Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Kuga PHEV since end of March (but bought it last October had to wait for the 48v battery to be replaced) So for 2 months no issues, then 4 days ago at about 11pm the alarm went off, I opened the car door as normal but when I pushed the start button once to get just the ancillary mode I had loads of faults showing up on the dash, then the 12v battery went dead, nothing worked, at this point the 48v battery was at 84% waiting to start charging at 2 am, I had driven the car 6 hours before it happened. Not wanting to keep waking up the neighbors, I left it until the following morning then opened the bonnet and recharged the battery for 6 hours the charger said it was in maintenance mode at this point, after everything was normal, but since then I have had 2 occasions when the ford pass app has told me 'Sshh. Your Ford is in Deep Sleep ......' So to my question, what triggers the car to go into deep sleep.. is it low 12v battery or perhaps is it because I didn't drive the car for 2 days (although the car was left plugged in and the 48v battery is currently at 100% ) ?

I have the car booked in to get this issue fixed, but I'm curious to understand what triggers this sleep mode.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had my Kuga PHEV since end of March (but bought it last October had to wait for the 48v battery to be replaced) So for 2 months no issues, then 4 days ago at about 11pm the alarm went off, I opened the car door as normal but when I pushed the start button once to get just the ancillary mode I had loads of faults showing up on the dash, then the 12v battery went dead, nothing worked, at this point the 48v battery was at 84% waiting to start charging at 2 am, I had driven the car 6 hours before it happened. Not wanting to keep waking up the neighbors, I left it until the following morning then opened the bonnet and recharged the battery for 6 hours the charger said it was in maintenance mode at this point, after everything was normal, but since then I have had 2 occasions when the ford pass app has told me 'Sshh. Your Ford is in Deep Sleep ......' So to my question, what triggers the car to go into deep sleep.. is it low 12v battery or perhaps is it because I didn't drive the car for 2 days (although the car was left plugged in and the 48v battery is currently at 100% ) ?

I have the car booked in to get this issue fixed, but I'm curious to understand what triggers this sleep mode.
Hi mate
Got the same car and similar issue buying the car and having to wait until the battery was sorted.
Not had any issues as yet, but did not pick my car until mid April.Be interesting to here what other people’s thoughts are.
Please let us know what they say when it goes
To the garage.

·
Registered
Kuga ST- Line X PHEV
27 Posts
There were software updates after you collected your car, so hopefully when applied this will sort things out. Also it is possible that the 12v battery has suffered damage and needs to be replaced even if it passes a test on the Midtronics unit Ford dealers have. I would press for replacement battery for peace of mind under warranty. Mine was updated early April, which happened to occur after one issue surrounding the 12v battery was found.

My dealer and Ford Technical are in the middle of investigating the Deep Sleep issue that I keep getting even when the HV battery is fully charged. Ford Technical have now instructed the dealer to apply further updates to 3 modules following a Ford investigation on the issue, goes in on Thur for this. 🤞

I am puzzled by your reference to 48v battery. The mild hybrids (MHEV) have this battery, the PHEV has a 298 volt battery, normally referred to as the HV battery. 🙂

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry my mistake of coarse it’s the 298v hv battery not 48v, in my defence I’ve read so many posts here and elsewhere about Deep Sleep issues I got more confused than I ever wanted to be, my car is booked in tomorrow so I’ll update when I get some result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hope
Oh sorry my mistake of coarse it’s the 298v hv battery not 48v, in my defence I’ve read so many posts here and elsewhere about Deep Sleep issues I got more confused than I ever wanted to be, my car is booked in tomorrow so I’ll update when I get some result.

you get it sorted be interesting to know what they say or do for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Slightly off topic @NFFC ;as you purchased your Kuga In similar circumstance, regarding good will from Ford, did you opt for the £500 fuel card and did you get it yet? I’ve seen nothing! And did the 3 years free servicing get applied to your car, I am going to ask the garage this morning to check.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Morning Toshi
I did get offered the goodwill from Ford but opted for the charge box instalment. Had phone call from BG and wanted to pin me down for a date weeks away.I could not agree to exact date.Because of work commitments and my days been off all over the place.

I said I can make any day say after 5.30pm.To be told the engineers do not work until then, so how is this supposed to help the working man ?????

if it’s going to install these boxes, they need to have resources to meet the needs of the customer.As most families these days both adults work.

so was told they will get back to me, still waiting and no one to contact and email is a do not reply email.

advised garage to see if they can help to no evade, I did ask the question on a thread I did when first joined to see how others had got on.

regarding service I will check the service has been added to myrecords.
I hope all goes to plan, and they are able to diagnose what is going on with your car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my car back yesterday, all seams ok up to yet, I guess time will tell, they did several software updates including some that were apparently available when the hv battery was replaced, this despite the dealer assuring me that they would apply all updates before I took delivery of the vehicle add to this the fact that they promised it would be serviced ( no service details found on the Ford system ) oil life is now 25% so oil not change ether, the 3 year free servicing which according to the good will email from Ford CRC has not been applied / registered to the car and I didn’t get my £500 fuel card, all the responsibility of the dealership were I bought the car, they are not responding to my emails now, I am so pissed off with them. It seams my only option now is to drive the 100miles round trip to talk to them direct.
Does any one know what the process is by the dealer after I made him aware of my choice re fuel card etc, like is he supposed to send a form or something ???

·
Registered
Kuga ST- Line X PHEV
27 Posts
Dealer fills in your request on-line. If he has any doubt get him to speak to his Ford "area manager" on how to do this. My dealer showed me the screen when I collected my car.

The service plan does not need any further confirmation as such. If they do try to charge you then you'll have to pay then be Mr Angry to Ford CRC. I have heard one person who was refunded because the dealer was in error.

I have nothing other than the email from Ford stating service plan and other compensation, but then my dealer is switched on!

·
Registered
Kuga ST- Line X PHEV
27 Posts
Back to the Deep Sleep issue.

My car is in today following information I passed to my service manager a few weeks ago and a subsequent day in the garage last week where Ford Technical requested my dealer extract information from my car and pass to them for analysis.

Following this, Ford Technical have now instructed the dealer to update three modules with software updates to address the Deep Sleep issue. The car is in just now.

My 12v battery had been been replaced yet with a 100% charge I would get the message or it would appear at other times shortly after a drive but with no charging afterwards and still some % HV battery available.

The Deep Sleep Mode message, details from Ford.com website, should only occur if

1) the car is inactive for 14 days,
2) 12v battery drops below 9.5v or
3) in extreme cold/hot conditions.

None of these occured when I got the messages.

Let's see if these updates fix the message popping up when it should not. 🤞

·
Registered
29 Posts
Got my car back yesterday, all seams ok up to yet, I guess time will tell, they did several software updates including some that were apparently available when the hv battery was replaced, this despite the dealer assuring me that they would apply all updates before I took delivery of the vehicle add to this the fact that they promised it would be serviced ( no service details found on the Ford system ) oil life is now 25% so oil not change ether, the 3 year free servicing which according to the good will email from Ford CRC has not been applied / registered to the car and I didn’t get my £500 fuel card, all the responsibility of the dealership were I bought the car, they are not responding to my emails now, I am so pissed off with them. It seams my only option now is to drive the 100miles round trip to talk to them direct.
Does any one know what the process is by the dealer after I made him aware of my choice re fuel card etc, like is he supposed to send a form or something ???

sorry to here you are having such a frustrating time, I think it’s disgraceful that the dealership are not replying or acknowledging your email.I believe the dealership are supposed to advise Ford what we would like, as a goodwill gestur.Hope you get things sorted and look forward to hearing how you get on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Back to the Deep Sleep issue.

My car is in today following information I passed to my service manager a few weeks ago and a subsequent day in the garage last week where Ford Technical requested my dealer extract information from my car and pass to them for analysis.

Following this, Ford Technical have now instructed the dealer to update three modules with software updates to address the Deep Sleep issue. The car is in just now.

My 12v battery had been been replaced yet with a 100% charge I would get the message or it would appear at other times shortly after a drive but with no charging afterwards and still some % HV battery available.

The Deep Sleep Mode message, details from Ford.com website, should only occur if

1) the car is inactive for 14 days,
2) 12v battery drops below 9.5v or
3) in extreme cold/hot conditions.

None of these occured when I got the messages.

Let's see if these updates fix the message popping up when it should not. 🤞
thanks for the update, I hope things are now resolved now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealer fills in your request on-line. If he has any doubt get him to speak to his Ford "area manager" on how to do this. My dealer showed me the screen when I collected my car.

The service plan does not need any further confirmation as such. If they do try to charge you then you'll have to pay then be Mr Angry to Ford CRC. I have heard one person who was refunded because the dealer was in error.

I have nothing other than the email from Ford stating service plan and other compensation, but then my dealer is switched on!
@GordonM could I ask regarding "Dealer fills in your request on-line" did you opt for fuel card or wall box, I had a rare email from my Dealer who said he had been in contact with Ford Dealer Champion Team who advised him that the online form is only for filling out if a wall box or the charity donation is chosen otherwise the receipt of the fuel card should be automatic !
With regards to my flat battery, deep sleep and subsequent software update, the cars running fine the battery appears to be charging so the fix appears to have resolved the problems, hope you get the same result,

@NFFC did you get around to asking your dealer if the free 3year services had been added to (your) myrecords. ?

·
Registered
29 Posts
@GordonM could I ask regarding "Dealer fills in your request on-line" did you opt for fuel card or wall box, I had a rare email from my Dealer who said he had been in contact with Ford Dealer Champion Team who advised him that the online form is only for filling out if a wall box or the charity donation is chosen otherwise the receipt of the fuel card should be automatic !
With regards to my flat battery, deep sleep and subsequent software update, the cars running fine the battery appears to be charging so the fix appears to have resolved the problems, hope you get the same result,

@NFFC did you get around to asking your dealer if the free 3year services had been added to (your) myrecords. ?
sorry not got around to it yet, but will make a effort to chase it up this week 👍

1 - 14 of 14 Posts