Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
It definitely different to heating oil as it has a different "second" rating. I am 99% certain cherry is the same as road going diesel without the additives and red dye added. I will ask my mate as he used to work for a fuel company.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Red diesel is a fuel used to run 'off road' vehicles, particularly tractors and other agricultural vehicles. Although it is essentially the same as standard road diesel – known as white diesel – it attracts around 40% less fuel duty, meaning it is significantly cheaper to buy.4 May 2018

https://www.rix.co.uk › 2018/11 › t...
The Dos and Don'ts of Red Diesel | Rix Petroleum

·
Registered
762 Posts
What colour does it change to if you use AdBlue (no in a Kuga obviously)? Purple diesel?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Red diesel is a fuel used to run 'off road' vehicles, particularly tractors and other agricultural vehicles...................it attracts around 40% less fuel duty
Which probably means using "Off Road" vehicles on the road for extended distances of over 10 miles is probably illegal then?

Where I live, you can be stuck behind a tractor for 10+ miles each way as they trundle back and forth between two farms.

It's been said that to diversify a local farm hires out his tractor/driver to move "produce" around for other farms/businesses.

Surely, if using good old Red Diesel whilst "trundling", that would be illegal, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Adblue is mixed in the exhaust I believe.
but adblue is clear so it’s still red. Pmsl.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Unfortunately it depends on how the vehicle is registered BUT before you re reg the kuga as a tractor it’s also it’s designed purpose.
All farmers are poor as well!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wife made me a farmer the other day.
she kicked me in nads and gave me a couple of acres.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Red diesel is a fuel used to run 'off road' vehicles, particularly tractors and other agricultural vehicles. Although it is essentially the same as standard road diesel – known as white diesel – it attracts around 40% less fuel duty, meaning it is significantly cheaper to buy.4 May 2018
View attachment 3111
https://www.rix.co.uk › 2018/11 › t...
The Dos and Don'ts of Red Diesel | Rix Petroleum
Ha, I just "red" the very same thing from Rix. Didn't know tractors can only go 1.5km on the road. I bet they go further and use red.

·
Registered
840 Posts
What colour does it change to if you use AdBlue (no in a Kuga obviously)? Purple diesel?
It funny you should say that. Years ago I used to have my own truck business, years before all of us had heard about DPF. We bought this truck that had two fuel tanks and the small one had a small leak so had it taken off to get repaired. The fuel that came out of it was a blue / purple in colour so my guess the previous owner had been running red diesel in that tank possibly mixed with who knows what.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Agricultural law is a mine FIELD.
you just can’t burrow your head away

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If you got arrested you’d get “bailed”

rubbish I know.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It's about time someone invented an engine that would run on something else that can be extracted easily. I used to work for an engineering company and bought all sorts of different gases to do with the welding we did and it suddenly dawned on me that for most of the products we bought, the raw material to provide the gases was free as it it's extracted from the air we breathe and some of the gases were dirt cheap. Most of them were inert though so perhaps not suitable for an engine but if some clever sole could find a way to compress it and make it explode, as happens with diesel, then who knows what the future holds.

No doubt we will invent such a thing, sell it for peanuts, and then get exploited when it's sold back to us.

·
Registered
360 Posts
As a user (marine) of red diesel, it's a high sulphur heating oil (35 sec as I recall). The Leisure marine world is all over the place because the UK has failed to comply with an EU directive from about 2008 to remove marked fuels from leisure sale. In the "good old days" we used to pay something like 70p a litre, but HMG fudge was to charge check ukfull fuel tax on leisure red fuel, so I now pay prices north of £1.50 per litre, for a fuel that's likely to be highly contaminated due to low throughput of fuel in marinas.

What's worse is that Belgium started about 3years ago to enforce the EU legislation, and check visiting yachts for dyed fuel, and "arresting" the vessel and fining over €1,000. One couple we met back here hadn't used red fuel for over 3 years (they only had a 15hp single cyl) having taken cans aboard were done, said that they would go to court to argue their case that the dye is very persistent (not visible but detectable ), but were told that their passports would be impounded along with the vessel...

Now you've got me started..

·
Registered
522 Posts
Cherryade, Vimto, call it what you want...

Most say its the same as white with dye in..
It has no anti foam in, so it foams all over the place.
HDI engines don't like it, as the mega fuel pressure does something.
Tends to freeze quicker - so no antifreeze in. (white: UK about -10)

White also contains 10%? bio fuel.

And worst of all.. Gives me dermatitis at the sight of it. (But white doesn't?)

DEVILS FUEL.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I may have said it doesn't have the vitamins in it that white does to keep the engine healthy. Thought there may be some clever chemist out there who could take a cheap fuel like kerosene or paraffin, both of which are similar to diesel, and then add a few things to make it work and keep the colour right. No doubt we have some law somewhere that says we MUST only use a road going fuel that has had some form of duty added to it. Tax all pleasures well is a must for our government. Remember take away food is a luxury so must have VAT and also if a sausage roll or pasty is hot it also applies but cold is ok or are we still waiting for the outcome from the EU. Time for a new party to emerge I think and do away with the posh boys that hide under both conservative and labour. Time for the KUGA party to emerge lol. A few things for the manifesto.

Remove powers of local councils that were implemented by labour
Reduce fuel duty
Increase motorway speed limits to that of Europe with monitors for traffic so can reduce limit when busy
Regulate all prices so consumers cannot be ripped off.
Take back our gas from the French
Nationalise electricity and other utilities and make non profit making to benefit the consumer
Take back our lottery from the Canadians - apologies to any Canadian teachers who have a Kuga
Stop Sky from increasing its prices each year to subsidise footballers wages
Give free heating to the elderly
Stop inheritance tax
Make funerals free
All mobile greed camera vans to be scrapped with roads that have speed issues to be fitted with average speed cameras
Enforce cyclists to use a cycle lane if there is one available
Get to the bottom of Ripperoo's MPG issue
Find someone who can actually agree a deal with Europe or forget about the whole thing altogether. For you guys who live outside of the UK you must be laughing at the way our government has handled this.

All very tongue in cheek of course.

Psshaw - could be a starter for ten for your Sunday thread starter.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Kuga Party .. Hmmm.
Going to Canada soon .. will tackle them about that one..
Make Ripperoo's MPG the 1st topic of the new PMQ's!
Sky TV ? Not for us, we go to a non TV pub & talk to each other. Last world cup was ACE!
As for the French.... Am I on the Barley wine or need them blood pressure tablets?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts