Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

Diesel leaking out drain pipe in enginebay

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ross J 
#1 ·
2011 2.0 TDCi kuga.
Recently noticed the smell of diesel and quickly found a black tube dumping diesel out onto the ground. (Tube is hanging down infront of the engine, above the intercooler pipe).
Traced the tube up to the top of the engine where the fuel-rail and injectors are located.
Upon opening to inspect, I was met with the little plastic tub the fuel-rail and injectors are located in, filled with diesel.

I tried cleaning it out as best i could without any disassembly and then started the engine, but didnt see any visible leaks.
I also checked to see no fittings were loose.
After having used the car to work and back today, the "tub" is back to the level it was (quite full) and the diesel keeps getting dumped out the drain-tube.

I put a tub under the drainpipe when i parked today, and within 4-5 hours the tub had collected about 0.7 liters of diesel that had been dumped.
I expected it to be a leak from the high-pressured fuelrail, and that the leaking would slow down as the car had stood still and the pressure in the system had leaked out, but no. It seems to just keep coming.

The diesel draining out does not come out as droplets, but gets dumped out at somewhat regular intervals. When it gets dumped I can hear a small valve or tiny pump or something of that sort activating as the diesel dumps out.

Also; i cant see the drain-tube within the "fuel-rail tub", it seems to be draining from somewhere just below the tub, and yet, the level of diesel within the fuel-rail tub never seem to go down despite constant draining.

Any ideas what this could be?
Why does the leak not reduce as the car has been parked for hours?
Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#5 ·
2011 2.0 TDCi kuga.
[...]
Traced the tube up to the top of the engine where the fuel-rail and injectors are located.
Upon opening to inspect, I was met with the little plastic tub the fuel-rail and injectors are located in, filled with diesel.
[...]
That's bad, very bad, you'd fix that asap it should be bone dry that tub not filled with fuel, no way!

Either the low pressure return pipes are leaking or broken (a black plastic tube with 5x green plugs that goes from one injector to the next and ends at the high pressure pump) or a high pressure line is leaking (retighten, some must be loose) or the pressure sensor is leaking (right in the middle of the common rail).

Your car is going to catch fire if you don't fix that.

#7 ·
@andy.farnden why not introduce yourself in the new members section first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.