Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Kuga St Line 1st Edition PHEV in Lucid Red
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice recently I have gone to my car ( 3months old) and found the whole car dead. Doors would not unlock and after using manual key the whole instrument cluster dead as the proverbial DoDo.
On the 1st occasion I called out Ford Assist (AA) and the patrolman managed to get under the bonnet and found that the 12v auxiliary battery was reading 4.1v. He connected a power pack and managed to get the car started. His diagnostic computer showed a number of faults - some he managed to clear but advised booking it into a Ford dealer to get it checked for software updates and to get car reset.. The car was booked in last week but after they had it for best part of the day phoned that they couldn’t look at it as their technician was off sick! - Apparently they only have 1 qualified to work on Plug in Hybrids !. Anyway After another week it went dead again - this time dropping to 4.3v. Meanwhile I keep getting this message on the display screen every time I get into the car which to me says that the ignition is not switching off when I leave the car.
I am now booked into the garage for the second time to see what can be found.
Has anyone else had similar problems and what caused it? Rectangle Gadget Output device Font Display device

·
Registered
82 Posts
Did the bigger EV battery also fail

·
Registered
2020 Mk3 Titainium Lucid Red 1.5Ltr Diesel
130 Posts
Mine is NOT PHEV (diesel), but I’ve had that very same message after turning off the engine. Turned the ignition back on and then pressed the clutch and started the engine. All correct no warnings. After a couple of minutes again turned the engine off, but no warnings. That was approx two months ago, no problems since.

·
Registered
Mk3 2.5 litre phev st line
9 Posts
Twice recently I have gone to my car ( 3months old) and found the whole car dead. Doors would not unlock and after using manual key the whole instrument cluster dead as the proverbial DoDo.
On the 1st occasion I called out Ford Assist (AA) and the patrolman managed to get under the bonnet and found that the 12v auxiliary battery was reading 4.1v. He connected a power pack and managed to get the car started. His diagnostic computer showed a number of faults - some he managed to clear but advised booking it into a Ford dealer to get it checked for software updates and to get car reset.. The car was booked in last week but after they had it for best part of the day phoned that they couldn’t look at it as their technician was off sick! - Apparently they only have 1 qualified to work on Plug in Hybrids !. Anyway After another week it went dead again - this time dropping to 4.3v. Meanwhile I keep getting this message on the display screen every time I get into the car which to me says that the ignition is not switching off when I leave the car.
Has anyone else had similar problems and what caused it? View attachment 8666

·
Registered
Mk3 2.5 litre phev st line
9 Posts
I have had these problems along with many others. Has this car had the battery replaced , not the high energy one, Ford had a recall to change the batteries on these cars

·
Registered
2021 Kuga St Line 1st Edition PHEV in Lucid Red
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had these problems along with many others. Has this car had the battery replaced , not the high energy one, Ford had a recall to change the batteries on these cars
No it is the original battery but as car is only 3 months old would have thought the battery should be OK

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,991 Posts
The mk3 appear to be be riddled with faults.
tjats why I’m holding off😵‍💫

·
Registered
2021 S/Silver Vignale 225 FWD PHEV
202 Posts
The mk3 appear to be be riddled with faults.
tjats why I’m holding off😵‍💫
Tbh, mine is coming upto 3 months old and has been problem free since day one.
As someone said, must people here will come on to post faults. The majority are probably free.
Though that doesn't deny any issues people face.

·
Enjoying the VIN-YA-LEE
2,991 Posts
That may have been myself that made that comment on people having issues and others not.
it’s not just cars is it….I got something from Argos the other week, got home and it was faulty.
From what I read on here most issues are with the 2.5 battery model PHEV. There doesn’t seem to be many AWD diesel owners of the new model. I’m not changing now but if I was I’d be going down the hybrid route but I think there is still some way to go yet with available distances etc and mpg.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had an almost identical issue, which turned out to be caused by an incorrectly wired dash cam. When that was rewired correctly, the problem went away.

·
Registered
592 Posts
No it is the original battery but as car is only 3 months old would have thought the battery should be OK
What is the build date of the car ? Is it a MY21 car or a MY20 car that has sat around waiting for the HV battery change and has a weak 12v battery? In your profile you say 1st Edition and all of these cars will have had the HV battery changed. There were no MY20 Kuga PHEV's built after September 2020, when production restarted in January 2021 they were all MY21 cars. If your car really is a First Edition then the 12v battery is likely to have been flat for a big chunk of the winter waiting for the HV battery replacement!

The fault codes will all be down to the low voltage and only EV approved technicians can work on EV's and PHEV's (any car maker). Poking around in the wrong place can be very dangerous.

The good news is a new 12v battery should fix it (together with any software updates missed previously.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had an almost identical issue, which turned out to be caused by an incorrectly wired dash cam. When that was rewired correctly, the problem went away.
How was it wired wrong and what was the correct

·
Registered
Kuga 2021 ST-Line X PHEV Magnetic
127 Posts
I wonder if Halfords put it on a permanent live which, depending on the dashcam, may flatten the battery over time??

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wonder if Halfords put it on a permanent live which, depending on the dashcam, may flatten the battery over time??
Quite possibly. The rear cam interfered with the DAB and the guy couldn’t fix it, so he recommended another unit. I moved it along a bit, which fixed that particular issue. However the battery drain turned out to be the bigger issue.

·
Registered
2020 Mk3 Titainium Lucid Red 1.5Ltr Diesel
130 Posts
Reactions: davidoff

·
Registered
1 Posts
That may have been myself that made that comment on people having issues and others not.
it’s not just cars is it….I got something from Argos the other week, got home and it was faulty.
From what I read on here most issues are with the 2.5 battery model PHEV. There doesn’t seem to be many AWD diesel owners of the new model. I’m not changing now but if I was I’d be going down the hybrid route but I think there is still some way to go yet with available distances etc and mpg.
Has anyone else had similar problems and what caused it? View attachment 8666
had that problem dealer said BLISS was draining the 12v battery they did an update all’s been well

1 - 20 of 21 Posts