Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

161 - 180 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
any tyre that's the same size is suitable..... just remember that not all the animals are equal with some being better than others. tyres always comes down to a choice and trade off... the higher performance usually means a higher cost.

I never scrimp on tyres (EVER).
Thats the point, i want to trade the michelins latitude which are humble on dry and poor on wet for a high performance summer tyre, like those f1 asym 5 or similar which are much better on my daily driving situations, and would reduce drastically the breaking distance on wet, very poor on the oem tyres. Basically, since i dont do any offroad, there are no trade offs here

... I never had a SUV / mpv / offroad vehicle, thats why im asking :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hello

I got a kuga 1.5d with the latitudes on 235 55 17

Since i live in the portuguese coast and, don't offroad, and we got no snow here (never ever), which tyres can i use to replace the OEMs, which suck a bit on wet??

E.g., can i use a Eagle F1 Asym 5 on the Kuga?
I got continentals on mine. I can fault the wet grip. I have also used Goodyear efficient grip and Dunlop SP sport blue response which both had excellent wet grip on my Mazda 6. I also ran a set of Toyo Proxes in 17" on the Mazda and although these are not a premium tyre they still had excellent grip in the wet. The Dunlop's were the best but wore out quick. Not too sure what will be going on the Kuga when it need tyres as it came with the Continentals. I find the continentals grip well in the wet for cornering but spin up easy when it gets down to about 10 degrees.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
can i use a Eagle F1 Asym 5 on the Kuga?
I've got the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 in 235/55R17 fitted and they're an excellent tyre. The grip in the wet is very good, dry grip and handling is excellent. I've also done the odd dirt track with them and they coped fine. They're quieter than my other set of (19") wheels on coarse road surfaces. Given they're a performance tyre the sidewalls are a bit stiffer than a touring tyre, so you may notice a difference with the ride quality.

As already mentioned any tyre in that size can be fitted. You just need to check the tyre load rating is high enough.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Uniroyal? owned by continental, Tend to be a little cheaper, grip well in the wet & dry.
A lot of club racers use them circuits.

However do tend wear quick, but they do a SUV tyre.

Hancook are also becoming a name to consider

·
Registered
595 Posts
The sky has run out of rain and first fine day for many weeks. So a tyre shuffle in order.

I am running the Goodyear Gen2 all season as per signature, see post #144 for my previous shuffle.

So first pair were on the rear for 14800 miles then on front for 9800 miles now back on rear.
Tread depth inside, middle, outside is : 4.5 : 5.0 : 6.0mm

Second pair on front for 8200 miles then on back for 9800 miles now back on front.
Tread depth inside, middle, outside is: 5.0 : 5.5 : 6.0mm
These tyres were misaligned for 2500 miles so cost a bit of thread.
I also think I left the rears on too long as worn inside edge due to camber.

So doing well, as the tread gets shorter and stiffer different wear patterns are emerging like feathering across the tread on front axle. I think after 5 mm remaining the wear will accelerate. Happy with wear rate, and still performing well, only time, and miles will tell. I think road noise is a little higher, but that is the same with any tyre with a herring bone pattern.

235/55 r17 103V as a reminder & run the fronts at 35 not 32psi as is a very square tyre.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just mooching about looking at tyrereview website and via Goodyear website the Gen 3 4seasons is out.
Not looked if Kuga sizes are out yet, but those who are thinking (yes I know its summer- ish) should be some deals on the Gen 2's as stock got rid off.

Goodyear-Vector-4Seasons-Gen-2-and-Gen-3.jpg

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I would save your money. In winter we will be into our third our fourth lockdown with surges of covid19 and covid20. My advice would be to do your Christmas shopping now whilst online stores still have stock. Took me 4 weeks to find stock of toilet roll, hand wash and some hair clippers and about 5 weeks for branston beans. I was down to my last tin and saving it for a rainy day but it doesn't rain anymore now the planes don't fly.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Sounds about right smartguy.
I actually cant remember now when I last put diesel in the car?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Sounds about right smartguy.
I actually cant remember now when I last put diesel in the car?
I was being a little sarcastic but I can't honestly seeing us ever getting back to how we were previously until such time as we have a vaccine. I am optimistic about that too.u It took them 20years to produce one for AIDS. And if they found a vaccine tomorrow, how long before Joe Public gets it. I know they have one already but it will be a year before it's approved and then another year before everyone gets it. It will be interesting where those aged 67 and older will be in the queue.

