Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered the 6year paint protection by the dealer prior to picking up my Kuga for a discounted price of £400 that also included the interior 'scotch guard'. As with previous cars I declined, as I did get caught out with this one about 8years ago on a car and the stuff they put on did the job but the £400 was alot of money. A quick search of ebay revealed a set of stage1/stage2 Diamondbrite and spray fabric protector delivered for £6.50.

I spent a good couple of hours last weekend washing the car and then applying the Diamondbrite kit and the results are amazing. The process is pretty simple in that you apply the stage1 which a clear liquid, wait for it to dull and then apply a nice coat of the stage2 (must be in straight lines or else you get swirl scratches in the paint) wait about 15 minutes and wipe off. To be honest if you start at the front and work your way round the car, by the time you have added all of the stage2 you can start to remove it from the panel you started on.

The results are amazing, the paint now has a nice glassy smooth finish and just shrugs off the dirt, when the car gets wet the water just slides off. The interior protection is excellant as well in that any liquid on the seats does not soak in it allows you just to wipe it off, which as I have children is a bonus.

Admittedly the job is time consuming as the Kuga is a big (ish) car and I got through almost all of the solutions and two cans of the fabric spray (I ordered two kits from the seller as the cost was about the same one kit fromothers) but the results are really good.

So if you are offered this protection from the dealer, save yourself a huge pile of money and do it yourself but just set aside a good couple of hours of time...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Very interesting. I was offered Diamondbrite yesterday for an additional £400 on an ex demo (and another additional £400 for some kind of insurance against depreciation!)

I have a Panther Black C-Max at the mo and paid for this paint protection for itfrom new, 3 years ago. It looked great for a few weeks but as with any black car, it still needed a regular polish to keep it looking tip top. So really not worth the money. Your advice is really useful.

Anyway, if it is such a fantastic product, shouldn't it be done at the factory and be part of the package?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree that Ford should put this on the paint at the factory, but I added it to a black MINI and as long as you wash with a good wash/wax fluid (halfords own is the best) then job done - no waxing.

I saw the first car that I paid the dealer for Diamondbrite three years after I sold it and it still looked very good.

For the sake of £6.50 it is worth it for the interior spray as belive me that works well, my youngest and a bottle of Fanta couldn't harm on a previous car.

Never pay the dealer for this as £400 is alot of money for something you can do yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks Cornish, I was considering this, I think a home & ebay job is the way forward. Always strikes me as a little annoying that your £multi hundred pound ADDITIONAL cost metallic paint still would/should need such a treatment. Ho Hum this is life, extras extras. Still £6.50 and a few hours hurts much less, ahhh.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

The ebay seller is:

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/krabysko_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

If you go for a buy-it-now wait and he sends you an invoice with free p+p.

I did go for two kits as to be honest if you do the fabric seats, boot, carpets etc. then one can of spray isn't enough. Also, I got through a whole set of the stage1/stage2 and wanted to make sure I didn't run out.

Washed the car after it's bounce to Cornwall on Sunday, all the flies just came off with the hose no real need to wash it - but I did anyway.

There is a seperate one for the leather but when I had leather in my CooperS I used the Meguires gold leather treatment - seemed as good.

When you spray the fabric stuff make sure you leave it overnight to dry as the can says 4 hours but best be safe. Also, get some of the microfibre cloths from Tesco's to remove the stuff when you finish as they seem to be better than cotton cloths. I wouldn't use them to put the stuff on as it doesn't seem to cover as well as with a cotton cloth, oh and allow more time than you think - takes ages...

cheers

cornish

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used Cornish's recommendation and got the Diamondbrite kit from the ebay seller he referred to in his post. Took about 3 hours in total which comprised, a wash, stage1 on, stage 2 on, stage 2 wax-off.
One word of warning though... to keep the diamondbrite loking good it is recommended you use the conserver in every wash.The ebay seller didn't list it so I asked him directly, he said yeah, £6.50 a bottle -justsend me the money using paypal - I did, nothing turned up, and nowseller seems to have fallen off the face of the earth - isn't selling anything on ebay anymore either it seems. - AVOID!!
Edited by: Wildyce

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so sorry - feel guilty now....

On the conserve stuff, I spoke to a valet guy years ago and he said that it is the same as car shampoo's with a wax in them and if you use a good one then it is fine.

I never added it to a VW we had and just washed it, looked fine for years.

I use the halfords own as it won all the autoexpress awards.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cornish, don't worry, not your fault, I did a transaction outside ebay - against all and my own advice and I work in IT security - doh!!

Still, I've got a diamondbrite'd car for £6.50 inside and out instead of £300. In terms of the conserver....my two previous cars were black like my Kuga and diamondbrite is especially good on the darker colours. I've always used the conserver and it is brilliant stuff, just add a couple of capfuls to a bucket of water, mop on with a sponge and then use a bucket of water to rinse off. Results are fantastic. - It also works as a good less abrasive t-cut substitute as well.

Although all effort goes to waste if you live in SUffolk like me where the hard water is a real pain - I used to live in the highlands and washing the car was always a joy.... Now I buy deionised water for the windscreen washers to avoid the dreaded white marks....

·
Registered
61 Posts
i also declined the diamonbrite treatment because after spending 18,000 on a new kuga, another £400 was just to much.
i ordered after a bit of research on the net the autoglym lifeshine kit from ebay. you also get the upholstery guard and glass cleaner as well as an additive for your screenwash tank.

i applied two coats of lifeshine one weekend then another weekend i applied two coats of autoglym super resin polish. then on another weekend i applieda coat of autoglym extra gloss protection which seals all of the previous coats. of course in between each weekends work i washed it with autoglym bodywork shampoo conditioner. it is in pristine condition and will not need waxing again unit the spring. two waxes a year with the resin polish and gloss protection will be plenty. and when i washed it this weekend i just used the shampoo and then after drying i used turtlewax ice detailing spray to just top up the shine. and WOW, it looks better than when i got it from the show room. i am not an ambasssador for autoglym but after all the research on the detailing world and autopia websites, there are a lot of car products around and some of them can be quite expensive. autoglym products are affordable and of you love your kugas as much as you say you do, then a little elbow grease is not too much and will give great satisfaction and results

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree - the prices dealers charge for Diamondbrite/Supagard/GardX are extortionate. Especially when you consider the kits are typically around £40 to buy. (there's not much labour involved either - application is no different to any "normal" polish)

I got acouple of Supagard kits off a valeter mate and set about it this weekend just gone. Am absolutely chuffed - the paint finish (SeaGrey) is like glass, and the fabric/carpet protector is great too.

If you can get hold of these kits it's well worth it - just don't pay dealer prices for it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I always wait til Ive done the deal then get them to throw it in for free. They wont let you walk away for the sake of some young lad spending 3 hrs adding the polish that they buy for peanuts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,

Just had my dealer on the phone suggest that I should pit Diamond Brite on my Kuga (when it arrives) - both interior and exterior.

However, having bought brand new cars previously (although not Fords) I don't recall anyone suggesting this or any other products.

Therefore my questions are:

- Anyone had it Diamond brite done (exterior and/or interior)
- How Much?
- Any good or waste of money?

I had planned to used AutoGlyM HD wax (and other related products, which should offer a similar level of protection - again anyone get an opinions on that ?
I'm not convinced that the DiamondBrite is worth the additional expense over a bit of time and good cleaning products, myself...

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had mine done. Cost about £170, in my experience it is well worth it as you do not only pay for the product and application but also the g'tee.

My son spilt milkshake on the back seat ofthe mrs57 plate toyota verso, they came out to remove the stain / smell and it did not work, they tried again a second time with no joy, then a new back seat fitted by toyota free of charge.

If you don't want to spend that much and not bothered about the g'tee, just but some super resin polish and a interior protection spray from halfords, it will do the same job.

Careful of the black / gray plastictrims on the car with SRP.
Edited by: markm

·
Registered
922 Posts
As an alternative... My car has been treated with 'GardX'. To be honest this was done at the dealership prior to my collection of the vehicle, Caffyns ex demo vehicle for free. The shine is unbeliveable and when the paintwork is wet the water beads of in pools of water which helps takes some of the dirt away with it, files and bugs also removed from the front and wing mirrors with little effort.
http://www.gardx.co.uk/index.php?page=other&parent=1&pid=3

Another product I have used and still useis the waterless 'Proshine' Spray & Shine'. This is where you spray the car with the product and rub over with a dry microfibre cloth and remove with another clean microfibre. I was unsure of this at first due to possibly rubbing grit and dirt into the paint work, but after watching a collegue doing this to his pride and joy I was amazed at the end results. Also helps to remove watermarks out of the paintwork when we the black owners have washed our cars in warmer weather in the sun.

I still love using the AutoGlym products mind you. The Kuga Pen is better stocked than Halfrauds from car cleaning products.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make sure you don't lose your Diamond Brite guarantee. I bought by Kuga 11 months old and the document for the treatment had gone missing between the car being part exchanged and sold to me. The dealer did not have copied and when I contacted Diamond Brite they told me they could only trace the documentation IF I had the guarantee number. Apparently supplying dealer, previous owner's name AND registration number wasn't enough. AS IF. A clear ploy to get out of any responsibility and get me to pay for another treatment (they said they'd send me details of how to do this). I declined (not altogether politely. You can also buy the application stuff on eBay, I'm told because often the valeter charged with applying the treatment doesn't do it and pockets the stuff to sell on.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
ihad the diamond brite treatment inside and out dealer wanted £250 offered him £150 there must be a lot of profit in it,i think it is a good idea as it gives extra protection for your paint work which is crap and gives a good finish

·
Registered
65 Posts
my dealer conned me out of 350quid for this. FFS

looks to be a good product but it angers me that the price you guys quote is so wildly different!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Dr nick,
I have even worse news then, I had done my deal signed all the paperwork and everything and cheekily asked my salesman a week before it arrivedif he could get the Diamond brite treatment done for freeand he said leave it with me....no promise or anything, and he got it done buck shee

I have to say however that this is about the only thing he got right as I had the worst hand over of a car I have ever had
, but not theKuga or Fords fault I should also add.

Slimus.

Edited by: Slimus

·
Registered
65 Posts
i think it all very well "doing it yourself" with stuff bought off ebay, but the package i'm having comes with loads of goodies and a gaurantee and stuff.

still not sure its worth the 350quid tho!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts