Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mr. Forgetful
ST-Line Edition 2019 AWD - Petrol - Auto
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As one of my little upgrades, I bought some nice knurled aluminium dark silver dust caps, but when I came to take them off at the weekend, to check my tyre pressures... stuck fast!
Not had a problem before, but this time they had fused with the brass valve, and despite using two sets of pliers to get them off, they were not coming off :oops:

Ended up taking it to my local Kwik Fit and it took them an hour to take off all the wheels and tyres and replace all the valves, due to the tyre pressure sensors :rolleyes:

And for the pleasure, they fleeced me a grand total of £0.00p :D
I have no idea why, but they insisted they didn't want paying and to just consider them when I need new tyres.
How that business model works, I've not got a clue, but I'm not complaining!
Double thumbs up for the guys at Kwik Fit (y)(y)

My poor baby :cry::p

·
Mr. Helpful & Still a Moderator
Kuga, Titanium X Sport 2016
408 Posts
Lad at work had same problem... With his i30.... £200 later 4 new valves..... Well done Kwick Fit.... 😊😊😊

Reactions: Phil Doggo

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes I heard that too on the Ecosport Forum when I bought some for the wife's car. I have the same type chrome lockable Tyre Valve Caps but I greased them first inside and put a bit on each valve too. Luckily been OK for the past few years...

·
Registered
489 Posts
BTW I went to Kwik-Fit a few years ago and they carried out a puncture repair for free too. Good for business if you pass the message on...

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
I said I would never use Kwik Fit but they were cheapest for a set of two Pirellis so off I went. No problems to be fair and even torqued the nuts down in front of me.

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think newer metal caps have a plastic insert.

Maybe I should have put a bit of oil or grease to reduce the chance of this happening - oh well, lesson learned :rolleyes:

·
Registered
489 Posts
I only heard about it on another Forum before I bought mine although had them on my other cars too without issues. I do tend to check the tyres every month so may have helped. Still can't believe they didn't charge you though or at least try to sell you some tyres. There is such a thing as a 'Free lunch'! (y)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Same on my mates Kia Optima. Don't think he checked tyre pressures in 2- 3 years! Was putting new tyres on next day so not that bothered.

I have metals & check every 2 weeks or so. Not been a problem. I bit of vasoline or pink grease would do.

The salt water off roads must corrode.

·
Super Moderator
Ford Kuga 2013 Titanium X
1,337 Posts
I thought everyone knew this, dissimilar metals!

Get your act together Doggo! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Maybe I should have put a bit of oil or grease to reduce the chance of this happening....
I had a set of Richbrook anti-tamper valve caps on my previous car (Mondeo MK4) and had one of those get stuck and what a job I had getting that of them off.

I needed them at the time as the little scrotes round here used to think it was funny to let tyres down, the little d***s.

It was that well stuck, the whole bleedin' valve stem started turning in the alloy wheel when trying to remove the the valve cap.

Was advised by Richbrook themselves to use a little copper grease (CopaSlip) and never had an issue since.

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The originals are the best :D

I thought everyone knew this, dissimilar metals!

Get your act together Doggo! :ROFLMAO:
F minus for that one indeed :LOL:

I had a set of Richbrook anti-tamper valve caps on my previous car (Mondeo MK4) and had one of those get stuck and what a job I had getting that of them off.

I needed them at the time as the little scrotes round here used to think it was funny to let tyres down, the little d***s.

It was that well stuck, the whole bleedin' valve stem started turning in the alloy wheel when trying to remove the the valve cap.

Was advised by Richbrook themselves to use a little copper grease (CopaSlip) and never had an issue since.
Top tip (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,337 Posts
See with you being Mr. Forgetful, you were obviously taught that at school but forgot :ROFLMAO:

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reactions: andspenka

·
Mr. Uses Lots of Words
4,685 Posts
I had some metal caps years ago. Think they were aluminium but never had a problem removing them that I can recall. Was on the motorbike though so possibly not get as hot. I think @Phil Doggo will like these.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 22.56.41.png

·
Registered
2017 Mk2 Titanium 180 AWD, manual, Frozen White, Sync2, Black BBS 17" wheels, convenience pack
193 Posts
had the same issue on an Insignia, lesson learned, havnt done it since

·
Mr. Forgetful
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had some metal caps years ago. Think they were aluminium but never had a problem removing them that I can recall. Was on the motorbike though so possibly not get as hot. I think @Phil Doggo will like these.
I absolutely LOVE those, but I'm ahead of the game already :p

Reactions: Les and smartguy69

·
Super Moderator
1,337 Posts
They come with a spanner so you can get them super tight 🙄

1 - 20 of 23 Posts