Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Daz, if your a regular to Austria, wasnt it only three or so years ago 2015 that in the Zell am See Kaprun area anyway, they removed the small infill snow makers and installed massive permanent machines because they were seeing reduced snow fall. We were there June 2016 and there was still snow up onKitzsteinhorn.

But it seems they are getting plenty at the moment.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Getting plenty, think the wide fat boy skis are coming out.

(You watch, floods in spring thaw)

As for the polar vortex due in the UK: I am prepared, in order:

1)Beer in garage,
2)wood & coal for fire,
3)snow tyres on Kuga to get more of items 1 & 2!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Met office 30 day forecast:
Outlook for the UK over the next 6-30 days
UK Outlook for Tuesday 15 Jan 2019 to Thursday 24 Jan 2019:
Cloudy, breezy and mild on Tuesday with rain becoming more persistent in the northwest, before spreading to all areas overnight. Following this, Wednesday will see a colder day with sunny spells and wintry showers in the north, where winds will be strong and blustery with a risk of gales. Thereafter, it is likely to remain unsettled with further showers or longer spells of rain and a risk of snow over northern hills, but occasionally to lower levels here too. The best of any drier and brighter weather will be across the south and southeast. Temperatures will be close to average at first, but brief milder spells are still possible. Despite this, it is likely to turn colder towards the end of this period with more widespread frost.
UK Outlook for Friday 25 Jan 2019 to Friday 8 Feb 2019:
During the last week of January and into early February, there is an increased likelihood of cold weather becoming established across all of the UK. This would bring an enhanced risk of snow and more widespread frost, particularly across northern parts. However, there is uncertainty over the extent of the cold weather and it is still possible that some milder and wetter interludes will intersperse this generally cold period, especially in the south.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Had the chance to try out my Nokian WR A4 tyres last night here in South Wales. A big difference to the original Continentals, felt much more secure on the Nokian's.
I've made a video but the quality is very poor I'm sorry. My rubbish iPhone which ill never buy again filmed it vertically so had to convert it horizontally. Took me hours just to get this video as it kept crashing my pc when rendering.
I suggest you watch it on a small screen like your phone.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Good arnt they..... I bet your still smiling?

·
Registered
354 Posts
ARRRGGGHHHH, still waiting for some snow here, we had a little last night that stuck on the car but roads were clear this morning so still not tried mine in the snow!!! I am jealous

Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
Last year when we had the Beast from the East & because I've got AWD I thought if someone asks for a lift somewhere id help out as long as it didn't include going down any steep hills. The reason being is I was a little worried with the Continentals stopping ability.
Well this year now having tried the Nokian's & full of confidence I feel as if the Kuga could tackle anything thrown at it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Its here... Been playing already, Mainly slushy so far, but coming down fast.

Boy do the tyres work, just grip and grip.

Will wait until a little deeper then have another 'playout'

·
Registered
459 Posts
Birmingham due to get a dose of the white stuff Thursday.

(If the BBC weather of fairy tales is correct)

Added picture of todays earlier 'play out'.

The AWD & tyres work well, and I did try hard.

(Ask me again when all this slushy stuff freezes overnight)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Whoops, no winters.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Is my decision not to buy winter wheels and tyres going to work out. I’d like them but the wife says NOooooooooo!

·
Registered
266 Posts
So found some vredestein quadtrac5 for £123 a corner, tempted

Or the Nokian WR A4 but they're £147

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
The Vredestine Q5 are supposed to be a good all season, my daughter has them on her Fiesta since last November, seem to wear quite well (and she does some miles). Last winter wasn't that bad up here so no real test in snow, but the snipes in the Quadtrac 5 look like they will mean business in snow. The WR A4 is a Winter tyre of course.

I have the earlier WR D3's which are distinctly different to the A4 but the nice herring bone pattern is there on both.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Had Nokians on prev Freelander but with two sets of alloys. Does that mean the all season would be a better choice ? Just want something slightly more reassuring than the stock conti's. Having said that we've had no snow since I got rid of Freelander

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
I guess some would still argue Allseason are a compromise and would suggest having a separate set and some one here have experienced the use of All season and would probably say that's the way to go and I might have done the later, but with a new 2013 Kuga delivered in January 2014 with new tyres on I opted for a separate set of steel wheels (bought even before the Kuga arrived) and I have the space to store them.

Looking at the Mich cross climate and the Goodyear four seasons which have the distinct herringbone pattern (which I buy into due to the success of my Nokian D3s) then its probably worth a punt, just need to see results of summer use, the crossclimate seem a soft tyre which are easily damaged, Mad skier on her is the guy with the Goodyear's which seem to be holding up.

Worth noting too, that the Vredestien Q5 is an asymmetric tyre so cane be swapped any side of the car, the Nokians, Michelin's and Goodyear are directional so can only be swapped front to rear.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I've got 400 miles to do as I think 35,000 is a nice round number to do a tyre reshuffle and will report in. So like Christmas, you just have to wait!..

The micheys cross climate (May be version 1 I must admit) are fitted to North West Ambulance Skoda Octavia's.

My mate called round once in said RRV and they were chewed up, but they would be racing to help the greats of Liverpool.

Of course there is a compromise between all seasons and full blown winters, then don't expect full summer performance, close but not full.

I must say not noticed any difference in summer grippage, I think they are doing well.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts