Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys

I'm pretty sure that the kuga will be my next car - it just ticks more of my boxes than anything else I can find.

I've heard the sat nav isn't up to much and was wondering how those of you who opted for it find the experience?

I really like the idea of the rear they parking camera but not sure I want to spend 1500quid extra if its just a gimmick. (I already have tomtom and google maps on my PDA...

would be really grateful to hear your opinions..?

(other issue is I can't find many used examples with sat nav option so may have to go NEW to get this - extra 5 or 6 grand total.)

kind regards

dr_nick

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also - is it possible to play any other DVDs on the system? for example - my entire music collection fits on a DVD in mp3 format...

thanks!

·
Registered
855 Posts
Hi Dr_nick,

If you can live without the Sat Nav, make sure you get the USB option. Copy your music collection onto an 8GB Flash drive and play it from the USB slot in the centre console through the excellent Sony Dab System. I think it's one of the best options available on the K.

Good luck finding your K, you won't regret the effort.

TK

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got the premium nav in my Titanium (presume ur looking at Zetec if it's a £1500 option, much less in mine. For sat nav it's ok, missed a couple of post codes so far but generally very easy to use with clear directions on screen and verbally. Not as good as my tomtom unit for updates and poi (no cameras for example) but nothing I miss to be honest. I love the rear camera, great for parking and also hooking up my car trailer to the tow bar. It also includes heated front seats which I was specing so that eased the cost to some degree. The stereo and all other controls through the touch screen are great and it sounds good.

No chance of dvd operation, it's hidden behind the facia somewhere. I hust hook an iPod nano into the ports in the centre arm rest and I have full control over it through the screen, perfect.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks rich_y2 - that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

I think its a bit misleading to call it "DVD navigation"if you can't also use it as DVD? especially when its not all that unusual in terms of ICE these days...

I hear it is POSSIBLE to remove the DVD by "popping" off the ?volume knob - anyone tried putting any other disc in the slot?!

thanks again :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
rich_y2,
Hope you don't mind me asking but where is the camera located? I have been pondering retrofitting a camera or parking sensors but can't decide which. I have not seen any pictures of the Ford one but would expect it would fit an aftermarket screen as head unit connections seem to be fairly standard. All the aftermarket cameras seem to be aimed at vans and apart from the bumper and numberplate mounts would stick out like a sore thumb.

·
Registered
153 Posts
As you look at the back of the car the camera is just to the left of the rear hatch opener (centre button not the smalltailgate opener)and the camera itself is fixed to the upper tailgate like the switches. I presume there must be a small circular blanking plug or plate on non-camera cars?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is the camera obvious? any chance you could post some pics?

·
Registered
296 Posts
rich_y2,
Thanks for the info. I have been trawling the web looking for picturesand seen a camera like you describe listed for a mondeo. Looks to be a very neat job, only thing is, I can only find them inthe USAand the last time I ordered from there I got stung for import duty, VAT andParcelforce kindly added on £20 for the pleasure of them settling my C&E charges (despite me not been given the option to pay them myself). I will have to price a one up at the Ford dealer next time I'm passing but will brace myself for the shock ($40 in USA, probablya couple of hundredin the UK). I will have a look at what's there when the camera isn't fitted, once again, many thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
dr_nick,
If you have a look at this link the mondeo fit one is the sixth one down. All you would see is the small camera housing as the rest is mounted in the tailgate.

http://www.autodvdgps.com/backup-cameras-c-10.html

rich_y2,

Do you still have both lights present to illuminate your number plate (presuming there are 2 to start with)? The mondeo one seems to fit into the number plate light hole.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yes both lights are still there, a couple of pics below. The small dome upper left is the camera.

Edited by: rich_y2

·
Registered
296 Posts
Neat job, I priced the camera yesterday, no Kuga camera listed yet but the generic one for Mondeo/Fiesta/S-Max etc is £260 and needs to be fitted to the factory head unit (according to the dealers screen). Think I will wait until my Kuga arrives and make a decision then. Thanks for posting the pics, most helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts