to work in for a couple of hours and then get a toothbrush and give it a good scrub and it will look like new.

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
407 Posts
All the EGR valves I've cleaned especially on my X3 needed more than some paraffin and a toothbrush.
I had to use a broken hacksaw blade sharpened to get rid of the crud. Oh and wear gloves (y)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is the valve itself easy to take off I'm a reasonable DIY person but I'm no mechanic.

·
Mr Modification
Ford Kuga MK2 16/12/2014 Titanium X Sport AWD 2.0TDCI 182PS 400Nm (T8MA) Manual Sync1
454 Posts
I would say... there is some part to disassembly first:

If belive what was happened to you it might be something worsen than just dirt:

You can try to clean it but you should be ready for replace whole expensive unit 😕

·
Registered
Kuga titanium x 4x4 mk1 2012
22 Posts
First they are water cooled and are located behind the throttle body. So drop your coolant in to a clean bucket first there's a bung on the button of your radiator twist then pull. Next remove your throttle body then the plastic shroud behind it you can see the EGR now. Remove dip stick nut and other nuts you can see. Also you have to remove the stud on the left. There are 2 screws that hold the pipe into the inlet manifold fiddly but can be done there's an o ring on pipe replace that. Remove the water pipes and egr should be off. You will need a new gaskit. Good look. If you need more help. youtube egr removel ford c max look for the video made by all things Jim. You can buy a new egr off ebay about £300. Or a remanufacture from Ford.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, Ive been busy in work. Thanks MaoVi and Tandy2000, great help. Think I'll try and source a new valve rather than try and clean it.

Just for info, the Kuga isnt in limp mode, just down on power.

I will come back and let you know how I get on.

Cheers ... KB ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts