Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
When doing your costing remember your summer tyres will last much longer because they don’t get worn whilst off the car.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Indeed so its a win win situation isn't it. Price is only like buying a spare set of summer tyres and your not wearing them down with wheel spin on tarmac with no traction in snow.

·
Registered
521 Posts
... and if you go with smaller winter wheels, then 17” winter rubber for half the year is cheaper than 19” summer rubber, so win win win.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
What out 16" wont fit later MK2.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I’m almost sure that minimum of 17” if electric handbrake is fitted to vehicle, to allow for caliper clearance

Reactions: Martin1977

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Yes it Ronnie, 17" is really the 'book' minimum on all MK2's though it appears 16" will fit on other than Electric PB handbrake models you've stated.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Unfortunately my computer blew up when the thread started. I have 17in rims, 235/55.

When I bought the car had 3 x Michey Lattitude and a cheap landsail on the rear corner.

After a bad puncture on the best tread michey (GRR why does that happen?) decided to take the plunge of all season tyres.

So it was Michey cross climate vs Goodyear 4 season Gens 2.
NWAS (North West Ambulance Service - Liverpool for those overseas) have the cross climate fitted to their response vehicles, mainly Skoda Octavias. And what I've seen, these do rip up when pushed hard. I read all the reviews, and I think the Goodyears are a better tyre for normal England road use. - we get snow for 5 days.

So I had a pair fitted to the rear during summer and have been excellent. And I have found not bad off road.
In the next few weeks replacing the front with the same.

Also they have the snow flake icon, and after 5k mls just lost near 1mm as well.
The only thing I will say, due to tread pattern they do seem to collect small stones, gravel etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have a set of 4 marching Dunlop m3 winter tyres, 235 50 18 101v. Two have 7mm other two have 5/6 mm. Bought them for our own Kuga but against the will of the good lady, so to make peace, there are up for grabs. Ready after the 20th due to commitments. No damage or repairs. All pressure tested.

£350 ono, try me you may be surprised.

Phill

·
Registered
614 Posts
Has anyone seen the review of PART worn tyres?
I found it on my old computer and makes interesting reading.

All tyres: Summer vs Winter vs All season when new (8mm) Think it was 4 makes (g'year, Mich, Conti & a other)

Then they ground the tread down to 4 mm and redid the tests.

Then same again to 1 or 2 mm (Can't remember) and re did the tests.

I must search for it again and post.

The summer tyre to 1mm on snow was off the graph to stop on snow.

I'll have a look now.

·
Registered
614 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
That's a good review and gives us all a balanced perspective. Bear in mind that these tests will be extreme braking and cornering etc, and hopefully we will be driving with a little more care to warrant the difference between the worst and the best of a metre or so as only in extreme. Most road drivers I'm sure will be just happy to be able to make progress in snow. The review also seems to suggests from the 7th downwards that what appear to be asymmetric tyres (you can fit either side of the car when doing wheel rotation for wear) are worth avoiding, but surprisingly have high wear too.

The thing is, while they are showing that there is a pay-off for having all season tyres, depending on your mileage and driving conditions, amortise the cost of having both summer and winter wheels whether changing tyres or a set of wheels and for some the inconvenience of changing them and storing them (it takes me about half an hour to change my wheels once I've laid them out on the drive), the benefit is still plain to see if you want or need to drive snow so all season tyres do look like a good choice.

I suspect there will be a race on with tyres manufacturers to get the best tyre compound to respond to temperature to provide the suppleness required in winter and hardness in summer (if you've got continentals on your Kuga notice how noisy and harsh they are now we are seeing 8 degrees or less) and tyre wear down to the difference in tread pattern.

The following link seems to suggest the particular tyre in question has given good mileage but was it at a cost in 10 months.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Guys, are the "SUV" tyres really needed? Or can I safely go for "normal" tyres?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I asked the very same question at my tyre supplier.

The SUV tyre was the same size, same weight rating and same speed rating and the same tread pattern as the 'normal' listed tyre.

The difference was £20 in the price, but no body could tell me the difference. I also looked on the tyre manufactures website for a answer.

So if they are the same spec as the originals, I cant (and others) see any difference.

My replacements are 103 weight rated, originals 99.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have a set of four Dunlop winter m3 tyres. 235 50 r18 101 v. All have around me 7mm and have the m&s marking along with the mountain sign. No repairs or damage.
£300 ono. Pm if interested. Located in Wakefield.

I bought these to use but have had my ear bent by the lady wife, so There up for grabs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Today I ordered 4 Nokian WR A4 XL 235/45 R19 99V. Hope to have them fitted by the end of next week. Can't wait to see what they are like in the snow :)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Guys, are the "SUV" tyres really needed? Or can I safely go for "normal" tyres?

Just look for anything that meets the load/speed rating requirements. I've just bought some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres for mine- they meet the load rating but are not SUV specific.

(If you head off road regularly then something SUV specific would be worthwhile.)

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I think someone on here mentioned it was a strengthened sidewall possibly to reduce sidewall damage I guess when your likely to be travelling on rough trails. Maybe ideal for UK with sharp edged potholes.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think with the Continental range the SUV tag goes along with the "XL" (extra load) rated tyres.

Falken also have an "SUV" range in their newish FK512 range. It seems to be the same tyre, just made in the common SUV sizes. A marketing ploy IMHO. As long as you get the required load rating you'll be fine.

41 - 60 of 200 Posts