Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it that makes the Kuga steering seem to creep a little? Whatever the steering mode, the wheels seem to want to follow any little line in the road. I find myself gripping the steering wheel tightly, for fear of it being dragged off into some indentation in the road.

Am I the only one with this concern?

Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think what your refering to is called Tramlining.Its when the type wants to follow lines on the road surface.

It can be due to a few things but is mainly due to the tyres.
What kind of tyres and what size are they? 
Low profile tyres tend to be more prone to this.
Some tyres have wide groves which don't help

Suspension Geometry can also cause this but is less likely.  
The castor angle is the one to have checked.

Not noticed this on mine.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
287 Posts
tramlining is normal issue here though i do note if a road slopes i tend to find I am holding the wheel a bit offset to stop car drifting that way.on a long road i get a slight ache in one hand on heavily sloped roads.motorways are OK.
have it checked out for steering geometry .not kerbed it have we?

·
Registered
119 Posts
MyKuga, i have this on my focus quite bad as they are really low profile, however, have not found this to be the case on The Kuga.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. I have 19inchers, not low-profile. I guess it's something I just have to get used to. At least I know the technical term, now: tramlining - thank you! I am very conscious of how tightly I'm holding the steering wheel. Not quite white-knuckle style, but ... The steering paranoia wasn't helped by the power steering failing last week. I've had a look on the forum and see that it was a fault on some July 09 builds. Oh joy.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I know it sounds obvious but check your tyres, my Kuga started pulling ever so lightly to the leftlast week. I was in heavy, slow moving traffic so I let the steering wheel run through my hands and there was definately a tendancyto do aleft turn. Got home and yes, I had low tyre pressure in the rear passenger side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts