Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six weeks in with my 2.0 lt 180 bhp AWD Titanium, and I'm wondering about winter tyres.

Factory fit tyres are Michelin Latitudes, marked M&S (mud and snow I understand) but without the little mountain and snowflake logo which I understand would make them proper winter boots.

So how much better would a proper set of winter tyres make my motoring? A set of alloys plus winter tyres looks to be about £1000, so no little investment, but I'm happy to stump up the cash if it'll make a significant difference.

For what its worth, we live in Shropshire, on a country lane, about a mile from the nearest proper road, so need to be able to cope with untreated surfaces to get anywhere!

Anyone got direct experience of moving from M&S tyres to M&S plus mountain/snowflake ones??

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
The latitude comes in various guises, but if its a winter tyre it cant be worse than summer. A neighbour has a Freelander on Wranglers , supposedly M+S but no snow flake and I see he struggles in our estate, made me think that where there is a predominant radial groove as most summer tyres have, they are not as good as those that have not.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a set of steel rims with Nokian winters fitted so we could legally drive to Germany. (Note that the rules governing winter tyre markings have changed in Germany and you now require an 'Alpine' mark on suitable tyres...).
Getting old and not wanting the 'faff' of changing wheels twice a year I sold them last year (and what winter did we have!!!).
My original Contis are getting to their end so will be fitting a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde all seasons early next month (quoted price £125 each fitted).
If we get snow like last year it could be fun.......

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Mm I wonder how well they perform in snow, I cant see that they will, they are almost like a summer tyre. Nothing like your Nokian's for sure

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
For winter driving I use Pirelli Sottozero 235/45/r19 99v tyres fitted on alloy rims.
My home driveway is a steep up-gradient and around me all roads are uphill (and downhill).
The AWD along with winter tyres provides traction/grip in difficult conditions. Other vehicle remained stranded.
I kept moving without any difficulty.
In my costings I offset the cost of the insurance excess in the event of a collision against the cost of the tyres.
My wife surprises other drivers with the control of the car she has compared with others on the school/work run.
Great tyres - money well spent.
In the summer I use Continental ordinary tyres as fitted originally.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
In my costings I offset the cost of the insurance excess in the event of a collision against the cost of the tyres.

The same here- I view tyres as part of my insurance against an accident, so won't buy just any tyre. Being able to pull up a few metres quicker could literally save your life.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Its the almost certainty of the removal of being stuck that I decided to fit winter tyres to my fist Kuga, as I was travelling a 172 mile journey every day which became 20,000 a year for almost 3 years. Even though I'm not travelling those miles now, the good half hour taken to fit or remove the winter wheels bares into insignificance to the hours I could still find myself stuck in traffic slip sliding up even the modest gradient.

Oddly enough I never thought of the insurance excess (and I should have, I guess I would if I'd succumbed to a bump), just the inconvenience of not moving in traffic and the advantage of bing in control of the car.

Just wish I'd fitted them to cars prior to the Kuga.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Probably works out cheaper to buy a set of 17" steel rims with winter wheels complete than buy 19" Winter tyres and have to have them changed spring and winter.

Plethora of tyres available of course. Nokian's on mine.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A friend of mine has just changed his Kuga to a newer tit x. He made sure it had 18” rims has he has a set of winter tyres.
When he bought his first Kuga on my recommendation, he wasn’t a happy chippy as when the snow came in the high parts of Yorkshire, it wouldn’t grip.

So he bought some winter tyres, a brand I can’t recall and he swears that his Kuga will go anywhere.

I’d like some but for the few days we have snow like we did earlier this year, I can stay at home (retired). However it’s not all about snow it’s about generally cold and slippery road surfaces.

I May have a look, but just having bought a 11 month old vignale, the dearest may have that nasty wife look about her, you know the one, it cuts you in half!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought my first (2nd hand) Kuga in feb this year, and was shocked how bad it was when it snowed...combination of summer treads and low profiles I guess. Where I am we can get several weeks of ice/snow...so, what to do ?

Buy all season or winter tyres only to fit my 19" rims...costs £150-£225 per corner (brief glance)

or buy some 17" alloys with the winter tyres to go with them...

It means storing 4 wheels over the winter..checking the pressure etc.

i actually know nothing about winter/all season tyres and types etc...all I know is I can't go around with existing tyres this winter..

any advice welcomed.. thanks

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Yes I think its teh extra weight that makes tehn Kuga a little livelier in snow, though I've not experienced it as I bought my winters before I got the Kuga and after 3000 miles from new I put them on.

Its cheaper and possibly more practical to buy a set of winter wheel complete, yes you have to store them, there are tyre storing devices on wheels that may assist. I have mine hung on the garage wall.

Someone who has just gone through the process may post up a comment.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I change to winter tyres every year, my local tyre service does it for £35, that's £70 per year to change.
I've sourced part worn winter tyres from e bay, last purchase was 2 Nokien WR4s for £85, 7mm tread. Got them in the summer when they sell them cheaper, phoned supplier to check that there was no repairs or sidewall damage.
You will be amazed at the difference they make in winter driving.
When I had my Focus I had a spare set of steel rims, but the problem with the Kuga is the TPMS system.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I change to winter tyres every year, my local tyre service does it for £35, that's £70 per year to change.
I've sourced part worn winter tyres from e bay, last purchase was 2 Nokien WR4s for £85, 7mm tread. Got them in the summer when they sell them cheaper, phoned supplier to check that there was no repairs or sidewall damage.
You will be amazed at the difference they make in winter driving.
When I had my Focus I had a spare set of steel rims, but the problem with the Kuga is the TPMS system.

Is it best to just fit them to existing 19" rims do you think...don't fancy forking out for a set of alloys as well as a set of winter tyres...Did you look at All season tyres at all ?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Is it best to just fit them to existing 19" rims do you think...don't fancy forking out for a set of alloys as well as a set of winter tyres...Did you look at All season tyres at all ?

Get them on 17" Steel rims, will be cheaper than putting 19" winters on your alloys.

If you don't want the swapping, go for all season tyres, Goodyear four season are in 19" for the Kuga but pricey.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Get them on 17" Steel rims, will be cheaper than putting 19" winters on your alloys.

If you don't want the swapping, go for all season tyres, Goodyear four season are in 19" for the Kuga but pricey.

£250 for for 4 17" rims, £588 for Goodyear winters and £138for the TPMS valves ? ...too much for me, cheaper to buy 19" winters or All season tyres and just swap 'em over ...Gripmax do an all season set for £560, ...I need to do me searching I guess

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Does your 2014 have TPMS Valves. My 163PS was November 2013 build and used ABS for Tyre deflation monitoring.

Yes around £800 for 17" with Nokians with TPMS.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Apart from this year our summers are pretty poor so wouldn't mind leaving them on all year round. So what winter tyres would you guys recommend for the 19inch ?

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Michelin Crossclimate or GoodYear 4 season are all year, but Vredestein do some too. Nokian dont do their Allweather in a 19" unfortunately.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts