Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
David out of curiosity did you check what volatge was across the battery at the end of the charge while the charger was still connected?
I'm not sure if it was logged in ForScan- I think I posted a screen print of the SOC in another thread? It was probably charging slowly at a steady float voltage/ low current. My theory is the charger indicates full (via a green LED on my Ctek) to merely tell you the battery is good to go/ will start an engine. Based on a preset time at the float stage perhaps?

My battery being over 4yo may also slow the full SOC process down.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
OK, just nice to know real world figures.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I did a inter web search after I posted my comments and it did say that it also charges on idle. Hey ho

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I did a inter web search after I posted my comments and it did say that it also charges on idle. Hey ho
I did think you were taking the P in your previous post saying the battery was charged when braking, i.e. ford using F1 technology. You have been known to post the odd wind up lol. Not much need for brakes these days as so little traffic apart from supermarket car parks.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Me wind up, how dare you sir!

PMSL

we all do coasting tho and that charges up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
wow surprised at the ammount of messages , filico seems to know what he is talking about and the other guy with a 4 moth old car ,yes its not nice knowing about battery drain , in old days it would be a short going to earth somewhere , not expected in a new motor , i e mailed ford but still waiting , ill give it till monday if nothing ill phone assist .
1 is it the battery draining
2 is it in the electrical circuit

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Did you know that the ford kuga Diesel engine has a “self engine flush mode”

yeah, whenever reverse is used the water pump rotates in the opposite direction and therefore reverses the water flow ensuring that all raiding or capillaries are keep free from become clogged. They fact that reverse is not used for long distances doesn’t affect the cooling. There is a simple divert valve to prevent it going into the header tank.
Very useful and in conjunction with the approved antifreeze the engine should be sludge and gunk free.
Very smart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
hi just to let you know ive had the AA out 3 times to start the car each time i had to take for a run , costing me just to charge it up , been chatting to ford via email about it and they found me a garage in coatbridge ford evans halshaw , took it to them on this tuesday , they said they would check it out and let me know , but i called them and they said they couldnt find anything , odd i have two printouts from the aa saying battery drain , and theres no point putting a new battery on as it would happen again , they said there computer cant find anything ,and there better than an aa man dig . ,then lass from ford called me asking how courtesy car was i said fine but then told her what garage said , she called them and they said they were going to keep the car till next tuesday so a wee bit of clout , bet they rolled it out the back , forgot to say that on tuesday afternoon i called garage and the guy said we usualy look at them for 2 hours if we cant find anything then its yours ,i said whats the point of me having a car that wont start every 5th day and the aa out to start it , no just you keep it ,when its sorted you tell me , after all its 8 months old 30 odd thou motor no point me looking at it . and cant use it . balls in there court .also said to girl from ford if it cant be fixed she better look up her web page for a replacement same spec .

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
Hope they find it. Surprised no auto electrician hasn't made himself a current drain baby sitter that can warn you that the battery is being drained. Not a hard thing to make and they wouldnt have to sit looking at it. Is it so regular as well Dom, i.e every 5th day or so.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Have you got a dashcam or towbar fitted by any chance. My Kuga stands 5 days no problem and then only gets a run to the shops and still starts fine 5 days later and the battery is 4 years old. You need a test done on the battery to tell if its the battery. I think they call it a drop test or a crank test. I know on my other car it was down to 70%.

I understand it is difficult at present to get tests done but a real easy test to see if it's the battery. Charge it fully, then disconnect it from the car for 5 days. Reconnect it and if it starts, it's the car. If it doesn't its the battery. Like one of the above posts says the alarm draws very little power.

One thing I will say it is very unprofessional of the garage to criticise the AA. I am sure the AA has managed to diagnose faults and get people on their way many times more than a stealership.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
filco and smart guy thanks for answering , yes i have a tow bar , yes maybe battery off and put meter on it , aa man put loop meter on battery cable with engine on and off then he saw battery loosing charge ,dash cam is wired to ignition ,so its off when cars of ive asked nexstbase this and the said it off completly . i wonder if the cuortesy lights go out whether switched on or not when ig off. battery is at 11 volts not enought to turn engine , but does charge to over 13 ill wait for them to call me but a good auto elec should i hope in ford know where to go with it ,its a common prob going by forums and google search ,

·
Registered
913 Posts
It can take up to half an hour for all systems to shut down and all contol modules to go to sleep.

Plus you have the built in alarm that requires power for the cabin sensors etc.

Plus some modules have Keep Alive Memory (the PCM and TCM do plus BCM).

If your standing it up for weeks a battery tender is the best bet (Optimate or CTEK are good).

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I agree with keithmac above but stood for 5 days it should start without bother. Who hard wired the dashcam in. There was someone on here who had one fitted and whoever fitted it had not done it properly. It should be piggy backed to fuse 85. Also check that your boot light goes off when you shut the boot. The reason I asked about the tow bar is it will have a split charge relay for charging the caravan battery and powering the fridge. It could be faulty and drawing power.

My guess is it's the car or car battery but if ford find it's one of your after market accessories that is causing the problem they will be asking you to pay.

·
Registered
2019 Kuga st line, stealth grey, 2.0 diesel
22 Posts
I think I found the cause of my problem, I disconnected my nextbase 522gw from the cigarette lighter and the car has been fine since, no problems at all. Saying that, I always thought that the cigarette lighter was powered down when car is turned off. I'm a bit confused really, still the car starts fine now, no problems. Brother in law had same problem with his nextbase cam, but his was hard wired.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Cigarette/accessory sockets are permanently live, you’re better of hardwiring dash cam in to switched ignition circuit then when you switch off you know it is off, I have set mine to power down 10 seconds after ignition is cut.
Sounds like your brothers was not connected to a ignition switched circuit

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The so called technicians have lost there way a bit. The only investigation is to plug it in and if the the computer says no, then there’s no fault. The seemed to have lost the technical ability to think outside the box....and I guess that is restrained by any costs they will loose by doing warranty work.
hope it all works out 💪

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
As I’ve said before, both my front and rear dash cams are plugged into a usb splitter in the from power socket. It has a blue led to show when it is powered up and since I’ve done it this way it is an auto function to push it in or pull it out. Also when parking up at the supermarket and I have to park up where either is needed I can pull the cable out to leave the other on.
Glad it’s all sorted and let’s hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I keep thinking its 1st April and someone having a joke.. Great Fix though.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The so called technicians have lost there way a bit. The only investigation is to plug it in and if the the computer says no, then there’s no fault. The seemed to have lost the technical ability to think outside the box....and I guess that is restrained by any costs they will loose by doing warranty work.
hope it all works out 💪
I repaired a motorcycle a few years back, had been to 5 so called main dealers. Last one wanted to fit £600 worth of ecu.

Just riding it up ramp into workshop it was evident it had low fuel pressure, guaged confirmed it (1/2 hr tops).

Ended up being a split pipe in the fuel tank, no fault codes stored so no idea it seems!..

Bloke was over the moon, I was quietly shocked how poor the other garages had been dealing with his fault.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts