Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

new here so hopefully I got the right section to post in but admin feel free to move if I messed up.

About a month ago my partner was collecting the shopping from a local supermarket on leaving the car park her 2014 4WD Kuga completely died, no warning, no limp home mode and nothing on the dash.

I was without my car at this time too but thankfully some kind people helped her push it off the roundabout where it was blocking the road and back into the car park. Where she phoned the RAC and eventually the arrived and couldn’t do anything so they arranged a tow the following day to the Swindon Ford garage.

typically being a Sunday the service centres car park was closed, so it was left on the sales side with the dolly’s so it could be moved back across to the service centre.

Fast forward a month and Ford are saying after a couple hundred £’s of investigation/diagnostics etc. That it (maybe) the PCM unit and associated parts that need to be replaced but can’t guarantee this will fix the issue. With a cost + what has already happened of around £2k.

has anyone heard of this issue and if any idea of the cause, does that cost sound a bit high but it’s no guarantee it will fix it.
Thanks
Mark

·
Mr. Happy
Kuga 2ltr AWD Titanium X, Midnight Sky.
1,331 Posts
Unfortunately some garages are of the opinion "Throw lots of dosh at the car and it will.................eventually fix the problem".

Take it to a garage that have "Proper Mechanic's" and not these "Technicians" as they are now called.

Go on a recommendation from a friend that has used the garage before.

·
Super Moderator and Mr Grumpy
5,787 Posts
Don't let them do the work. The diagnosis is they are going to spend £2k of your money on your car which may or may not fix the problem only to find it's maybe nothing more than a faulty battery lead. Not really what you should expect from a ford garage.

I assume nothing on your car works so no radio, no lights, a complete loss of electrical supply.

What exactly did the RAC check.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

·
Registered
Kuga, 2011 titanium 2wd 2.0tdci 140bhp black
37 Posts
Rac... real arsey company... when we had a prob with the focus it was the clocks, I found this my self. Rac knew fook all, and left the misses stranded.
Welcome to the forum buddy, as Mr smart asked, do you have power to anything? Have you looked for any loose terminals, ender the bonnet? In theory if u have no power, u have no supply

·
Registered
2019 Kuga St-Line 2.0 Petrol
21 Posts
I don't like the attitude of "£2k MIGHT fix it". If it doesn't then you shouldn't have to pay for the part and give it back.

Not sure what it's like in the UK, but here we would never take a car to a "Stealership" once the car is outside of manufacturers warranty, mostly for reasons you have mentioned above.

See if you can get a referral for a local trustworthy independent mechanic and get a 2nd opinion.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Titanium X with 2017 Powershift Conversion.
1,571 Posts
You can buy a 2nd hand PCM for £200 ish, needs coding tough I would have though.

I do quite a lot of fault finding, and seen quite a few times other shops are just bloody useless unless they start firing the parts cannon..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts