Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many will recall my recent bleat about the Sony DAB radio fitted to the Titanium I asked fellow owners if they had ever experienced this problem. Aside from radio cutting out, andlosing signal (low signal strength)the most annoying problem is Radio On, FM or DAB makes no difference and the radio will instantly cut out and a message PHONE: CALL IN PROGRESS will be emblazoned across screen whenmessage disappears the radio comes back on? (No Bluetooth or Voice Rec fitted) On phone to yesterday to dealer who (because 60 mile of distance away) said he had never heard of this one and admitted he was puzzledand the big bat came out and advised me to contactFord Customer Service? and they said that they were not technical and suggested I book vehicle into adealer? Was hoping thata Kuga owner/KOC member out there would be able to assist with a simple solution cannot believe nobody else has experienced this Sony DAB radio problem.I just think DAB and the imminent Digital TV isjust a half developedtechnology that they cannot fully deliver on, other Countries are not supporting DAB and you really have to ask yourself why?Kuga is four weeks old now, carpet looks worn (fluffed up) in some areas (previous cars mats lasted 2 yrs+ ) Ford if you are reading thisCheese slices sewn together would be a **** of a lot more hardwearing.Still lovin the car. Kuga& S-Max Voted Best tow car 2009. Kuga 2WD Highly Commended in this weeksAuto Express 2009 Cars of the Year. Bob.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I must stick up for the DAB system. On the Kuga it has a bee a bit dissapointing due to the cutting in and out but this seems to only happen to me on a certain few station and I'm sure its something to do with the tuning.

But I must say that before I had the Kuga I had a Focus ST with the 6 Disc Dab radio and it never let me down. It was fantastic and only ever dropped signal in one area of my city which is right at the bottom of a hill. So I have to stick up for the DAB system and if like me you like listening to talk sport on MW you'll need to get a DAB system as it makes the sound quality so much better on MW stations.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Hendo like I said my opinion is that DAB is a flawed technology that needs further development I have two DAB radios in the house as mentioned and have to admit Iwas duped and purchased themfollowing all the hype, truth is for me personally FM is a far more stable wavelength. There was much talk about a DAB version 2 or DABv2 being released which was supposed to fix all the common failures of DAB 1 (version 1) that has never materialised as yet but now we learn that if it is introducedunfortunately? it cannotbejust a quick fix, it iswill require "get this" abrand new receiver? clearly they cannot fixthe existingDAB v1 technology which would suggest thatwhat some people are experiencing is not aminor problem,by introducing aDABv2 theyare admittingthat DAB1 is like I say flawed. FinallyI dounderstand that a good DAB signal strength is very much dependant onyour local transmitter, clearly ours is notoriously poor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a DAB radio in the house I bought about 5 years ago it's a idec cube I think and it's never missed a beat. I only use it listen to talk sport cos MW channels have really bad sound qality. As you say you live in a bad area for transmitting but as I said before I dont get many problems at all with the technology and would never look back.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I dont use the DAB radio in mine cause its crap, spends more time "searching" than letting me hear the station, I use the analogue all the time, and this is with BBC stations!! dread to think what local ones would be like!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi WAZ1 Cheers for that begining to think there was some knd of conspiracy going on. As you say you use the other bands FM to be honest is a **** of a lot better and more stable than DAB. My personal opinion is for some the people who read all the hype and were drawn in about DAB & the CD quality sound they have all been duped and I suspect that all those people who have been persuaded into thinking that Digital TV is going to amaze us all I have to say I have serious doubts just like DABunless youhavethe transmitter nailed to your gable end then forget it. Gullible yes I hold both hands upI could not quite believe just howbad the first DAB radio I boughtwas (Intempo)soI went out and bought another (Pure) that was not quite as bad but generally signal strength was poor which is down to a lack of transmitter upgradeinvestmentwhich is supressing full coverage. Some have commented that they haveexperienced no such problems well done and a round of applause to all of them but sadly there are a lot of people who feel exactly the way I do "Coming To An Area Near You Soon, High Def Con 2" Prepare to be disappointed . . . . . You have been warned!

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Freddie Kuga.To be fair and honest you ain't missing much, I stick to FM only and just use anI-Podvia 3.5mm jack and throughthe radio now that I accept is useful but reception generally in My DAB is absolute pap.Guernsey no DAB no BBC reception? but hey beautiful place though. Regards. Bob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts