Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCI Titanium 4x4 MK1 2008
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help, woman in need!
MK 1 Kuga has had a re map and removed the DPF as the car went into limp mode and black smoke blocked the system. The exhaust has also had something done to it (but I don’t know the technical wording). The re map worked and the car is now running with normal power and not in limp mode but it’s chucking out black smoke still. Do I need to clear the build up?

·
Premium Member
Kuga ST Line X 1.5 Eco 180ps 6 Speed Auto AWD Magnetic
659 Posts
Hi @Little_missamanda and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you know it’s illegal to remove the DPF. I suspect they may have removed the guts from the DPF and disguised the removal. It looks like the engine is over fuelling, you need to get the codes read to give you a steer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi @Little_missamanda and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you know it’s illegal to remove the DPF. I suspect they may have removed the guts from the DPF and disguised the removal. It looks like the engine is over fuelling, you need to get the codes read to give you a steer.
Yes sadly I’ve just been informed what they have done is illegal (crying inside). I’m now looking into buying an new after market DPF. Because the car has been re mapped for the removal, will this mean putting a new DPF on it won’t work now?

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I’m not quite sure why they needed to remove the DPF for the remap. Did you have a blocked DPF if so you should have dealt with that before the remap.
Could you add your car details to your signature to help with identification.

Your in a difficult position now, you need to know what exactly has been done to your exhaust system to find a solution because your car will fail it’s MOT if they see the DPF is removed.
Which remap have you used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not quite sure why they needed to remove the DPF for the remap. Did you have a blocked DPF if so you should have dealt with that before the remap.
Could you add your car details to your signature to help with identification.

Your in a difficult position now, you need to know what exactly has been done to your exhaust system to find a solution because your car will fail it’s MOT if they see the DPF is removed.
Which remap have you used.
I have no idea what re map has been used. All I know is it has deleted something and cleared the faults so it’s no longer in limp mode. I know a re gen was tried but it wouldn’t work so a re map was done. I’m happy to buy a new DPF but wasn’t sure if it would actually work if they have deleted sensors etc.

·
Registered
Kuga MK1 4x4 2.0d 136hp
152 Posts
Seem he DPF was blocked because of other issue/s , too much fuel, too lean... Excessive smoke could not be compensate by the regeneration and even with new one it is matter of time before you ends up in same situation. Good garage should first check the car properly and fix the smoke issue, then to rollback the software and re install the new DPF. Usually they should not remove any hardware (except the DPF inner core) so just software solution.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Seem he DPF was blocked because of other issue/s , too much fuel, too lean... Excessive smoke could not be compensate by the regeneration and even with new one it is matter of time before you ends up in same situation. Good garage should first check the car properly and fix the smoke issue, then to rollback the software and re install the new DPF. Usually they should not remove any hardware (except the DPF inner core) so just software solution.
It’s against the law to remove a DPF in the UK, irrespective of how it’s carried out 🇬🇧

·
Registered
Kuga MK1 4x4 2.0d 136hp
152 Posts
Indeed it is illegal here too, i am just thinking out loud on the technical story lead to the removal and underlying issue that is still present.... Putting new will be just very temporary solution, so my point was first the car then put new one.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
6,706 Posts
My last car had DPF issues and after numerous failures of regeneration, additional costs for unnecessary oil changes, I had had enough and off it went to the DPF doctor. I vowed never to buy another diesel again. However, the failures on that car was due to the design of the dpf regeneration system which had more criteria for it to work than Ford's stop/start system. A great car ruined by an awful DPF design. I was actually told to run the car by the main dealer at 80mph on the motorway in 5th !! Their system like many others was not really fit for purpose at the time because even running the car at high speed on a motorway, it would still fail a regeneration and due to the software design, it wouldn't try again and off it had to go for a forced regen and if it had dumped enough diesel in the sump, an oil change. Awful system and honest john is full of complaints about that particular engine and manufacturer. The only solution was to have it seen to but that resulted in then having a car which smoked and no way would you want to open the tailgate with the engine running. It stunk. It did improve with mileage but after agreeing to have it seen to all that was wrong was the pressure sensor was faulty.

Lesson learned that if you have a DPF problem, fix the problem and not remove the dpf or keep trying forced regenerations to try and clear the problem.

Note the car still passed the MOT and is still on the road today.

The Ford design however works extremely well on the mk2 and no way would I consider having it removed or doctored. Normally on a mk 1 the first thing to replace would be the DPF pressure sensor and go from there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Guys, I hope this helps. In order for the DPF to have the soot removed it needs to reach a temp of around 600 degrees which normally happens when a fuel injector pumps high pressure diesel directly onto the face of the DPF.
The DPF has an automatic regen system built in it in the form of a fuel injector called the 'DPF fuel injector'! however after a while it may get blocked and stop working of just fail.. this prevents the high temperature clean that happens without you knowing it, and eventually cause limp temporary limp home modes and slow starting.

This will also prevent and effective 'Forced Regen' from taking place under the control of a decent OBD scanner. It will come up with 'failed to reach correct temperature', or 'Failed warm up process'.
A new OEM injector kit costs around £150 or a non OEM around £95 on Ebay, takes about an hours work from under the drivers side under the car.

Please do not use chemical cleaning forced regen as advertised by lots of third party mobile techs, as although they do work, This process also also removes the critical Platinum on the face of the DPF which makes it work ( its also the reason why there are so many DPF thieves, as Platinum is worth a lot of money to them.)

As always I welcome feedback, its the only way we learn.

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,820 Posts
Hi Guys, I hope this helps. In order for the DPF to have the soot removed it needs to reach a temp of around 600 degrees which normally happens when a fuel injector pumps high pressure diesel directly onto the face of the DPF.
The DPF has an automatic regen system built in it in the form of a fuel injector called the 'DPF fuel injector'! however after a while it may get blocked and stop working of just fail.. this prevents the high temperature clean that happens without you knowing it, and eventually cause limp temporary limp home modes and slow starting.

This will also prevent and effective 'Forced Regen' from taking place under the control of a decent OBD scanner. It will come up with 'failed to reach correct temperature', or 'Failed warm up process'.
A new OEM injector kit costs around £150 or a non OEM around £95 on Ebay, takes about an hours work from under the drivers side under the car.

Please do not use chemical cleaning forced regen as advertised by lots of third party mobile techs, as although they do work, This process also also removes the critical Platinum on the face of the DPF which makes it work ( its also the reason why there are so many DPF thieves, as Platinum is worth a lot of money to them.)

As always I welcome feedback, its the only way we learn.
It's called a DPF Fuel Vapouriser Valve, and they are common for clogging up which isn't surprising considering where they are mounted and what they do!

Good post bye the way.

The PCM ascertains the Soot Load via the DPF Relative Pressure Sensor and if it believes the DPF is blocked it will not regen to reduce risk of Engine Damage and possibility of fire.

Our MK2 is still clean as a whistle at 80,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts