Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
How is this for one. somebody I know

Discovery 4 2.7 v6 Tdci, sluggish won't rev up, and therefore won't kick down on auto gearbox.
Checked under bonnet then eventually took it to a local independent garage for diagnostics.
It wasn't in for long, as once carpet removed from under accelerator it revs up!..

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have to agree with Psshaw about the technicians. Took wife's Panda to local Fiat dealer as it was sluggish bad on fuel and dead spot when you pull away they plugged it into computer said nothing wrong took it to local garage they found a small pipe come off somewhere put it back on totally different car. Fiat answer was if the computer say's no fault how can they fix it. Unfortunately they don't train fitter's anymore only computer tech's. Small independent garage much better.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You found the fault keithmac because you are a proper mechanic. All we seem to have now are technicians and fitters. The technician plugs the car in and then fits a new part or multiple parts according to the instructions on screen until the fault goes away. I remember the fan on my boiler stopped working as the bearings had failed. Cost of a genuine ideal fan.... £110. Cost of replacement bearings...£4...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi all, did have mine going 'flat' in a few days when stood (a while back, mind you)
Found the dashcam was draining the system at the time, so unplugged the supply whilst stood on the drive....
I have made up a voltage indicator using an old cigar plug and tiny LED voltage readout fitted in the end.
Trying it out = findings = car stood a week, voltage reads 11.7v, started it up, voltage on idle 14.5v - 14.8v.
Whilst still idling, switched both screen heaters on, voltage dropped to 12.2v then rose back up to 14.7v, so the battery does charge at tickover, contrary to other posts (new battery was fitted a few months ago, YUASA wet type)
Car starts after being stood for at least 5 days...........

Paul S.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
hi all update on battery , they had my car from tuesday to tuesday , they said there machine couldnt find a fault why battery was going dead but on the following monday the car wouldnt start , so they orderd a new battery , then garage called me saying what they have done , so we had a few words , about it all , so battery fitted wed he said he would try it again on sat ,i said dont try it on monday so 5 days , see how it goes ,or not , then what , seems to me it was a suck it and see job, they gave me a 15oo ecoboost kuga 2 wheel goes bloody well but i havent moved it so toped the tank up ,it took 5.25 in petrol for 28 miles , christ they are thirsty , and thats me not going fast and neutral when ever i can .i said at the beginning charge the battery and test it each day off the car if it holds after 5 days its the car , then put it on and watrch the drain but they know it all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
well got a call to collect car today , they said it started first thing after 5 days , well hope so , never got a paper report or a verbal from anyone in charge just the keys from receptionist , so fingers crossed its a dead cell in the battery . that was at fault .

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
.🤞🤞🤞

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sorted at last. If they had done a proper test on the battery in the first place instead of plugging into the obd socket they might have found the fault earlier.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
funny how they keep saying there technision , im to old for this crap , there electrician , when i want something sorted i want a person with a name to there career, ie a plumber not some fancy name for one that just picked it up , im a welder not a riviter 2 differant things , an electrician does exactly that and thats all he knows he dosent start stripping engines , to me a technition is some one a wee bit better than a tradesman .time served ,like a wee bit less than an engineer. but im 62 and remember the progresion up the tree .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
oh forgot to say that when my car was parked for ages and aa man got me started the warning light came up on dash saying service due water in filter /diesel it was amber but next time it came up red box, but after taking for a run .stopping and re starting they both went away , then battery all sorted ,

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Dom, I don't get the impression whatsoever that the electrical technician is an electrician and by far not an electrical engineer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Heating engineer gets me. When really a plumber, No not even that, you are a 'pipe connector', as you don't need the skill to solder nowadays or bend pipe to keep smooth flow.

Ask one of these heating engineers: if primary flow x & secondary flow y what size of heat exchanger do I need.
Their answer is 'I just fit combi's!'
A local British Gas trained 'engineer' told me my heating system wouldn't work. funny that been in 21yr & I get change for £150/yr for my gas bill! Left to him. fit a combi…

Then give them a wiring diagram to wire up.. cant do that.. but you are an 'engineer' to engineer things, it says that on your van! (Then their sparkie mate wires it up as a standard system and it won't work.. Then I end up doing it!)

I'll stop now!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Heating engineer gets me. When really a plumber, No not even that, you are a 'pipe connector', as you don't need the skill to solder nowadays or bend pipe to keep smooth flow.

Ask one of these heating engineers: if primary flow x & secondary flow y what size of heat exchanger do I need.
Their answer is 'I just fit combi's!'
A local British Gas trained 'engineer' told me my heating system wouldn't work. funny that been in 21yr & I get change for £150/yr for my gas bill! Left to him. fit a combi…

Then give them a wiring diagram to wire up.. cant do that.. but you are an 'engineer' to engineer things, it says that on your van! (Then their sparkie mate wires it up as a standard system and it won't work.. Then I end up doing it!)

I'll stop now!
im a welder my car a few years ago didnt pass its mot as chasis runner was rusted iasked where ,he showed me i sais its not holed a bit worn and compromised , quizzicle look on his face he d=said it would have to get welded by a qualified welder , ok ill get it done at the weekend , as im a welder , he sais a few times qualified , i told him ive served my time as welder for 40 years i said where are thease qualified welders he said i dont know , anyways joib got welded took it back he had a look looked at me and thought im not goiing there . pass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Dom, I don't get the impression whatsoever that the electrical technician is an electrician and by far not an electrical engineer.
filco ive said in the past i think you know your thing , im 62 time served welder blacksmith for 44 years now retired , so when i went to college elecs were in there classes same as welders and fitters instuments and all everyone new there trade and didnt cross over , then in more ,modern years its all changed and i new a lot of garage mechanics , so when i turn up and someone says he,s a technition i scratch my head , i have asked what the training was and in a lot of cases its modules , done in months not years , but they study all concepts of there trade ie master of all master of none .plug and play hook up the computer and it will tell you what part is gubbed where the stores bin is and a diagram as to fit , im going on here but you learn from your masters in my book yes to me there was a stepping stone in my career 4 years welding then years to perfect it then learing the new ways .but metal is metal the young ones dont know what it is and how it reacts .matalurgy . same as any trade so welder .welder technition master welder prof of welding bsc in welding ,

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'll quote another. A fitter in a shipyard... I know the size of every nut & bolt on the submarine.

My reply: Why don't you carry the correct size spanner or socket rather than a adjustable?
He regularly rounded off heads, and f.ed threads up. So much so I would look at the job he was on in the morning and order thread repair kits for afternoon delivery.

If the furlough scheme was available then (20yr ago) I could have furloughed him and saved the company a lot of money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'll quote another. A fitter in a shipyard... I know the size of every nut & bolt on the submarine.

My reply: Why don't you carry the correct size spanner or socket rather than a adjustable?
He regularly rounded off heads, and f.ed threads up. So much so I would look at the job he was on in the morning and order thread repair kits for afternoon delivery.

If the furlough scheme was available then (20yr ago) I could have furloughed him and saved the company a lot of money.
i can relate to that and takes me back , i worked in a power station so it was large ,first thing i noticed was everyone got a full tool kit , but everyone walked about with an adjustable spanner,s , i said why ,because we dont know the job we are going to so why double the walking , if it can get done there and then , besides it will adjust everything from ob to bsw af metric unf and bsf and everything inbetween , mm only thing is you loose a lot of skin and blood using one if it slips of and if you have a scafold pole on it and it breaks a jaw oh i was a welder , i was allways told and taught to use the right tool for the right job. in the days of shipyards on the clyde if a fitter drilled a hole and it hit wood on the other side the joiners /carpenters would walk of the job , i worked beside a guy who worked on the qe 2 on the clyde he said if everyone on the ship brought back what they stole they could built another one .

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Brings back memories of a conversation with my neighbour. He was a “fitter” in Sunderland shipyards and when they closed he went for an interview at a crane manufacturer, told me he was rather annoyed when the interviewer said “ we use more tools than a shifting spanner and hammer, what’s in your toolbox”

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
we had a guy who once worked for rolls royce engines you should have seen his tool kit ,draw and box , immaculate ,cleand every night put back in its space .

·
Registered
594 Posts
Torque multipliers.... those who know, know where this is going...

A torque multiplier is a small hand held gearbox, say 5 to 1. it fits between the socket and a torque wrench for high torqueing or tightening up of mainly large bolts. So you don't need a 3 mile bar to nip up a M50 thread.

So if a nut needs 500Nm set the torque wrench to 100Nm and use a multiplier.
One of our muppets at a un named nuclear power station (They are building a new one next door) set the torque wrench to 500 AND used a multiplier, Then told us ALL the crane rail bolts were faulty as they broke before reaching the required torque. (The week before I personally was at the test house testing the batch!) He stopped at the 1st 10.
That took some correcting, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous, now wonder I have grey hair!

41 - 60 of 64 Posts