Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some time now, i'm just not satisfied with the 182 horses. I was thinking of doing an engine swap for something more powerful but I'm not sure.

anyone have any recommendations ?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Try superchips or something similar to get more power,or as Murcod suggested.

Ross.

·
Registered
321 Posts
For some time now, i'm just not satisfied with the 182 horses. I was thinking of doing an engine swap for something more powerful but I'm not sure.

That's the exact reason I went for the mk1 2.5T petrol engine... 285bhp (ish) and a ton of torque make it a real sleeper of a car and brilliant fun to drive...... KUGA 2.5T Adventure

·
Registered
777 Posts
I think that remapping the 1.5T won't get you very far, or rather it will only get you so far as to still be wanting more power. Custom tuning usually weilds something close to 220HP, which is probably the most you can get out of a Stage1 tune. Going the Stg2 or Stg3 route and starting "upgrading" parts, internals and remaps is a bullet-proof way to waste your money and STILL not get where you want to be.

On the other hand, an engine swap -if at all possible- is another option to waste your money, and probably end up with a car that's lost tons of its value, hopefully works, and maybe perform as you'd like. A 2.5T swap may be feasible, but I haven't seen or heard of anyone actually doing it. Not what I would choose to do.

The only other viable option is to trade it in. In the price range of the Kuga, the fastest you can get is probably a 1.5 VAG equivalent, such as the Ateca, Tiguan or the Karoq. The fastest of the lot is the Suzuki SX4 Cross with the 1.4T, but its looks is not everyone's cup of tea...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have a look at a 240PS bi-turbo diesel Tiguan if want decent performance. Far less hassle than an engine swap.
How about the RS 2.3 Ecoboost nofitted to the new Focus ST? It would requite a lot of changes though but would fit as it's already been done in the new Focus ST and old RS. A scrapped car would be ideal...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
The 2.0l EcoBoost engine like we get in Australian models would be the answer if an engine swap was chosen. It's basically the Focus ST engine. Plenty of power and much more torque.

·
Registered
192 Posts
An engine swap would be a waste of money and devalue the future value of the car come selling. It is cheaper in the long run to buy a car with more bhp as standard rather than spending thousands on fitting a new engine, engine loom and all the other ancilleries. If you need space like an estate, I would look at an Octavia VRS TSI as they have plenty of power and a big boot to match. Plus they are relatively cheap to buy now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
But it's not a Ford though! ;@) I have only ever owned Fords. I just wish they would make a Fast Kuga again like they have done for the Focus and Fiesta. Mine is OK now with a filter and Bluefin but there is no substitute for cubic inches such as the 2.3 Ecoboost. The technology is already out there in the new Focus ST! ;@(

·
Registered
777 Posts
Weird thing is, there are fast(er) versions of almost every Ford (from Fiesta to Edge), namely the ST variants, except for the Kuga (and Ecosport, but that doesn't count :p ).

And personally I would really, really, REALLY like a Kuga ST ;)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sadly I don't think Ford would invest in creating one. There are so many fast SUVs out there they would have to make one pretty special to be able to market it. I would love a 2.3 EcoBoost 340bhp AWD Kuga.
I have owned 4 Skodas, all being VRS and all have been excellent cars. They are built better than Fords and feel more solid to drive I love my Kuga but I am looking at switching back to an Octavia VRS estate as we have a 9 month old daughter and I need a large boot to put the push chair in etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts

buy a sports car. other than that remap and loose some weight, lighter wheels and tyres.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I've fitted lighter wheels and tyres. You're not going to notice any difference apart from your bank balance being depleted. You'd be better off getting the exhaust and an aftermarket tune done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts