Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new Kuga owner here. Mk1 2009 2.0tdci manual. 136,000 miles on odometer.

My Kuga has just developed the infamous splutter on light acceleration between 1750-2000rpm.

I see this has been a topic for discussion quite a lot but I have found no definitive answer. I have driven the car at red line for 5 miles or so in each gear to try and give it a good clear out, to no avail. I bought a new MAF sensor as this was my first thought, problem still persists. Has anybody found a true solution to this problem?

It's driving me crazy.

Please help!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dmallbans.
Lots of friendly helpful people on here to get you some advice on your problem mate.
Can you pop your Kuga details into your signature and that way everyone will know straight away what car you have without going back to your first post.
Go to your photo in top right corner open settings, and signature is in there.
Any faults recorded that you know about?
Any messages on dash about service etc?
Diesel cars need 2 things to run, Air & Fuel, if the cars not getting enough of either then the engine could splutter.
Could be as simple as air filter or more serious fuel pump?

If you are managing to red line it, then it's getting both at high revs but lacking at the lower end, which to me means the turbo is pushing the Air in at high revs.
I would check the air filter as it could just be full of dust and crap and not allowing a low flow of air thru.

Just my thought's and I'm sure there's someone with the exact answer who can help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum Dmallbans.
Lots of friendly helpful people on here to get you some advice on your problem mate.
Can you pop your Kuga details into your signature and that way everyone will know straight away what car you have without going back to your first post.
Go to your photo in top right corner open settings, and signature is in there.
Any faults recorded that you know about?
Any messages on dash about service etc?
Diesel cars need 2 things to run, Air & Fuel, if the cars not getting enough of either then the engine could splutter.
Could be as simple as air filter or more serious fuel pump?

If you are managing to red line it, then it's getting both at high revs but lacking at the lower end, which to me means the turbo is pushing the Air in at high revs.
I would check the air filter as it could just be full of dust and crap and not allowing a low flow of air thru.

Just my thought's and I'm sure there's someone with the exact answer who can help you.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I think I've managed to get my car details on there.

There are no lights and no messages. I wish it would just throw up a warning light to give me an idea. No fault codes that I would suspect a link between at all.

So the problem was there before I serviced (new air filter) it and its still there afterwards. Air filter was a suspected culprit.

Now I know that this 1750-2000 rev range is the key point of the EGR valve opening up. Would you think EGR blanking might be a solution to this?

I was thinking if it was fuel pump it would happen at different revs and heavier acceleration, I'm not ruling it out though.

Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
849 Posts
Ditto what Happyarry has said,welcome ,,yes loads of helpful folks on here to help with any questions you have about the kuga even if it sounds bizarre I’m sure someone here could help you.,,,
If you could put the details of your kuga in your signature it would help other forum users when you need help or advice in the future saves you repeating your self all the time,
hope you get the problem you are having sorted soon.

Ross

·
Registered
736 Posts
Very strange how it only happens between those revs.
I'm not that technically knowledgeable about the EGR to be honest, But I'm sure there will be someone on here that can shed a little light on it for you.

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
47 Posts
As someone who has a fuel starvation sputter atm I feel your pain...

Couple of questions

1. Does it happen every time through those rev ranges or is it more intermittent?

2. Have you had any work done eg. New timing belt recently (I ask because there's a thread where it was caused by damage to a sensor which cause a sputter at a specific rev range see post no.16 Power loss ?? )

Other than that try the easy cheap fixes first like you started on the MAF sensor. I'd suggest new air and fuel filters too - but these probably aren't too likely for such a specific rev range...

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
47 Posts
In terms of the EGR if you were to blank it, I will state it is technically not legal, as it is part of your emissions control on the car. Plus it would need an ECU remap to get rid of the warnings about it not working properly. If you think it may be the guilty party maybe try stripping it off and giving it a clean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In terms of the EGR if you were to blank it, I will state it is technically not legal, as it is part of your emissions control on the car. Plus it would need an ECU remap to get rid of the warnings about it not working properly. If you think it may be the guilty party maybe try stripping it off and giving it a clean?
Hi stevros

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi stevros
Hi stevros3

The problem is definitely more intermittent. If I was to suspect the crank sensor as stated in that thread I would expect it to be a constant problem. Very interesting read though, EGR and DPF were both stated. I also read a thread where it was a poor ECU map and a remap eliminated it, my guess would be the EGR was eliminated from that map.

The timing belt and pump were changed 16,000 miles ago the problem occured about 1000 miles ago so I can't see it being work related. All filter have been changed. I think your right though, I think my next step will be remove EGR and DPF and clean them ultrasonic also the air intake manifold.
These are cost effective solutions. I can't afford to spend ££££'s chasing a splutter.

Through experience I found that blanking the EGR with a blanking plate with a 5mm hole in it allows just enough gas through to raise that sensor temperature by a few degrees meaning no remap is necessary.

My problem is I bought this Kuga to tow a new caravan and don't fancy a splutter at 60mph with that in tow. Maybe a remap would be in favour anyhow given my situation.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
47 Posts
Good luck if you find a working solution do let me know, may be helpful to me too.

·
Registered
2008 Zetec Kuga Mk1
47 Posts
Also forgot to say if you lift the engine cover off one of the fuel lines is clear so you can see if there are any air bubbles in the fuel line potential. If you see them it's not 100% that it's the cause but is a possible indicator as to where the issue might lie.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not sure if this is exactly the same as your problem, but when I bought my Kuga, for the first few months was unhappy with the 'lumpy acceleration' as I use to call it.
I had a remap done locally and I have to say, it was smooth as silk after and totally transformed the cars responsiveness.

I bought it 3 years old 7 years ago and it still drives smoothly.

One thing I do when it goes in for a service or oil change is have a Terraclean(about 100 quid for a 2 ltr engine) at the same time, I do mainly local journeys and it decarbonises the engine, I do notice the difference if the car has not had a proper run in a while.

A little food for thought anyway, hope you get to the bottom of it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not sure if this is exactly the same as your problem, but when I bought my Kuga, for the first few months was unhappy with the 'lumpy acceleration' as I use to call it.
I had a remap done locally and I have to say, it was smooth as silk after and totally transformed the cars responsiveness.

I bought it 3 years old 7 years ago and it still drives smoothly.

One thing I do when it goes in for a service or oil change is have a Terraclean(about 100 quid for a 2 ltr engine) at the same time, I do mainly local journeys and it decarbonises the engine, I do notice the difference if the car has not had a proper run in a while.

A little food for thought anyway, hope you get to the bottom of it!
Hi Jule71,
Yes I'm definitely going to be taking it in for a rempap start of the new year. I've been looking into the carbon cleans too. I think I may have to make them an annual thing like you have.

I'll get to the bottom of it.
I've noticed a lot of posts with owners suffering with this exact same fault as me but no solution.

thanks for your help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts