Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had there DPF removed and a re-map, if so has this made a big difference in mpg and performance ??

Cheers

Hugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
I don't think anybody will own up to having it done as it is illegal
all I can say is if you get the right firm to do the job you will be very happy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
AIUI, it's not illegal to remove it but technically, it can't pass an MOT without it. This has been discussed very recently but I can't remember what thread it was inEdited by: Pennine MC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Pennine MC said:
AIUI, it's not illegal to remove it but technically, it can't pass an MOT without it. This has been discussed very recently but I can't remember what thread it was in
Ten minutes of research on line will show you that it is not illegal to remove the DPF but it is illegal to drive the car on a public road. Also it will invalidate your insurance and you could be up for tax evasion as you are paying road tax based on the cars emmisions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
All of the above is true.

"My mate" gets 10% better MPG on average and drives a lot smoother. And has never failed an MOT.

-WCK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Helipilot said:
Pennine MC said:
AIUI, it's not illegal to remove it but technically, it can't pass an MOT without it. This has been discussed very recently but I can't remember what thread it was in
Ten minutes of research on line will show you that it is not illegal to remove the DPF but it is illegal to drive the car on a public road. .
It might show the OP; it won't show me, as I'm not interested in removing mine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
As long as the DPF system is working, you have no issues.
Once it starts acting up, you'll think otherwise.
Mine is also removed, and same thing here. Illegal to remove from a vehicle that has it from the factory.
But I have been to the MOT twice now. And both times the guy has asked how my engine is so clean.
Just giving out my experience and info.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hi Tarmo
Just out of curiosity, if yours is removed what have you filled up the gap left in the exhaust system with??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
I think the exhaust shop opens the housing, removes the DPF internals then welds the housing back together.They should make sure the cuts and welds are on the top of the DPF housing so they can't be seen if someone looks underneath the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,599 Posts
I've never investigated this, but isn't it obvious when it is removed that soot becomes an issue. Literally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Fillco said:
I've never investigated this, but isn't it obvious when it is removed that soot becomes an issue. Literally.
I thought the same. But actually the result is the opposite.
Last time I went to the MOT, they checked the soot or particulates or whatever they measure from the exhaust.

The legal limit is 3.0, but my Kuga produces only 0.3.
So this tells me that if your vehicle has a healthy engine and good oil you will pass.
In my case I have removed the DPF(internals only) and EGR(in ECU), but the EGR is still on the engine.

Yes, when it is pitch black outside, and someone is driving behind me, I can see from the mirrors some minor smoke in their headlight at full open throttle.
But I consider this very good, because most of the time you don't accelerate that aggressively. Also during the day I can't see any smoke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
I think there's a few on here who are in denial of the fact that the DPF is there for a good reason, to catch the particulates that go down our lungs. Whats the point of it otherwise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,599 Posts
Thanks Tarmo.

I'm with Blastersump though, the DPF is there for a good reason no matter how much of a pain they they may be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
I am with Blastersump and Fillco on the DPF being there for a good reason. In addition, watch for the annual testing regime to become stricter in the fallout from the general diesel tightening up. The cost of re-instating the DPF might wipe the smiles from a few faces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
tarmo120 said:
Fillco said:
I've never investigated this, but isn't it obvious when it is removed that soot becomes an issue. Literally.
I thought the same. But actually the result is the opposite.
Last time I went to the MOT, they checked the soot or particulates or whatever they measure from the exhaust.

The legal limit is 3.0, but my Kuga produces only 0.3.
So this tells me that if your vehicle has a healthy engine and good oil you will pass.
In my case I have removed the DPF(internals only) and EGR(in ECU), but the EGR is still on the engine.

Yes, when it is pitch black outside, and someone is driving behind me, I can see from the mirrors some minor smoke in their headlight at full open throttle.
But I consider this very good, because most of the time you don't accelerate that aggressively. Also during the day I can't see any smoke.
So it dosent bother you that your insurance is INVALIDE and if you kill someone while you are driving your ILLEGAL vehicle neither you...or the person you kill and there family will get any compensation......for your stupidity....but at least you have a healthy engine....aye
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,072 Posts
Well, that is your opinion. And I have not asked for that. I just wrote how the engine acts without the named items. Anyhow here the insurance does not care about upgrades/downgrades of a car. They only care that your car looks factory and can stop when needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
956 Posts
I'm an MOT tester (bikes not cars!), they've started shutting down the "MOT friendly" DPF removal firms and banning the testers.

New rules are coming out over DPF tesing at MOT and also roadside inspections.

You roll the dice and take the chance.

Our Mk2 Powershift doesn't seem to suffer from having a DPF and it will be staying put.

As fars as the Opacity Measurment there are talks of having a DPF specific opacity reading, ours was below 0.1 with DPF, the tester said it was one of the lowest he'd ever seen.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top