Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
168 Posts
I'm afraid I've not got many now, I think I had a few more on my old phone so I can try and dig them out, or if you can hang on till next week I'll take it off as it's not too bad to take off again for me now.

Basically 1st photo shows what I found after buying the car.

When I came to do the replacement there wasn't really enough room to lift it out with what was cut there. I don't think the previous owners were successful in their attempt to remove.

If you note the tear in the metalwork by the wiring grommet (first pic) that was because where the wiring goes though at very least you'll need to bend that back.

When I came to do the job very quickly became apparent to do it properly the hole needed extending.

The second picture shows roughly where I extended the cut to. Note I didn't go to the point where the other plate is tack welded as didn't want to disturb the join there at all.

The bottom picture shows where I located the wiring to, plus the back of my parents broken dishwasher (I think) was cut and moulded to fit the hole and is held in with some self tappers. You can see I had to clean off the sound deadening stuff to give a decent flat surface to attach to. (The carpet directly above this hole was wet when I bought the car, how I found the hole, so don't leave it open when completed as water does splash in up there from the road)
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper
Motor vehicle Hood Light Bumper Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Hood Light Bumper Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper

Reactions: keithmac

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
168 Posts
When I say take it off I mean the access panel on the car and I'll get some new pics

·
Registered
2010 Kuga 2.0 Cdti (163bhp)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Absolutely perfect mate! I'm glad I didnt copy the cutout size on the pic I was shown first as it's the pic of ur car wen u had it, il remove the black bars and try and copy the cutout that you done, my new pump came today so going to tackle this on the weekend! Thanks again for taking the time to show me them pics! Dale

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
7,741 Posts
Cut a panel above a fuel tank risky or insane
Welding an old style steel petrol tank would be insane. My dad did it. It's all a question of assessing the risks and then taking the right course of action to negate the risk. He did that but didn't mention to his colleagues the method he was using and for some reason they all emptied the workshop when he brought the tank in for welding.

In this instance I doubt if the member is going to create the opening with a gas axe.

·
Registered
2010 Kuga 2.0 Cdti (163bhp)
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Welding an old style steel petrol tank would be insane. My dad did it. It's all a question of assessing the risks and then taking the right course of action to negate the risk. He did that but didn't mention to his colleagues the method he was using and for some reason they all emptied the workshop when he brought the tank in for welding.

In this instance I doubt if the member is going to create the opening with a gas axe.
I couldn't have put it better myelf

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
1,160 Posts

Did you never do the old fuel tank over the exhaust pipe trick. We used to do that to weld motorcycle tanks. Still risky but I'm still here. (y)

·
7,741 Posts
Did you never do the old fuel tank over the exhaust pipe trick. We used to do that to weld motorcycle tanks. Still risky but I'm still here. (y)
No, i wouldn't have done anything risky. My dad had the tank cleaned properly and stuck a blow lamp in there just to make sure all fumes had been removed.......just kidding. I think he filled it with water just as a precaution.

·
Administrator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
2,373 Posts
Does that mean your dad's car was 'Hydromatic' 🙈

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
168 Posts
Right some pics.

Though before I do that a couple of bits of info.

1 - If like me you're going to make a screw down cover plate for it afterwards, make sure you make it big enough, and position the screws so you don't need to take the seat frame out for future removals... I wasted 15min with a pair of pliars and a screwdriver head getting the self tappers I put in out again..... didn't consider the frame at all when putting it on and only just realised the ball ache it is removing that plate with the frame in place.

2 - technically you can possibly do it with the seat frame in place but I think it would be very very cramped to do it (especially as with the float you need to feed it down at an angle) I'd certainly recommend taking the frame out.

3 - you'll see I tried to measure the hole that's cut, but I also tried to measure the clearance you have to the filter. At the front of the hole there's about 70mm down to the tank, this narrows towards the back of the car to about 25mm at one point, so I definitely recommend starting the hole more towards the front of the car.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive lighting

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Wood Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Fender

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Font

Automotive tire Tire Tread Wheel Road surface

Also be aware the approximate position of the electrical connection on the pump, you'll want to get that well out of the way as early as you can as you have no real idea as to the routing so I'd suggest pulling the grommet out and trying to see where the cables are laying under prior to cutting and as soon as you have it open enough to get the connector off whip it out of the way so it's not at risk.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,764 Posts
That’s a good effort but call me stubborn, I’d have gone the hard route. I know, what am I like…..but that’s what garages are for. Lol

I just couldn’t do it….🔨

·
7,741 Posts
That’s a good effort but call me stubborn, I’d have gone the hard route. I know, what am I like…..but that’s what garages are for. Lol

I just couldn’t do it….🔨
His hole was already there Phil.

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
168 Posts
His hole was already there Phil.
Yep, found it while trying to stop my Kuga being a paddling pool, about 3 weeks after I bought it. Doubt it's the most common leak path in the car...

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,764 Posts
Wow. Wonder if the person who did it was a butcher.

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
168 Posts
Wow. Wonder if the person who did it was a butcher.
Quite possibly, what they weren't was an electrician, found the wires chafing of an angle ground edge when I opened it the first time...

·
7,741 Posts
Quite possibly, what they weren't was an electrician, found the wires chafing of an angle ground edge when I opened it the first time...
I remember from when you first posted the original pictures.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
3,764 Posts
I missed them. Must have been after my first “birching”.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts