Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCI Titanium X 4x4
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have error code B1317-20: high voltage at the instument cluster (used forscan).
I've monitored voltage with a multimeter at the battery with engine running and have around 14.4v, forscan also says around 14.4v but when monitoring the instrument cluster voltage it builds up from 14.4v to 19v+ then the instrument cluster cuts out while all other voltages remain at 14.4v
I have a ford wiring manual pdf but it doesn't show where the power for the IC comes from or if it has it's own voltage regulator.

Any information greatly appreciated, look forward to learning and sharing.

Regards

Tommy

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,706 Posts
Hi all,

I have error code B1317-20: high voltage at the instument cluster (used forscan).
I've monitored voltage with a multimeter at the battery with engine running and have around 14.4v, forscan also says around 14.4v but when monitoring the instrument cluster voltage it builds up from 14.4v to 19v+ then the instrument cluster cuts out while all other voltages remain at 14.4v
I have a ford wiring manual pdf but it doesn't show where the power for the IC comes from or if it has it's own voltage regulator.

Any information greatly appreciated, look forward to learning and sharing.

Regards

Tommy
Hi @TommLT - I can't really help with a solution to your problem but your car along with the Focus and other fords that used the same instrument cluster had some issues with the solder breaking down causing issues with the cluster. Have a look here. The video does go on for a bit but this guy know what he is doing. I know a few owners have re-soldered these themselves. Depends on how good you are with a soldering iron.

Reactions: TommLT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
A very informative video, I had heard of the dodgy solder joints but they didn't quite fit the bill. A key piece of information I was looking for was in the video, he mentions the voltage regulators on the pcb.
Time to start stripping...... the cluster that is.
I'll keep you posted how it goes.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

Had to send the cluster away for repair.... twice. The first time it came back we had more problems than the initial high voltage, second time the problem was solved and everything was working fine. Unfortunately couldn't get any specifics of the repairs just " we replaced a couple of parts".
Anyways hope this info may help others.

·
6,706 Posts
Update:

Had to send the cluster away for repair.... twice. The first time it came back we had more problems than the initial high voltage, second time the problem was solved and everything was working fine. Unfortunately couldn't get any specifics of the repairs just " we replaced a couple of parts".
Anyways hope this info may help others.
Glad you got it sorted.

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,672 Posts
What was the cost TommLT.............?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
£80 repair £12 postage.

·
6,706 Posts
£80 repair £12 postage.
That's not too bad is it. Did you send it to the guy in the video I posted or someone else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was the cheapest option, I came across the repair service (not the one in the video) when I was looking for new/used clocks. New/used clocks and programming would cost at least double what the repair was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts