Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
On smartguy's manifesto. can he ban snow so we can stick to summer tyres all year round?

(except Austria & Canada please)

Reactions: smartguy69

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
On smartguy's manifesto. can he ban snow so we can stick to summer tyres all year round?

(except Austria & Canada please)
Apologies mad skiier. Perhaps I should put mad in front of my user name but I guess you are just mad for skiing. My sister lives in Austria and she loves the snow so I think you are safe. I don't think it was manifesto just a rant on what has been done or hasn't. Also wanted to ensure my post was long enough to create a new page.

I am ok now lol.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Smartguy69, i wasnt in anyway having a go, too right to unload. I like to do it myself but I find myself typing it out, prove reading it and posting it. Only to read it back on the site and a Martian could have done a better job.
And apologies to anyone offended that don’t like the idea of being called or tarred “a Geordie “ in lingo speech. Lol.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Smartguy69, i wasnt in anyway having a go, too right to unload. I like to do it myself but I find myself typing it out, prove reading it and posting it. Only to read it back on the site and a Martian could have done a better job.
And apologies to anyone offended that don’t like the idea of being called or tarred “a Geordie “ in lingo speech. Lol.
Haha, I never saw it as you having a go. Quite the opposite really. To put pen to paper, or finger to keypad, and have a rant means you care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Kuga being delivered this month, with summer tyre’s on.
But, my present car is a Berlingo XTR which I bought new in 2010 fitted with Michelin summer tyre’s, now as you may remember, the winter of 2010-11 was very nasty, freezing temperatures from the beginning of November almost until March, with a brief respite just before Christmas.
The Michelins were just downright dangerous, no traction, poor steering and the ABS was working overtime. I bought a set of steel rims and had them fitted with Kleber Quadraxers all season tyres, and what a difference! Straight away the car felt sure footed and safe to drive.
Since then I change from summer tyres to winter tyre’s from the start of November until the end of March.
I am used to driving in snow having driven trucks all over Europe from the Balkans to Scandinavia.

Now, back to the present. I’ve been scouring adverts from German car sales sites prior to buying my new ST, and there are an awful lot of cars fitted with Good-Year Vector 4 Seasons, and I believe they are a factory option in Germany, so my next set of new tyre’s will be those.

I just hope the next couple of winter’s won’t be too bad!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I hope you like, worms! Cos you’ve opened a right can there!
Cos there are so many, “shall I, shouldn’t I” fit winter tyres. I am one of them and I’m due to have four new boots by October and I won’t be going for winter tyres. Already been looking and can’t make my make my mind up.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yeah, Ull gets a right hammering from snow ❄, mind, those fish skins are slippery little cods (sods)

Bet that new Tiguan we had came thu Ull cos it stank of fish, got shut after 6 months, that’s another tail, but on the scale of things, well it was out of my depth really, guess I got kippered on that one!

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I guess the softer compound of winter tyres must have some effect on grip, but is that because the road surface digs into a softer rubber in winter than a harder summer tyre in winter and the snow grip is down to the tread pattern. Nokian WD (Winter) and Goodyear 4 Season, Michelin CrossClimate (no doubt others too) have a similar herringbone tread which seems to work well from my experiance (with the Nokians) when we have snow of course. Noticed that Dacia and Jeep are fitting all season from new.

Without all the waffle, your all wheel drive just all wheel drives with winter tyres. If you need to progress in winter weather its a no contest.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If you search around a bit, you'll find out that newer all-seasons are indeed all-year-around tires. So if you need to drive on some -mild- snow, go up to the ski resort and generally do a bit of snow-driving, then all-seasons are more than enough. If you live in Canada or Alaska or Sweden, then you need snow tires, no way around it

·
Registered
614 Posts
The Ace beat me to it. In the UK we tend to have a week (or 2) of panic then slushy stuff with a few frosts.
Summer tyres go shiny on frosty motorways, so the grip must drop right off in dry cold for starters.

In Italy, Austria & Froggy areas of the Alps they have snow and cold for weeks on end, so full winters I would say.

I have also noticed the 4 seasons are creeping into the OEM market (Peugeot for one)

Just to let another worm out of the tyre 'tin', the 4 seasons (and winters for that matter) with their tread pattern are better than summers on any mild off roading you might do. I go up a few tracks and wet sandy paddocks. I would say bit a bit dodgy with conti 5's on.

Reactions: Man of Kent

·
Registered
614 Posts
I am due to do a load of miles in the Kuga during July, we are having a sweep at around 2600+ miles.
Same route, so be a good mpg test & tyre wear test. The G'years are getting close to 5mm.

(For those who don't know, to be a classed as a snow tyre they have a mountain snowflake icon on. They also have a 2nd depth marker at 4mm, once this point reached, in most countries are NOT classed as snow tyres. Germany, Austria etc)

·
Registered
5 Posts
All season tyre’s are a good all round option I agree but it also comes down to your style of driving, I’ve seen people with winter tyres on screaming the guts out of the car and wondering why it’s sliding all over the place in snow!
A lot of people come under the impression that because they have fitted winter or all season tyre’s they can drive the same as they do in the middle of summer!

I drove to Sweden every week for seven years with the truck and in Scandinavia it is compulsory to fit winter tyres on vehicles, and depending where you live and the severity of the weather a lot of people run studded tyres (you can certainly hear them coming on dry, snow free roads lol).

But, with climate change and the milder winter’s we now seem to be having I still think all season’s are the way to go, just in case there is a sudden cold snap, and it’s better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.
And it will save me swapping wheels around every November.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Falken do a all season tyre Falken Euroall season AS210 which the tread is similar to the Goodyear 4 season and Michelin crossclimates ,,I’m sticking to my crossclimates,had a set put on the front in December 2018,, ( had Michelin latitudes on when bought)changed them to the back in December 2019 when I got crossclimates for the front,,still going strong,will be fitting Michelin’s again when these go.

Ross

181 - 200 of 200 Posts