·
Super Moderator
476 Posts
I was being a little sarcastic but I can't honestly seeing us ever getting back to how we were previously until such time as we have a vaccine. I am optimistic about that too.u It took them 20years to produce one for AIDS. And if they found a vaccine tomorrow, how long before Joe Public gets it. I know they have one already but it will be a year before it's approved and then another year before everyone gets it. It will be interesting where those aged 67 and older will be in the queue.
There's no AIDS vaccine, just loads of medications that work...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Social distancing - the 2 metre rule stops all sorts : AIDS, HIV, pregnancies',
Also recently Kuga owners are socially distancing themselves from the diesel / petrol pump!

I reckon a few on here have been pampering their Kuga during lockdown.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Still use the kuga everyday for work,,diesel at Sainsbury’s by me is down to £1.04,and I filled up the day before at £1.08,lol

Ross

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It seems countries can't agree on the social distancing distance.
I see you have 2 metres in the uk, whereas we have 1.5 metres, and we don't have any active covid 19 cases in South Australia.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
@mad skiier Have you seen the price of the Gen 3, for goodness sake. £100 more than the Gen2

Still debating whether to go all season but I do like the idea of separate winters.
Was in Anglesey back end of March and a guy parked next to me in a Jeep, he was a professor, his registration gave it away, but he had 4 seasons fitted to the Jeep. Asked him how he found them in snow (his Jeep was a little dirty so looked slightly aged) he said he didnt know, his Jeep was only 4 month old and came with them fitted.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not looked or daren't! Just hi lighting they exist & Goodyear will have a few Gen2's to shift.

Usually the case mega bucks to start off with, then when the mould paid for or market share drops the price drops. The michey cross climates were the same when they first came out.
I have seen a good few Peugeot hire cars with both the Michey and Goodyear versions from factory.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Just looked on mytyres.co.uk. Goodyear 4 season Gen3 235/55 R17 103Y Extra load £125 each (when 4 req)

I know they will add fitting etc,. My Gen2's were £145 fitted, valves etc with a bit of banter.

99H rated same size come in at £138
And I know cross thread the SUV marked ones £141. (So my maths: a SUV tyre costs £5.33 per letter!)

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I looked on Mytyres too and for 19", phew.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Haha winter tyres in spring, love it. Could still snow, ya never know.

Having said that, I’m still undecided on what to fit later this year. But for the mo........

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It seems countries can't agree on the social distancing distance.
I see you have 2 metres in the uk, whereas we have 1.5 metres, and we don't have any active covid 19 cases in South Australia.
That will be because Australia and New Zealand decided to use some common sense and made sure you didn't do what the UK did and possibly did do what the UK should have done. And/or you did what needed to be done earlier. The way our government have handled the coronavirus issues is a total embarrassment and we have the worst death figures in Europe. We even have Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland doing different things as they don't agree with what the "English" government is implementing.

Up and until recently the government would show a slide comparing us to Italy, France and Spain where the deaths were more and we were running about 2 weeks behind Italy and now we have more deaths than Italy they no longer show the slide and the government's chief medical officer states that comparitives to other countries are no longer relevant. But then last week it was said that children could go back to school for years 1 and years 6 on 1st June. Year 6 for those of you who don't live in the UK is the last year of primary school before they go to senior school. Our politicians then made references to Denmark. Yet the week before the government said comparitives to other countries in Europe was not relevant. Denmark has less than 600 coronavirus deaths. We are approaching 40,000. Hardly a like for like comparison is it.

Our country still has not instructed quarantine for people coming to the UK which will not happen until 8th June. To date more than 18 million people have come to the UK since our first reported case of ccoronavirus. Hardly any of these people have been quarantined. Is it any wonder our figures are so bad. It is not like we didn't know what was coming or how to deal with it. Our shortage of PPE was an embarrassment.

Last week our lockdown was eased. People can go to work, use public transport, visit a garden centre, go to the beach or park all with social distancing, yet we are not allowed to have our grandchildren come and visit. A week on Monday our four year old grandchildren can go back to school and be seen by their teachers and mentors yet they cannot come and see their grandparents. On the plus side we have football teams who are having some coronavirus test results confirmed so they can start training. There are talks about football and horse racing starting again soon but no talks of grandparents being allowed to see their grandchildren.

I could go on and on and no doubt have already but for those members who live in countries other than England that are coping well with coronavirus, then you need to thank your government's for doing a good job. Sadly, apart from the government's furlough scheme, I think we just have not done enough and what we have done we did too late.

On the subject of winter tyres I stick with my original comment and the best thing you can do in winter if the weather is bad is what we should all be doing now.....Stay safe and Stay at Home.

161 - 180 of 187 Posts