Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gents,
Does anyone knows if the 6F35 auto gearbox has a learning mode?
If yes, and if you know, I would appreciate any details around that mode, like :
-how many KM is it active
-can you reactivate and if yes, how?
-if learning is redone, do you need to switch any other settings?

I must say I would aim to do this via the classic non-Ford software, like Focccus, etc.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'd ask on the FORScan Forum, they have the Cutch and Gear Learn for the Powershift so may have service functions for your gearbox as well?.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
A battery disconnect for around 15 minutes, will reset all learned shift points.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Eh, I thought that this question might be asked. Bottom line is that I believe my cautious driving style in the first couple of KM (be it hundreds or thousands) might have made the gearbox shift "at the wrong times", contributing to a higher consumption than normal.
I have seen that, if during acceleration I take my feet of the acc pedal, it drops into a higher gear, with a lower fuel consumption.
Not sure at all, but I want to explore.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
You could look on ForScan and reset the PCM. That does the engine and trans AFAIK.

You should compare consumption to other people on here before being concerned there's something wrong

I have seen that, if during acceleration I take my feet of the acc pedal, it drops into a higher gear, with a lower fuel consumption.
That's normal behaviour. As soon as you lift your foot off the accelerator the fuel consumption will drop- it can even go to zero as no fuel is required during heavy deceleration.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@murcod So, in Spritmonitor, I'm on place 17 of 18 of the people using the same engine, car, gearbox and power.
Regarding the acceleration consumption, I need to explain clearer what's happening, just to be sure you got the idea. Let's say I accelerate in one take, without taking my foot of the pedal. I see instantaneous consumption of 7-10-14-20-25-30. Car seems to be in the same gear all this time.
If I take my feet off the acc pedal during this time, and I allow it to go to a higher gear (from 2 to 3), then I acc once again, I see max instantaneous cons of let's say 16-17.
Again, just something I saw these days, I'm not sure 100% that this is what's happening, but let's call it a suspicion that I want to investigate.
Is it the normal way ppl accelerate with this gearbox?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not sure if the Kuga has similar but assume probably not. But on my previous Disco Sport you could reset the auto gearbox by pressing the start button ( but not starting engine), pressing accelerator to the floor for 15 seconds, turn off ignition, release accelerator, wait two minutes and restart. This reset the auto gearbox back to learning mode and took a few days to adjust to your driving style again.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
@murcod So, in Spritmonitor, I'm on place 17 of 18 of the people using the same engine, car, gearbox and power.
Regarding the acceleration consumption, I need to explain clearer what's happening, just to be sure you got the idea. Let's say I accelerate in one take, without taking my foot of the pedal. I see instantaneous consumption of 7-10-14-20-25-30. Car seems to be in the same gear all this time.
If I take my feet off the acc pedal during this time, and I allow it to go to a higher gear (from 2 to 3), then I acc once again, I see max instantaneous cons of let's say 16-17.
Again, just something I saw these days, I'm not sure 100% that this is what's happening, but let's call it a suspicion that I want to investigate.
Is it the normal way ppl accelerate with this gearbox?
I think you shouldn't take too much notice of the instantaneous fuel consumption read out.
This is not too accurate.
If you do the battery disconnect method you will only need to retune your radio stations.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Instantaneous consumption will be all over the place (because the engine demands more fuel for accelerating).

Engine load is transient. I've seen instantaneous down to 3mpg while towing caravan up big hills with our 2l Diesel.

If you are accelerating it requires much more fuel than cruising.

You could be worse off in a higher gear depending on the torque characteristics of your engine.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
So, in Spritmonitor, I'm on place 17 of 18 of the people using the same engine, car, gearbox and power.
Fuel economy will vary depending on where you live, what routes you drive and your driving style. My average economy changed by close to 2l/100km when I moved houses and drove a different route to work.

If you do the battery disconnect method you will only need to retune your radio stations.
My Sync 2 keeps the radio presets (but restarts on AM radio- change to DAB or FM and they're all still there.) I do lose all the Nav presets which is a major PITA to save again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts